Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bioware, Betaware and above
Tyro
post Dec 21 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

I don't like the fact that they added beta and deltaware bioware. Cultivated bioware was supposed to mean it was cloned from your own cells, and thus was an exact match to your physiology. I don't buy their explanation of better protein-matching, etc.

On a related note, compare deltaware wired reflexes 3 and cultivated (which it is by default) synaptic booster 3. They do the *exact* same thing. Synaptic booster 3 costs 1.50 Essence and 240,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) . Deltaware Wired Reflexes 3 costs 2.5 Essence and ONE MILLION (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , more than four times as much and for 5/3 the Essence.

On a related note, this would make Type O System a worthwhile quality as it would be the only way to get Deltaware bioware (because your system accepts it more easily), and it would make it MUCH easier for Infected with the Regeneration power, since the deltaware-only rule for their implants would be amended for bioware and they could get implants cheaper and at character creation. Surgery shouldn't be too difficult with the ones which have Allergies; just expose them to the allergen while you have them cut open, then remove it so they can heal. Presto, instant recovery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 21 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,697

Here's the thing: The thought that cloning makes perfect replicas is actually a myth. It doesn't. Often, there's tiny discrepencies that crop up, in part due to the difference in how the cells grow. Better protein matching and all of that merely means they've advanced their understanding of it, allowing them to better control the cloned part and get it to where it meshes with the body even better.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 21 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Morrigana @ Dec 20 2008, 04:20 PM) *
Here's the thing: The thought that cloning makes perfect replicas is actually a myth. It doesn't. Often, there's tiny discrepencies that crop up, in part due to the difference in how the cells grow. Better protein matching and all of that merely means they've advanced their understanding of it, allowing them to better control the cloned part and get it to where it meshes with the body even better.

So I can't give my starting nosferatu implants without Type O. Nuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
Just another reason to amend costs for certain key Adept powers.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 21 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Or not! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 21 2008, 03:30 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 20 2008, 05:09 PM) *
On a related note, compare deltaware wired reflexes 3 and cultivated (which it is by default) synaptic booster 3. They do the *exact* same thing. Synaptic booster 3 costs 1.50 Essence and 240,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) . Deltaware Wired Reflexes 3 costs 2.5 Essence and ONE MILLION (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , more than four times as much and for 5/3 the Essence.

Wired reflexes is old crap, way behind SOTA. It's like whining about how sucky your single shot 1889 trapdoor springfield is compared to a 1913 lewis machine gun. Yes, it does suck. Life is hard. Don't choose things just because your dad said they were great back in his day.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 21 2008, 03:36 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I've got a question for everyone: Back in Cybertechnology, Hatchetman was complaining about Wired Reflexes always being on causing a whole multitude of problems (least of which was the "blowing your friends away because they surprised you" deal), has that be translated on over to SR4?

If so then Synaptic Booster 3 might mean that you're ALWAYS in that hyper-sensitive, hyper-reactive state all the time and the guy with the Wired can turn those wires off

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 21 2008, 04:03 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 21 2008, 03:36 AM) *
I've got a question for everyone: Back in Cybertechnology, Hatchetman was complaining about Wired Reflexes always being on causing a whole multitude of problems (least of which was the "blowing your friends away because they surprised you" deal), has that be translated on over to SR4?

If so then Synaptic Booster 3 might mean that you're ALWAYS in that hyper-sensitive, hyper-reactive state all the time and the guy with the Wired can turn those wires off

It's likely to make you incredibly arrogant towards the "Slow", when you find yourself moving at what to you is a normal pace while everyone else seems to drag through water as they move. If your reaction and agility were high, it'd be even worse. Considering how easy it is to get 12 reaction and 14 agility with bioware and genetech alone..

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Dec 21 2008, 04:21 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Actually I have wondered about that. Wired you can turn off, but the bioware makes you permanently in Juicer mode. I've always liked Rift's way of describing the Juicer/multiple IP experience. Kinda wierds me out a little thinking of having a character permanently like that.

(Of course Move-by-Wire is way worse. I'm sure you can't turn it off. Think about turning your seizures on and off.)

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 21 2008, 04:22 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Man, walking behind slow people already drives me nuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 21 2008, 04:28 AM
Post #10

Target

My favorite for slow people are walking stairblocks. Basically, two people who walk, side by side, down the stairs while chatting with each other. Slowly. I've been known to plow straight through the center of them when in a hurry.

Imagine how much worse it would be with wired reflexes.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Dec 21 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

OOO... O-o *eye twitch* I hate the slow side by side walkers. Stairs, sidewalks, oooo. (Grrr) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleepy.gif)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 21 2008, 04:38 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Dec 20 2008, 11:21 PM) *
Actually I have wondered about that. Wired you can turn off, but the bioware makes you permanently in Juicer mode. I've always liked Rift's way of describing the Juicer/multiple IP experience. Kinda wierds me out a little thinking of having a character permanently like that.

(Of course Move-by-Wire is way worse. I'm sure you can't turn it off. Think about turning your seizures on and off.)

A Rating 1 Synaptic Booster wouldn't be bad... Rating 3 would almost be maddening? MBW 2 or higher and I can see your character getting some serious counseling... regularly!

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 21 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I personally prefer MBW. Skillwires + Wired Reflexes for the same Essence cost.... whats not to love??

- J.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 21 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 21 2008, 03:46 AM) *
I personally prefer MBW. Skillwires + Wired Reflexes for the same Essence cost.... whats not to love??

- J.

Don't forget the tasty, tasty Dodge bonus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Dec 21 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 21 2008, 11:46 AM) *

- J.

It'll give you a stroke, brain cancer and destroy your muscles?

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 21 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Dec 21 2008, 03:52 AM) *
It'll give you a stroke, brain cancer and destroy your muscles?

By the time it would have those effects, anyone in a line of work which requires them is likely dead anyway, or so rich they can afford to get them removed AND get gene therapy to reverse the damage they've done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 21 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

6.45 essence is a totally reasonable cost, too.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 22 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Hagga @ Dec 21 2008, 10:38 AM) *
6.45 essence is a totally reasonable cost, too.

Cost for what?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 22 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

for the fastest way into zombie-town.
probably the MBW3 or 4 on normal grade

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 22 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 21 2008, 04:37 PM) *
for the fastest way into zombie-town.
probably the MBW3 or 4 on normal grade

to my knowledge MBW only goes up to 3, and costs 5 Essence on normal grade *confused*

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 22 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

He's talking about the SR3 version, which was very powerful, but also had a super-high Essense cost and extreme drawbacks.

The SR4 version is very different, and the negative effects are less severe.

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 22 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #22

Target

IIRC, MBW 4 in SRW was 7 essence to get installed. Pretty much, instant cyber zombie. You could get it down to somewhat close to comparitively reasonable by going deltaware with it.

It's actually one of the ones from SR3 where deltaware was the best option.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 22 2008, 03:41 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

QUOTE (Glyph @ Dec 22 2008, 03:50 AM) *
He's talking about the SR3 version, which was very powerful, but also had a super-high Essense cost and extreme drawbacks.

The SR4 version is very different, and the negative effects are less severe.

Reduced essence cost, throw in skillwires, loose all the drawbacks. Honestly, whats not to love? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The old SR3 version pretty much required you either get deltaware or go cyberzombie if you really wanted it. But even then it was dicey.

MBW is insane now. The only reason not to take MBW over Wired Reflexes or Synaptic Accelerator is if you already have Skillwires, don't have the cash or want to save the essence for other implants.

- J.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 22 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Or if your gm decides that "constant state of seizure" has adverse health effects.

I mean, really. Some people.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Dec 22 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Does the "+N to Dodge" bonus from MBW count as base (which the wording seems to support, in which case it would increase the number of ranks of Improved Ability you could take, which I'm pretty sure they did NOT intend) or dicepool bonus?

Would you prevent someone from stacking it with Improved Ability and a reflex recorder for a total of +7 if you counted it as a dicepool bonus? Remember that you can do the same thing with a synaptic accelerator, a synthacardium, a reflex recorder and Improved Ability (which is half as expensive for Gymnastics), though your melee defense will suffer a bit (or a lot if you don't have a melee skill).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.