IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Runner's Pets, Ever have one of those players...
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Dec 17 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,274

No, I'm not on about in character pets here. I'm on about real life animals that your players have and that being a travelling GM you have to contend with to operate your games at their homes.

Now, I like animals. I've got used to cats especially and know well enough to anticipate a sudden moggy's pounce as I roll my dice. I'm even starting to think that one of my player's has deliberately been training her cats to attack my rolls, but cats being cats they also end up scattering their rolls too.

No. This post is about the new dog. I can protect my notes from muddy paws and my books from its slobber (yup its one of those boxer breeds and despite this habit, a nice mutt overall) but last session it actually ate my dice! (OK, only one, but I reckon that now got a taste for them...)

Anyone else out there had similar problems?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Dec 17 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

I call shenannigans!

You just wanted an excuse not to GM (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 17 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

if there's cats, i will usually rather try and play with them or pet them than play SR O.o

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Dec 17 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Dec 17 2008, 03:43 PM) *
I call shenannigans!

You just wanted an excuse not to GM (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Heh, if only. No I still ran the game - I like to torment my players too much not to. This just gave me a good excuse to be nastier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)
No, I was just really annoed that the dog had actually gone for one of my original yahtzee D6s - the ones I've been using for Shadowrun since 1989! Wouldn't really of cared much about the other bunch of D6's I use for "pool" additions (yeah, it's a 3rd ED game). Well, you know how attached you can get to a set of dice you've had for ages, yeah? Kind of like they're my Pattern Items or something.

We'll see if it survives the dog and gets "retrieved" I guess. Maybe it'll have mysterious magical properties! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) Hmmm, then I can use it for rolls when my group's PCs are really in the c**p...

As for the cats, yeah there are two of the furry blighters and they're just out of kittenhood and so will attack just about anything that twitches. But then I as I said, I'm used to cats and as long as they don't deliberately sprawl out on my notes behind the GM screen to "Oi-I'm-in-your-line-of-sight-so-pay-me-some-attention!" we get on alright.

Don't know if I'd be the same should someone get a tarantula and let that wander over my screen. Might upset a few people with my reaction to that one...

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Dec 17 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE @ Dec 17 2008, 12:09 PM) *
We'll see if it survives the dog and gets "retrieved" I guess. Maybe it'll have mysterious magical properties! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) Hmmm, then I can use it for rolls when my group's PCs are really in the c**p...

If by "mysterious magical properties" you mean, smells bad, and will definitely stick to anything you roll it on, then you'd be correct. Your players will definitely be tormented.

//yeah, I went there

+Quote Post
Blade
post Dec 17 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I have a friend whose cat even attacked dice rolled behind the GM screen. So there you'd be rolling behind the screen, and the cat would slowly creep up on the other side of the screen and then either quickly jump around it and catch the dice or punch the screen to get at them.
The dice would then scatter, so he'd rush to catch them, they'd roll again and he'd keep on doing this until the die finally stopped. The cat would then try to chew it, find it not to his taste and get back in front of the GM screen, hoping to catch a better one.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 17 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE @ Dec 17 2008, 05:09 PM) *
Kind of like they're my Pattern Items or something.

What do you say, "kind of like"?? The doggy will keep the die, weaving a thread into itĀ“s Slobbering Talent (Soak BBB feat included). Should the die ever come out again, it counts as legendary treasure, but until then, you pay. The precious. It must be yours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Dec 17 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

If a dog wants constant attention or if it's skittish around strangers it needs to be crated during a game. The girlfriend and I pulled out of our D&D group because the host got a dog; it was probably abused but it growled and snarled at everyone. Speaking as someone who loves all things four legged and furry I won't tolerate that type of behavior in an animal that can hurt a person.

And eating dice can hurt or kill a dog or cat.

+Quote Post
sinthalix
post Dec 17 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,483

A cat at one of my player's homes decide that our book bags were good kitty litter boxes. Needless to say, we don't play there anymore.

At a different home, one of the dogs likes to lie under the table and fart constantly.

My cat would never attack dice when I used to hold games at my house, but there were certain people she didn't like, so she'd attack them once in a while. Nothing like seeing a 6' tall guy refusing to enter the bathroom because the cat's hissing at him.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Dec 17 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

I'll trade a few attack cats or a slobbering dog for the room full of toddlers & preschoolers we have here...

+Quote Post
sinthalix
post Dec 17 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,483

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Dec 17 2008, 02:36 PM) *
I'll trade a few attack cats or a slobbering dog for the room full of toddlers & preschoolers we have here...

No thank you...animals are far easier to control than those things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 17 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

My cat would never attack dice when I used to hold games at my house, but there were certain people she didn't like, so she'd attack them once in a while. Nothing like seeing a 6' tall guy refusing to enter the bathroom because the cat's hissing at him.

ever tried to get a cat to do soemthing it really did NOT want to do? O.o
i can understand him, and i frigging love cats . . i'm just lucky they love me too and usually comply to my wishes of things they are to do . .
my tomcat hunted big dogs for fun . . i mean REALLY big dogs . . there's nothing in the size category of a housecat that is more dangerous. .

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 17 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

Funny you should start this thread.

I recently bought a samoyed pup not long ago. The cute little girl is barely 5 months old now. My players came around, roll their dice on the floor and we've had no issues (although they do tend to guard them to prevent the scenario you described).

Infact, my players make more of a mess (spilling drinks and the like) more than the pup does.

When I go around to my friend's houses to run a session I bring her along and she's just as well behaved, although we did have a few accidents while we were still toilet training her... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

As for my cat, she's less of a problem. She's usually sleeping or hiding from the dog. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Dec 17 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #14

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

Nerf guns... that's the answer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) yes, I'm mean. Well the cats actually run away and chew the darts, but they usually hide when folks come over anyway. The dogs actually seem to get the hint when I load up the nerf guns, they just leave. Plus I can use them to control my players as well. If it doesn't, airsoft works well to keep those kids/players in line.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Dec 18 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Let the dogs get your scent, prove to them you're not a threat/intruder. Most hosts will put the animal up in their rooms or outside in the backyard (if the weather's nice).
Cats are a different story. Let them be cats. The pets are the host's responsibility.

A while back I got invited to game at a friend's house, and he has a pair of female mixed-breed rotwilers. He held onto the ir collars & I volunteered to allow them to get my scent. Fortunately, I'm one of those rare people that comes off as not-a-threat to most animals (the rest were either too agitated to relax or just not interested) & now, when I go over there, they are happy to see me. It also helps that I rub their bellies & tell them they're good girls. (My GF still insists they smell my cats on me & think 'Oooh, lunch!')

If it takes bribery, find out what treat the pets like & bring it on random occaisions.

+Quote Post
Hammer
post Dec 18 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 16,553

This is why I own snakes. They don't bother anybody and nobody bothers them. We all like it that way.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 18 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #17

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Hammer @ Dec 18 2008, 10:23 AM) *
This is why I own snakes. They don't bother anybody and nobody bothers them. We all like it that way.

Or lizards. Nothing beats saying, "I need to take my pet lizard out."

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Dec 18 2008, 04:37 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

I have a ferret, and one of my players is allergic. So we go elsewhere, and I think that is a big limiting factor where you can host (or who hosts).

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 18 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Is the dog male or female? I ask because I have some suggestions to keep it busy that only work if it is male. Most of those suggestions require you to sew a fleshlight into a plush toy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

But yeah, find something for the doggie to do. Give him a bone to chew, a hole to dig, or a sex doll to hump. Something.

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Dec 18 2008, 05:11 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

Meh, my group plays at a gaming club, so I really don't have to worry about pets.

The worst I have to worry about is one of dogs giving my car another bad flare job.

+Quote Post
Kingboy
post Dec 18 2008, 06:03 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,907

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Dec 17 2008, 12:47 PM) *
If a dog wants constant attention or if it's skittish around strangers it needs to be crated during a game.

Ya know what? I'm not a big fan of dogs, ever. I may not be lining up for the Warren Ellis/Spider Jerusalem Dog Culling political ticket, but I prefer to have a basic understanding with canines: they keep their slobbery muzzles the hell away from me, and I won't be tempted to feed them a gallon container of peanut butter just to get them the hell away from me.

That being said, whoever originally decided on this idea of sticking dogs in tiny little freaking containers just because their presence isn't immediately convenient to us grand domesticators needs to be stuffed into one of the damn things (preferably one meant for one of those retarded little purse dogsā€”don't get me started) with the judicious application of a Kitchen Magician. Using the damn things to ship animals in via plane or train is one thing, creating your own private canine Guantanamo whenever it just happens to be more convenient for you is another.

Sequester the dog, sure. Put it outside (weather/space permitting), put it in a bedroom, put up a toddler gate and leave it in the kitchen/den/garage/whatever. Just don't stick the damn thing in a tiny little box because you bought the wrong damn type of dog for your abilities/living arrangement.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 18 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I agree.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Dec 18 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I like cats, and usually the whole game session if there is a cat in the house goes to having the cat in my lap and on the table. The hard part is getting a hand away from petting it to rolling dice. Usually the cat grabs the hand and insist you keep petting. But I like cats.

Dogs I'm afraid of and they usually sense that.

My major issue with having pets is that if the GM has a hard time taking care of himself, he should not be taking care of a pet as well.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 18 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

One of my player's loves my dog so much that he forgets what he's doing to say hello to her - even if he's the GM of another campaign. I think it slots off some of the other players, but personally, I find it kinda cute watching them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But then again I'm a big softie.

- J.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Dec 18 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (Kingboy @ Dec 18 2008, 01:03 AM) *
creating your own private canine Guantanamo whenever it just happens to be more convenient for you is another

Is it wrong that I laughed at the mental image of a prison full of dogs sporting orange jumpers and skull caps?

I agree that an owner shouldn't stick a dog in a cage because it's convenient. However, a properly crate-trained dog will view his "cage" as a home and a place of safety, not as a pen to bust out of. Give it a dog bed and a Busy-Bone and a crate-trained dog will be a happy camper. An ex-girlfriend had a beagle who loved her crate and the dog would cry if the house cat decided it wanted to take a nap in there. So long as he isn't crated for so long that he gets hungry, thirsty or needs to relive himself, crating a dog isn't a problem.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.