IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ECN Character - Jon Snow (Mundane Hitman), Winter is coming.
Digital Heroin
post Dec 28 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,302

The first of the regular character for a new - to be posted momentarily - solo project called Emerald City Nights, Snow is a thoroughly unaugmented mundane contract killer.

The Sheet:

[ Spoiler ]

Gear List:

[ Spoiler ]

The Background:

[ Spoiler ]

Question, comments, concerns and death threats are welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Dec 30 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Anyone see any obvious fowl ups with this? Or should I take 50+ views with no comments as a good sign?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 30 2008, 05:57 AM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Nah it's pretty cool. I read the first story, it was cool.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Dec 30 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

I like the story but it feels a bit on the Dark Knight side.

I don't see any major holes though.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Dec 30 2008, 06:42 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Alex @ Dec 30 2008, 06:26 AM) *
I like the story but it feels a bit on the Dark Knight side.

I don't see any major holes though.

Is there something that stuck out as Dark Knight to you? I'm not really seeing the correlation, myself, but (assuming you're talking the movie) I'd see that as praise, since I likely was influenced by it, as I was watching it at the time.

On a related note, I really should have included a link to the ECN - Open Discussion thread, sort of an OOC free for all. I'm going to be taking input there and incorporating it into the arc, possibly even soliciting ideas for targets for Snow, etc... of course that'll influence everyone, since he's the core of the arc.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 30 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

He has a cool background.

A mundane character can't take the Astral Chameleon quality (maybe you were thinking of Murky Link? But that's a ten-point quality).

What kind of power level is this game going to be? I know this is the kind of character who relies on tactics, but he doesn't have the dice pools to handle serious opposition when the player runs out of inspiration at a critical moment. I guess it depends on how thorough his planning is, and who his targets are. If he spends several months casing out an exec to find the right moment to put a sniper round through his head, then he might not need the high dice pools as much.

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Dec 30 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

Have you been reading "Game of Thrones" lately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 30 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Glyph @ Dec 30 2008, 03:58 AM) *
What kind of power level is this game going to be? I know this is the kind of character who relies on tactics, but he doesn't have the dice pools to handle serious opposition when the player runs out of inspiration at a critical moment.

I'm not sure "walk up to the Hell's Angel Chapter Leader and shoot him with an uzi, then walk away" really counts as "tactics." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

For a guy that's supposed to be a cool, methodical, professional, who flawlessly juggles multiple lifestyles and SINs and can meticulously plan and cover-up his fake demise...that's...pretty weak. It was a glaring hole in the background story, all the rest of which I quite enjoyed.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Dec 30 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Dec 29 2008, 11:42 PM) *
Is there something that stuck out as Dark Knight to you? I'm not really seeing the correlation, myself, but (assuming you're talking the movie) I'd see that as praise, since I likely was influenced by it, as I was watching it at the time.

I meant the character - that is to say Batman (The Dark Knight) - not the movie of the same name. I didn't mean it as disrespectful, just noted the apparent inspiration.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Dec 31 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Glyph @ Dec 30 2008, 09:58 AM) *
He has a cool background.

A mundane character can't take the Astral Chameleon quality (maybe you were thinking of Murky Link? But that's a ten-point quality).

What kind of power level is this game going to be? I know this is the kind of character who relies on tactics, but he doesn't have the dice pools to handle serious opposition when the player runs out of inspiration at a critical moment. I guess it depends on how thorough his planning is, and who his targets are. If he spends several months casing out an exec to find the right moment to put a sniper round through his head, then he might not need the high dice pools as much.

Thanks for pointing that out. I totally spaced on the AC requirements while focusing on the fact he's hard to get a handle on by witnesses and nothing seems to stick to him even if he's tagged. I considered replacing Astral Chameleon with Bilingual, to reflect an upbringing in a dual-language society, but with Quebec being it's own little walled fortress, he might not have needed French until later. Instead, I'm replacing it with Guts, to reflect his unflappability.

As for power level, that'll vary with each different mission, but Jon is selective about his targets (as reflected by his requirement to be given a window to do legwork before accepting anything) and he won't go after someone he feels required more than one person to take on. That said, he will be outclassed power-wise at times, but he takes time to plan, and doesn't usually accept short deadline contracts. He'll work back channels and contacts to make sure he has an advantage when he needs.

Plus, high edge can really be an ass saver, and he's not above cutting loose on a hit gone sour.

QUOTE (Kliko)
Have you been reading "Game of Thrones" lately

Not in a long while, but a Song of Ice and Fire is one of my favorite series.

QUOTE (Critias)
I'm not sure "walk up to the Hell's Angel Chapter Leader and shoot him with an uzi, then walk away" really counts as "tactics." grinbig.gif

For a guy that's supposed to be a cool, methodical, professional, who flawlessly juggles multiple lifestyles and SINs and can meticulously plan and cover-up his fake demise...that's...pretty weak. It was a glaring hole in the background story, all the rest of which I quite enjoyed.

For all his cool, and meticulousness as a lawyer, for all his prior training, that was his first kill. The first time someone takes a life is never a neat affair, especially when it's a crime of passion. That was the raw self, unrefined. All the planning that went on before was overwhelmed by pure hatred and a desire to send a message.

QUOTE (Alex)
I meant the character - that is to say Batman (The Dark Knight) - not the movie of the same name. I didn't mean it as disrespectful, just noted the apparent inspiration.

No disrespect seen at all. I draw on many influences when I write. For Snow there are elements of Batman, the movie Collateral, A Song of Ice and Fire peripherally, the Hitman games, and a lot of other sources I'm never fully conscious of. Without being such a media junkie, I'd have some awful boring writing.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 31 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I can understand losing it and doing something stupid...but...I guess my beef wasn't so much with him breaking character (in a way, and with good reason), but with him then just waltzing out of there without anyone noticing. One Percenters get rowdy when they party, sure, but if nothing else there's always a few Prospects told to stay sober and watch the bikes. I just can't imagine anyone strolling into a bar the Angels have taken over for the night (especially in strange leathers), walking right up to their chief, and emptying an Uzi into him...then leaving completely unmolested.

It seems to me like some rigged explosives or something (detonated from near enough to see the fireworks) would've still been a plenty brutal way to kill 'em, sent a powerful message, but not quite strained reason quite so much.

*shrugs* But whatever. The rest of the backstory's cool, the stats all seem appropriate and realistic, and it's a fine character. It's because the rest of it is of solid quality that that one glaring scene/action really sticks out at me.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Jan 1 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

Well, obviously you haven't read Page 406 of the BBB where it clearly states" blah,blah...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I like the build and the back story. I also like the mundy angle. if you ask me there are not enough mundanes in the game. Come to think of it, you don't see a lot of penguins either. or Sousaphone players. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

*note to self: never write posts at 1 am on new years day* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

nice work.

+Quote Post
Wintersmith
post Jan 1 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 12,478

I quite like the character concept, good work.

Well, obviously you haven\\\'t read Page 406 of the BBB where it clearly states\\\" blah,blah...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I like the build and the back story. I also like the mundy angle. if you ask me there are not enough mundanes in the game. Come to think of it, you don\\\'t see a lot of penguins either. or Sousaphone players.

*note to self: never write posts at 1 am on new years day* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

nice work.

Hey! Don't ruin the surprise for me! I still have an hour and 7 minutes to go to see if the world ends! Though I've already have more than a few shots and half of my party guests are passed out from champagne and hard liquor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.