> Drake Variant/s, My PC wants to be a 'celtic wyrm'
The Jake
post Dec 25 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

Hi all

One of my player's wants to play a drake.

He's working on an elven magician adept but wants the latent metamorphsis ability. The problem is he doesn't want to be a Western Dragon drake but his background is from Tir na nog. He keeps talking about playing some sort of wingless drake metavariant based off the celtic wyrm. However most of my research into Celtic mythos suggests all celtic dragons have wings, hence the inspiration behind the western dragon (and the name!). His proposal was to use the eastern dragon stats or to make a hybrid.

If this was D&D I'd probably do this in a heartbeat. With SR I'm loath to deviate from canon and create something special just for him. I'm curious if other GMs handle this? Do you capitulate to a player's desire in order to make them happy and give them what they want or do you enforce the archtypes and variants provided and force them to play within that framework?

- J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Dec 25 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

In this case, I would say no.

If it was a new spell, weapon, or similar - sure (as long as the character has the necessary skills to research/construct it). This extends to basically anything that can be "built", such as the Tremere quality I designed (& still have not finalized); basically a special, ritualized "infection/inhabitation".

Anything that requires adding to the game's history however (such as this), is a flat no without a very good reason.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Dec 25 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

Just use eastern dragon stats and apply whatever fluff you want to it. Eastern dragons are very snake-like anyway, much like the description of a wyrm.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Dec 25 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I'd make him work within the framework. Partly because I'm lazy and partly I have no idea where he's getting this idea of Celtic wyrms from. I mean, yes, there's Celtic language speaking areas in which dragons are part of their legends, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head right now is Wales, and they happen to have a big honkin' winged red dragon as their bloody flag. I'm pretty sure the word wyrm is actually fraggin' Germanic or Saxon, not Celtic.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 25 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Dec 25 2008, 12:40 AM) *
Just use eastern dragon stats and apply whatever fluff you want to it. Eastern dragons are very snake-like anyway, much like the description of a wyrm.

This is what we were initially discussing. At a high level it works and doesn't require any additional in game changes. I just don't like revisionist history or PCs being "one of a kind" if you know what I mean.

Having said all that, all my research in Celtic mythos and dragons seemed to suggest that virtually all dragons in that entire side of the world had wings with exception to the wingless wyrm variety - which could be argued aren't truly a dragon.

I am no Celtic expert however.

- J.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 25 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

There's always the Leviathan.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 25 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 25 2008, 08:31 AM) *
Hi all

He's working on an elven magician adept but wants the latent metamorphsis ability. The problem is he doesn't want to be a Western Dragon drake but his background is from Tir na nog. He keeps talking about playing some sort of wingless drake metavariant based off the celtic wyrm. However most of my research into Celtic mythos suggests all celtic dragons have wings, hence the inspiration behind the western dragon (and the name!). His proposal was to use the eastern dragon stats or to make a hybrid.

If this was D&D I'd probably do this in a heartbeat. With SR I'm loath to deviate from canon and create something special just for him. I'm curious if other GMs handle this? Do you capitulate to a player's desire in order to make them happy and give them what they want or do you enforce the archtypes and variants provided and force them to play within that framework?

- J.

So he wants a wingless drake? Use the Sea Drakes.

There's always the Leviathan.
Ninja'ed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Merry Christmas, people.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 25 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i was thinking the very same thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

oh, and:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_dragon

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 25 2008, 03:23 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I'm Ancient History, and as the writer of the new drake rules I approve of this thread.

Also...and I do this just to screw with you...this comes perilously close to an SoLA reference.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 25 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

ah, that famous lost file. have fastjack been able to restore it from the corrupted databanks of shadowland seattle yet?

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 25 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 25 2008, 03:23 AM) *
I'm Ancient History, and as the writer of the new drake rules I approve of this thread.

Also...and I do this just to screw with you...this comes perilously close to an SoLA reference.

So what are you saying? Sea Drakes/leviathans are in?

- J.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 25 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Yup. It's all good.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Dec 25 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

Actually, the Welsh dragon Rhonabwy was described as wyrmlike and wingless in SR2's Prime Runners, in spite of the fact that he has an otherwise startling resemblance to the dragon in the Welsh flag.
Not sure wether this was changed in later editions.

The old Tir na nOg sourcebook also mentions that there are no known dracoforms in Ireland, which some people contribute to the legend of St. Patrick driving all the snakes out of the emerald isle.

Not that i would mind if one player in my game would decide to play an Irish drake with the stats of an eastern dragon or a leviathan.
However, i'd first suggest using a Welsh drake for that and as far as the wings are concerned...they are not really needed for the flying capabilities of a dragon, nor do they offer any other kind of mechanical advantage.
I wouldn't mind leaving them out for style reasons, no matter how much or little they had to do with canon or actual Celtic mythology.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Dec 25 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Wouldn't that make him a Wyvern?

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 26 2008, 01:14 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Wyverns have wings.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 26 2008, 01:14 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Wyverns have wings.

+Quote Post
attack
post Dec 26 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 16,703

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Dec 25 2008, 11:28 PM) *
Wouldn't that make him a Wyvern?

The player wants to be a Drake with no wings, not a Drake with no arms.

edit: Didn't refresh thread, someone beat me to it.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 26 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Dec 25 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Actually, the Welsh dragon Rhonabwy was described as wyrmlike and wingless in SR2's Prime Runners, in spite of the fact that he has an otherwise startling resemblance to the dragon in the Welsh flag.
Not sure wether this was changed in later editions.

The old Tir na nOg sourcebook also mentions that there are no known dracoforms in Ireland, which some people contribute to the legend of St. Patrick driving all the snakes out of the emerald isle.

Not that i would mind if one player in my game would decide to play an Irish drake with the stats of an eastern dragon or a leviathan.
However, i'd first suggest using a Welsh drake for that and as far as the wings are concerned...they are not really needed for the flying capabilities of a dragon, nor do they offer any other kind of mechanical advantage.
I wouldn't mind leaving them out for style reasons, no matter how much or little they had to do with canon or actual Celtic mythology.

I'm sorta in this boat. I mean, by the look of things the guy isn't trying to make some uberpowered crazy-combo 6-winged, 8 legged monster drake form, he wants to be a...dragon with no wings for flavor and character purposes.I dunno, I mean, I have trouble imagining that every drake in the world(not many, i'm sure, but still) comes out looking EXACTLY the same. I don't see why one of the drakes might have gotten some sort of mystical sort of...something to develop slightly differently in appearance.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 26 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

You gotta know when just to say 'no'.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 26 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #20

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

You gotta know when just to say 'no'.

Wasn't saint Patrick, but yeah, someone makes sure dragons don't set up shop in the Tir.

Also, the Sea Dragon lives off the welsh coast, does she not? So there's even a somewhat plausible connection to canon celtic dragons for the leviathan drake.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Dec 26 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 25 2008, 03:23 AM) *

BURN HIM.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 26 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

noo!
Our Preciouss! wee needs it!
our poor dear old aunty ancient ^^

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 27 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #23

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

There's also a Norse variant of dragons called Linnorms/Lindworms that are wingless. They were a popular myth in ancient Germanic tribes as well, such as those that spread out into Ireland in the 6th to 3rd centuries BCE. The exact translation can be used for anything from dracoforms to common snakes, but it gets the point across.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 27 2008, 07:23 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Why does a mage want to take the Latent Dracomorphosis quality? Does he not feel the hate of the Karma already? If it isn't enough that he needs it for skills and stats, he also has a new stat to dump it in, Initiation, Metamagics, spells, binding foci, long-term binding, some metamagics require/suggest karma expenditures, Enchanting needs it, and now he wants to burn 120 when he draco-forms?

Sit him down with some loved ones and call an intervention. He needs some serious help.

EDIT: Edited for topic help: Like many others in this thread, I suggest using the Eastern Dragon stats and changing the thematics for a more celtic-y appearance. Or just use a leviathan.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Dec 28 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

All are valid points.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.