Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inconspicuous pixies?, Pixie faces with etiquette
Zormal
post Dec 27 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,928

Pixies have a hard time looking like anything besides pixies. They're rare and quite rememberable. How do you picture a Pixie face using etiquette to spoof her way into a corporate building? "I work here. You just don't remember me" or "Sure I'm the new cleaning lady" ? Is it plausible?

Slipping in under the radar with concealment would maybe be a lot easier, but can a pixie blend in without the use of spells/powers?

Just curious.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 27 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

well . . SOMEONE has to keep those ventilation ducts clean for when the runners come through . . who better than someone tiny who does not put any weight on them? ^^

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 28 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 28 2008, 06:41 AM) *
well . . SOMEONE has to keep those ventilation ducts clean for when the runners come through . . who better than someone tiny who does not put any weight on them? ^^

A pixie is 0.45m tall and not exactly weightless unless she is flying. And a flying pixie is not exactly small either, not with a wingspan of 1m.

+Quote Post
MaxMahem
post Dec 28 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,097

QUOTE (Zormal @ Dec 27 2008, 06:32 PM) *
Pixies have a hard time looking like anything besides pixies. They're rare and quite rememberable. How do you picture a Pixie face using etiquette to spoof her way into a corporate building? "I work here. You just don't remember me" or "Sure I'm the new cleaning lady" ? Is it plausible?

Slipping in under the radar with concealment would maybe be a lot easier, but can a pixie blend in without the use of spells/powers?

Just curious.

They don't. Its an unlisted penalty of being a member of such a unique and memerable race. The same with being a sasquatch, or a 4 armed troll, or any other wildy unusual critter.

You can't have your cake and eat it to you know. You want to play a unique and memorable race? Well sure you can. But then you are unique and memorable! It may play to your advantage in some situations, but it will be a serious disadvantage in others. Themes the breaks.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 28 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Dec 28 2008, 02:20 PM) *
They don't. Its an unlisted penalty of being a member of such a unique and memerable race. The same with being a sasquatch, or a 4 armed troll, or any other wildy unusual critter.

You can't have your cake and eat it to you know. You want to play a unique and memorable race? Well sure you can. But then you are unique and memorable! It may play to your advantage in some situations, but it will be a serious disadvantage in others. Themes the breaks.

It is not an unlisted penalty. There is already "Distinctive Style".

I don't see why a sapient critter can't social infiltrate into a place, there is just quite a few applicable penalties to the roll per Social Modifiers Table.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Dec 28 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

Pixies can get in without magic..they just need their partners to do somethings a little differently. Such as, say, you get an Ork in the team to pose as a janitor, and the Pixie curls up in the garbage can the Janitor is puching on the cart. Or, you have someone as a maid/food delivery person, and the Pixie stashes under the cart..

+Quote Post
Zormal
post Dec 28 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Pretty much what I've been thinking, as well. If you want a high-charisma face, you're still better off with an elf.

I loved streetangelj's idea (on another thread) of a pixie "who spends most of her time passing herself off as a cyborg's emotitoy". With some creative thinking, you might also be able to pose as 'the entertainment' or something equally flashy. But it doesn't strike me as something that would be easy to pull off, *or* something that would necessarily benefit from a high etiquette. Still... a flawed pixie face with no etiquette skills might be fun to play. She'd prolly have garbage cans and air ducts as knowledge skills :D

QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 28 2008, 08:45 AM) *
I don't see why a sapient critter can't social infiltrate into a place, there is just quite a few applicable penalties to the roll per Social Modifiers Table.
What modifiers would you use for social infiltration? Looking at the table, I see "Character wearing the wrong attire or doesn't have the right look" (-2) and the NPC being "Suspicious" of the character (-1). Three dice sound about right to you? Seems a bit small.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 28 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Zormal @ Dec 28 2008, 04:40 PM) *
What modifiers would you use for social infiltration? Looking at the table, I see "Character wearing the wrong attire or doesn't have the right look" (-2) and the NPC being "Suspicious" of the character (-1). Three dice sound about right to you? Seems a bit small.

Why not? It is not about the pixie not being able to get in, it is about the pixie being remembered and Distinctive Style already handles that. To me, there is no real difference to a guard between a 2m tall minotaur and a 0.45m tall pixie trying to smooze into a place, the pixie can handle it better because she has better Cha.

+Quote Post
Zormal
post Dec 28 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Is it RAW that pixies have the Distinctive Style flaw, or is this a houserule? Makes sense, but I don't remember reading this.

Then again, I would definitely rule that security remembers the magical flying thing that just happened to swing by a few minutes before the alarm sounded.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 28 2008, 10:14 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Zormal @ Dec 28 2008, 05:57 PM) *
Is it RAW that pixies have the Distinctive Style flaw, or is this a houserule? Makes sense, but I don't remember reading this.

Then again, I would definitely rule that security remembers the magical flying thing that just happened to swing by a few minutes before the alarm sounded.

It is noted under Distinctive Style p103 RC as part of "all advanced character options in this book". However it should be stressed that "advanced character options" are not clearly defined, so what constitutes an "advanced character option" is really for the GM to decide.

+Quote Post
wanderer_king
post Dec 28 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 15,886

Umm... they are not currently recognized as having rights... there is a proposal before to give pixies/centaurs/non-metahuman freaks the status of sapience/rights, which would give them the same rights as SINless... but until them the worst thing a guard could be charged with for killing one is either poaching (a fine that may or may not be minor depending on the corps view of non-Metas) or destruction of corp property if it was owned by a corp.

So yeah' play that pixie face, but keep in mind by RAW you have less rights than a SINless person.... Don't glitch ANY social test and always know where the exit is....

Hmm... on a side note I think my newest character is gonna have to start a new Policlub.... the MetaHumani Policlub, whose agendas are 2 fold... 1st, promoting Metahuman rights (he is an Ork Face.) And Second, making sure METAHUMANITY wins the race war..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Zormal
post Dec 28 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Pixies can get SINs from France or NeoNET (RC p.65), though I don't know whether these SINs are globally recognized or not.

I guess NeoNET would raise hell if one of their employees was killed on another corporation's turf, so I see no reason why Pixies couldn't have SINs - or fake SINs for that matter.

[EDIT] Of course, individual mileage might vary

+Quote Post
wanderer_king
post Dec 28 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 15,886

Of course to be helpful to the pixie to have a SIN 5 things have to happen:

1. The Pixie has to broadcast SIN in time for the guard to hold fire.
2. The local inforcement agency has to notify the agency issuing the SIN.
3. The location has to be right (such as not on extraterratorial property.)
4. The SIN issuer must be willing to make a fuss over any incidents.
5. The guard has to know steps 2-4 and see the SIN.

If any are missing, well you know the punchline....

P.S. looking at the RC page you mentioned I now see the International Status section, which I had previously missed... very handy as I have 2 shapeshifters in my current group and hadn't seen that before.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Dec 28 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

I don't feel that just because they have no rights that they will be fired upon. I mean, pigeons don't have rights, and they are all around our building. Never seen a guard shoot a single one, and they don't even MAKE social tests.

+Quote Post
Morrigana
post Dec 29 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 16,697

The pixie could just claim to a corp exec's exotic pet that came looking for her master.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.