IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blind Adepts, Regarding blind adepts and sense powers.
Grinzwilly
post Jan 2 2004, 04:48 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,946

I'm gonna continue to hit you guys with rules questions, now that I've got an outlet for them.

If you're an adept with the blind flaw, and you take the adept power of, say, thermographic vision, can you use the thermographic vision?

My argument is that since the sense is magical instead of physical, you should be able to use it even if the organ in question doesn't work normally.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snake Oil
post Jan 2 2004, 04:54 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 5,947

No, Thermographic Vision is a modification to vision, and since the character is blind he cannot take advantage of it. He can develop a power similar to the bioware implant called Thermosense Organs, though.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 2 2004, 04:54 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

No. Now, you can take Astral Perception, which allows you to perceive the immediate environs, or even Thermographic Sense (Different from vision) and Blind Fight.

But if you're blind, things based on the physical eyes (such as flare protection, low-light vison, vision magnification, and thermographic vision) will not be accessible to your adept if he takes them.

Now, Ultrasound vision and Sonar are trickier; your GM could rule that you could take those as Enhanced Senses, if he thinks a non-technological explanation could be explained.

+Quote Post
Shev
post Jan 2 2004, 04:56 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

While you may be right about that, I'd still say no.

Being able to completely nullify a -2 point Flaw by spending .25 of a power point isn't really fair in my book.

I recall SRComp reducing the penalty to TNs for an astrally percieving character. I would say that an adept with Sixth Sense and Astral Perception could "see" as well as any sighted person, in his/her own way.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 2 2004, 04:58 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

If a character using the magical sense of astral perception can still see then I think an adept could develop a power that allowe him to see, but it could not be the improved sense power. Improved sense implies that it improves a sense already existant, not create one from scrach. The closest example I can think to base it on is the astral perception power. For 2 power points (perhaps you could ask your GM to get it for less) you could buy-back normal vision and the flaw would only be worth -2.

+Quote Post
Grinzwilly
post Jan 2 2004, 05:03 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 5,946

Hm...I ask because I've already allowed a character in one of my games to take Blind (Magic Active), which is only a 2 point flaw anyways, along with the Ultrasound Vision adept power. I justify it in three ways.

First, ultrasound isn't really linked to the eyes as much as the ears anyhow. Second, it's a magical power - a spell would certainly give a blind person sight temporarily, and I think this justifies the adept power working. Third, when ultrasound vision is all your character can use, it becomes very limiting in surprising ways.

Since he can only see shapes, and not colors or light, he can't read, view computer screens, find shadows to hide in, see through glass or water surfaces, and many other inhibiting drawbacks. It's working ok in my campaign, I was just wondering again what canon was on the issue.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 2 2004, 05:05 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Martial Art Manuver: Blindfighting. Combine it w/ a weapon for even better results. Add in ThermoSense and/or Improved Sense: Smell. You should be able to kick some heads...but I would want to be on your team if you pack heat. :D

[edit]
(Grinzwilly)
Since he can only see shapes, and not colors or light, he can't read, view computer screens, find shadows to hide in, see through glass or water surfaces, and many other inhibiting drawbacks. It's working ok in my campaign, I was just wondering again what canon was on the issue.

I never even thought about being able to hide...thats a good point. It seems like even the standard 4 point penalty for blindness isn't enough. For Stealth tests it should be like 8. Even if you have super senses, how can you tell if someone is looking your way?[/edit]

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Jan 2 2004, 05:09 AM

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 2 2004, 05:09 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Check out Man and Machine for the sound-detection thingy -- general consensus holds it's a valid adept sense power, which could come in handy.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 2 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

I see no problem with ultrasound,, however bear in mind that ultrasound technically only halves vision modifiers. He would thus be on a +4 to all actions (IE: halving the +8 total darkness modifier). The blind fighting technique would help but still not enoough to help him much. he'd be on +2 to his melee attacks (which means you're really not that good a fighter). That's by the rules. You could give him a better version but it'd be best to charge more for it...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 2 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #10

Dragon

Ultrasound is just this side of funky to me -- an adept's magic is designed to augment existing senses, not add new ones.

Granted, that's just my interpretation. Not that I necessarily agree with the canon adept, mind you.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 2 2004, 05:22 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Siege @ Jan 2 2004, 05:09 AM)
Check out Man and Machine for the sound-detection thingy -- general consensus holds it's a valid adept sense power, which could come in handy.

-Siege

Hmm. Good idea. You'd be on a +2 with just ultrasound vision and the spacial recogniser. Enough that the blind-fighting maneuver could reduce penalties to +0 (cost 0.5 power pts). Combine it with a high-frequency hearing power and you're only on a +1 at the cost of 0.75 power points (or theoretically +0 if you know the area).

[edit]The blind fighting power (MitS P149), the ultrasound sense mod, and the spacial recogniser sense mod would reduce all appropriate tn mods to +0 at the cost of 1 power point[/edit]

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 2 2004, 07:43 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Blindfight (adept power) + Blindfight (martial art maneuver) + Spatial Recogniser + High Freq hearing = Look ma no eyes! 8)

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 2 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Hmm. I wonder if it's actually possible to get a bonus using this system?
QUOTE ("P18 @ M&M")
If the user also has high frequency hearing, which is directional, apply an additional -1 modifier.

It dosen't say that it reduces penalties by 1, it's a -1 modifier
:D :proof: :D

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Jan 2 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,871

I kind of like the idea of a blind physad. With all his hearing buffs and mods, mught as well be able to see.....

just dont name him blind fury...........

+Quote Post
Snake Oil
post Jan 2 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 5,947

Of course it's possible to get a bonus, Lilt. Mundanes with eyes get a bonus on their hearing Perception Tests with it, so there's no reason everyone else wouldn't if they could get past all the penalties. It's the entire point of the implant.

But that does still leave you with the problem. Such a character has to make a Perception Test to "see" everything, including things normal characters would have no trouble picking up on. Especially in combat, where every action he performs, especially attacks, would/should require a Perception Test.

Even with a -1 total modifier on his hearing Perception Tests, he's still going to fail the roll from time to time. And that's the entire point of why Blindness is a flaw, and why it's reduced for Awakened characters as well.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Jan 2 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Echolocation isn't at all unreasonable as an adept power. Some blind people are good enough at using echolocation to go MOUNTAIN BIKING!
I do think it would have to cost more than .25 magic, though. Or that you'd buy multiple levels to get better information, with about 4 levels equally normal vision, and 6-8 levels giving you non-visable info about what quality of armor, concealed weapons, and implants the person has as well...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 2 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #17

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Mongoose)
Echolocation isn't at all unreasonable as an adept power. Some blind people are good enough at using echolocation to go MOUNTAIN BIKING!
I do think it would have to cost more than .25 magic, though. Or that you'd buy multiple levels to get better information, with about 4 levels equally normal vision, and 6-8 levels giving you non-visable info about what quality of armor, concealed weapons, and implants the person has as well...

Not that unreasonable if 0.25 Power points can get you vision mag 3.

But I'll stick closely to what the ultrasound vision cyberware can do. For example if the blind adept needs to "see" someone using ultrasound, I'll impose half of the Blind modifier to the perception TN.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 2 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that's a good idea, especially since that's what the rules say you should do.

i'm pondering making a "blind" adept, and just giving him the colorblind flaw; in-character, he'd actually be blind, but rules-wise, his only impairment is that he can't see color. it's much simpler and more direct than trying to twist and crunch the numbers to do pretty much the same thing.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 2 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

For ultrasound I'd allow them to take the power to be able to interpret it, but I think I'd still require them to have an ultrasound emitter... or maybe take the power twice, the second time to allow them to create the ultrasound.

~J

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jan 2 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

If animals can have a given sense, there's no reason why Adepts can't purchase it as well. Bats have echolocation, so Adepts can purchase it as well.

+Quote Post
sable twilight
post Jan 2 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,948

If you don't think that being a phys ad with ultrasound is still not worth a -2 flaw then have a run that takes place during a rock concert.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 2 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (Mongoose)

I think this was directed at my comment earlier -- to whit, I was referring to ultrasound as a little iffy (IMHO) and not spatial recognition, page 18.

-Siege

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 3 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
For ultrasound I'd allow them to take the power to be able to interpret it, but I think I'd still require them to have an ultrasound emitter... or maybe take the power twice, the second time to allow them to create the ultrasound.

~J

I wouldn't do that but I certainly would give anyone with High Freq/Wide Band hearing(guard dogs, Hellhounds, Barghests... :D ) a bonus modifier to detect the adept.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jan 3 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Hee, and make him trip those Ultrasound Hallway monitors.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 3 2004, 02:43 AM
Post #25

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Diesel)
Hee, and make him trip those Ultrasound Hallway monitors.

And his teammates all will have to suffer from "What's that squeeky sound that is just out of hearing?" syndrome (+1 to all TNs).... :vegm:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.