Reply to this topicStart new topic
> enhanced senses, what's the rating?
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 27 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,332

Runner's Companion lists quite a few metavariants and infected character types that have the Increased Senses ability. I'm not sure what this means in game terms. The description in the critter powers section (SR4 p.288) says ... covers any improved or augmented senses beyond the normal human range of awareness. For example, a dog shapeshifter would gain the ability to hear ultrasound.

But what about the dog's sense of smell? This ought to grant him a bonus on a test such as perception, memory or tracking. Olfactory-based cyber and bioware give a bonus equal to their ratings. What should the bonus be for this ability?

My first guess was that the bonus should be equal to the Magic attribute, but it's not really a critter power. Aside from that, the book says If an Infected character’s Magic attribute is reduced to 0 (temporarily or permanently), it loses the use of all its powers except Natural Weapon and Enhanced Senses, if any. So if increased senses was tied to Magic, the creature would lose its ability if it lost its magic, which contradicts that sentence.

What's your suggestion? Do we get a bonus? If so, how much?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Dec 27 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

We talked about that in our group and came to the conclusion that this power doesn't really add any dice or stuff but simply that the hits the character rolls are more potent than the hits generated without ES.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 28 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

In prior editions, if an adept power duplicated a piece of sense-enhancing cyberware, the adept power defaulted to the maximum. So there's precedence for that.

Though I personally like the magic rating = level.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 31 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

I like the thought behind a magical sense being at least as good as any that technology can provide. I'll run that by my GM. If he thinks that's too much, we'll probably go with the Magic thing. I'm sure that most of the time, though, he'll just play it loose, and give me extra information.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.