Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shiva Arms, Why no advantages?
Glyph
post Dec 14 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,449

You know, I'm looking at the entry for Shiva Arms, and it strikes me as strange that they don't really offer much in the way of tangible advantages. You can hold extra things. You can make multiple attacks (as if mere dual-wielding wasn't gimped enough already - now you can split your dice pool even more!). And that's about it.

Satyr Legs, by contrast, give you an increased movement rate, a +2 Strength bonus for kicking, and +2 for gymnastics, including gymnastics dodge.

Shouldn't Shiva Arms give something similar? Like, I don't know, +1 on unarmed blocking and grappling tests per extra set of arms, +2 to resist being disarmed, and +2 to climbing tests? Or is that too much? What does everyone else think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 14 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #2

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Glyph, your list makes perfect sense to me. I don't know why four arms wouldn't help in all those ways.

Peter

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 14 2008, 06:49 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Well, four attacks is useful if you have the dice pool to pull it off. If you can manage to hit with multiple attacks, your overall damage will be increased.

That said, I think the primary reason is that a)if they where realistic they would be too powerful, and b)giving a bunch of small bonuses for one quality is a record keeping nightmare.

+Quote Post
MaxMahem
post Dec 14 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,097

I had a troll in my group with this advantage. I gave him +2 dice for unarmed combat tests when he wasn't splitting his pool as well. I figure if reach gives you bonus dice, extra arms should as well.

Even with that your right that the combat advantage is only so-so. Though a very strong person could conceivably deal considerably more damage against an oppoent he could hit with all 4 attacks with, such an opponent isn't likely to be much of a challenge in the first place.

A pistol adepts with a huge pool firing 4 guns at a time might do better. I'd have to run the numbers on it and see. Probably only breaks even on the amount you would have to spend to get the arms and ambidexterity for them though.

+Quote Post
NPCMook
post Dec 14 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 16,635

Well you could give them a momentary bonus for using all 4-6 hands to strike with a one-handed weapon adding an additional +1DV per pair of hands

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 14 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You try rappelling down a building while carrying a baby and firing a rocket at a helicopter with less than six hands. And you can't drop the baby. Apparently, babies don't bounce on concrete. I learned that one the hard way.

+Quote Post
NPCMook
post Dec 14 2008, 08:37 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,635

Its a shame that to Subdue a target you must maintain the grapple through complex action, so no firing with your extra arms while dragging the target out/Choking them out.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Dec 14 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 14 2008, 04:31 PM) *
You try rappelling down a building while carrying a baby and firing a rocket at a helicopter with less than six hands. And you can't drop the baby. Apparently, babies don't bounce on concrete. I learned that one the hard way.

Ever since I surged my set of crocodile jaws, I've found babies quite easy to carry... in my mouth.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Dec 14 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

In arsenal there is a semi-auto grenade pistol. With air burst the scatter on that is next to nothing, so your actually attack doesn't matter much. Shiva arms would let you put 8 white phosphorus grenades down field in 1 IP.

The other thing worth doing with them is using a very tiny attack at to ablate a defense pool.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 14 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Splitting the Dice Pool a couple more ways is not really that much of a penalty ... if you are already planning on dual-wielding. And nothing says you have to split the Dice Pool evenly.

But the biggest advantage to four working arms, at least firearms-wise, would have to be the Suppressive Fire possibilities. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 14 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

problems arise with cybering up those arms . . 6 arms, 2 legs, torso and head would ammount to about -10 to -15 essence or something like that on standard grade . .
the arms alone would cost you your life and any other upgradeability . .
and how much does it cost to use bio/cyber-muscles with this?
do i have to pay more, because i have more limbs?

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 14 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Splitting the Dice Pool a couple more ways is not really that much of a penalty ... if you are already planning on dual-wielding. And nothing says you have to split the Dice Pool evenly.

Oh yeah. If anything, I would have one SMG be the ''damage weapon'' and the other one be the ''suppressive fire'' weapon. Don't need so many hits to toss out a wide burst to keep folks pinned down, and a nice, high Agility, reflex recorder, and the like, could make them hella gunners.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Dec 14 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

Ever gone into a fight carrying an Ares Alpha, a ballistic shield, and a vibrosword?

+Quote Post
Namelessjoe
post Dec 14 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 16,532

i think fluf wise also there arent many people who would be adult runners who were borne with 4-6 arms so it would be a question of knowing how to use all your arms yes its natural but its still new neurology or physiology to be used to so there's no penalty to having it because your probably more used to it but not to the point of full bonus giving integration..... and you can always take ambidextrous and such to mitigate penalty for dual wielding

+Quote Post
MaxMahem
post Dec 14 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,097

QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 14 2008, 12:12 PM) *
Ever gone into a fight carrying an Ares Alpha, a ballistic shield, and a vibrosword?

Can't say that I have, no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

---

Seriously though one item I can't belive the left out of augementation was extra cyberarms! Why should those changelings get all the fun?
Extra cyberarms cost 15,000 nuyen and .5 essence each. They are in all other respects the same as normal cyberarms.

You can also get synthetic versions for 20k... but really whats the point?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 14 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 14 2008, 05:12 PM) *

How much for the custom dual-wield gyro-mount (troll-sized)?

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Dec 14 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

If you need to give extra arms a mechanical advantage, then the player isn't being smart enough.

Laying suppressive fire to keep their heads down whilst lobbing grenades over their cover.
Pinning a guys arms, and still being able to drumroll punch him in the face.
Carrying all four of your unconscious team-mates out of the building (this is what augmented Strength is for. Remember that Strength 8 is superhuman. That means comic book levels of carrying capacity).
Drive-by on a motorcycle.
Not having to drop your pistols just to ready your combat axe.
Dual wielding miniguns.

I was going to carry on with that list, but then I stopped, re-read the last line, and realised that nothing else will top that. Ever.

Seriously people.

Dual. Wielding. Miniguns.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Dec 14 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #18

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Apart form duel/tri wielding gauss rifles.....

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Dec 14 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

QUOTE (Dumori @ Dec 14 2008, 02:21 PM) *
Apart form duel/tri wielding gauss rifles.....

Better yet, keep the gyromounted minigun at waist level and shoulder the gauss rifle. One for the mooks, one for the hard targets.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 14 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

Make custom grenades that are essentially 40mm chainsaws. Then modify three 40mm grenade launchers to fire full auto. Then modify three regular chainsaws with a laser from a crescent laser axe laser. Then tri-wield full-automatic chainsaw launchers with underbarrel laser chainsaws.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Dec 14 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #21

Dumorimasoddaa

or you could be sensable and tri wield gauss rifles with underbarrel miniguns or LMGs-MMGs (the weapon has to be smaller so so by RAW it shoul work and as there blet feed the half ammo capacity isnt an issue plus with a grenade launcher on a articulated weapon arm or a balista missile launcher on his back or both this might just be over kill. I have to make this troll now needs an epic strength and body.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 14 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Looking at this again, compared to the Satyr Leg's stuff(only two of which really count for anyone-the running speed and the gymnastics dodge-the third you need Unarmed Combat to use effectively and a +2 Strength basically equates to one extra DV and a bit better knockdown chance), Shiva Arms are in and of themselves made of more awesome with the things you can do with them. Now, style-wise I prefer the Satyr Legs, but with actual utility, I think Shiva Arms kinda have this one in the bag by a longshot.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 14 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #23

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Dumori @ Dec 14 2008, 02:40 PM) *
or you could be sensable and tri wield gauss rifles with underbarrel miniguns or LMGs-MMGs (the weapon has to be smaller so so by RAW it shoul work and as there blet feed the half ammo capacity isnt an issue plus with a grenade launcher on a articulated weapon arm or a balista missile launcher on his back or both this might just be over kill. I have to make this troll now needs an epic strength and body.

Only if they're underbarrel gyrojet miniguns.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Dec 14 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #24

Dumorimasoddaa

That's doable I think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) if not the laser minguns will have to do.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 14 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I'm not saying that being able to carry lots of different weapons, and easily switch between them, isn't a big advantage in and of itself. But it still bugged me, from a logical standpoint, why an extra set (or two) of arms would offer no mechanical advantage in those areas I listed.

Although unarmed combat, I remember a discussion of martial arts maneuvers, when I said you basically had to choose between the super-high damage codes you could get with unarmed, and the defensive advantages you get from two weapon style. Cain replied that he suddenly saw a use for Shiva Arms. Daaamn. Now that would be pretty overpowering. Dunno, though. In a way, it makes sense. You normally can't get two weapon style because you use both arms in unarmed combat, but two sets of arms? On the other hand, it's not like they have centuries of developing four-armed fighting styles, and the person with four arms still has a normal person's ability to coordinate different tasks. So I could see the benefits I suggested before, simply from having an extra set of arms, but getting the advantage of always-on full defense? I'm not so sure about that.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.