Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mentor spirit bonuses
Tyro
post Dec 20 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

If a mentor spirit gives, say, "+2 dice to spirits of man", does that apply only to summoning or also to binding and/or banishing?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 20 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

It would apply to all three, just as a bonus to a spell category applies to spellcasting, ritual spellcasting, ad counterspelling.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 20 2008, 04:16 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Dec 19 2008, 06:40 PM) *
It would apply to all three, just as a bonus to a spell category applies to spellcasting, ritual spellcasting, ad counterspelling.

Many thanks. I thought so, but I had to be sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 20 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

On a side note, I wish mentor's didn't cost BP. It just seems to excessive. I liked how it worked in the older rules... sigh...

- J.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 20 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

you get to pick 2 bonuses and 1 drawback from a list of what will mechanically optimise your character. and many of the drawbacks just encourage you to act a certain way. mentor spirits are, generally speaking, worth it.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Dec 20 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

The drawback is usually either a)minor compared to the bonuses, or b)more role play then anything else, and the bonuses are quite good. My current character is running moon maiden(+2 illusion, +2 negotiation, -1 combat). The bonuses to illusion and negotiation help make me the front man of the group, and are generally fairly awesome. The -1 combat hurts(especially on counterspelling), but I have overcome it by specializing in combat spells with both spellcasting and counterspelling(turning my -1 penalty into a +1 bonus).

You are getting a powerful bonus, and a useful ally as well, mentor spirits have this habit of popping up sometimes with very useful, if cryptic advice.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 21 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Ouch, I hadn't realized that the penalty to Combat spells applied to Counterspelling them.

+Quote Post
RedeemerofOgar
post Dec 24 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,219

QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 20 2008, 07:37 PM) *
Ouch, I hadn't realized that the penalty to Combat spells applied to Counterspelling them.

Nor had I. Does it apply to Drain as well?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 24 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (RedeemerofOgar @ Dec 24 2008, 01:12 PM) *
Nor had I. Does it apply to Drain as well?

The good thing about positive Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. The bad thing about negative Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. So, yes.

Peter

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Dec 24 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 25 2008, 01:56 AM) *
The good thing about positive Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. The bad thing about negative Mentor bonuses is that they apply to every aspect of the function they affect. So, yes.

Peter

Where does it say that mentor bonuses affect drain.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.