Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Expanding Shapeshifters, ...Not just Metahumans Anymore
The Jopp
post Dec 29 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 948

I was thinking of expanding the rules for shapeshifters, allowing them to shift into more exotic species.

I see them halfway like the old legends of warewolves but also as a means of camouflage and an ability to hide among people, and it would be somewhat reasonable that they can hide within other societies other than metahuman.

So, adding a few optional forms for shapeshifters:

Eagle Shapeshifter – Pixie
Seal Shapeshifter – Naga
Other: Sasquatch, Centaur

Dogs & Cats
To represent regular housecats and dogs just take

Housecat/Small Dog: BOD-2 / Str -2 : Bonus BP +20
Wildcat / Middle Size Dog: Bod -1 / Str -1: Bonus BP +10
Large Cat / Dog: As per Runner Companion
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 29 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

You're making up rules for a wolf who changes into a centaur?

The problem with that is that centuars were not common when werewolves were documented as being around, ergo it's unlikely a giant wolf that transforms into a centaur is unlikely to be born, muchless survive. I could understand a creature which changes from one common animal to another (wolf to human, dog to cat, cat to cucumber, etc.) but changing from a common animal to a basically non-existant one seems to be stretching the bounds of credibility.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Dec 29 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

warewolves: Are those guys not the ones who sell you cracked software and stuff? SCNR

I just dunno. Shapeshifters already have the ability to hide among one of the biggest societies on earth.
Why bother with something else?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Dec 29 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #4

Runner

QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 29 2008, 02:08 PM) *
You're making up rules for a wolf who changes into a centaur?

The problem with that is that centuars were not common when werewolves were documented as being around, ergo it's unlikely a giant wolf that transforms into a centaur is unlikely to be born, muchless survive.

Just because they werent documented by metahumanity does not mean that they were not hidden among smaller societies already.

There is no documented proof that shapeshifters are “born� into a specific opposite metatype – it might be a mimicking ability that takes shape around sapients they feel comfortable around.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Dec 29 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #5

Runner

QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Dec 29 2008, 02:19 PM) *
warewolves: Are those guys not the ones who sell you cracked software and stuff? SCNR

I just dunno. Shapeshifters already have the ability to hide among one of the biggest societies on earth.
Why bother with something else?

DOH! No, Warewolves are Shapeshifters who only shapeshift into cyberzombies and cost +200BP ^_^

Well, it’s all about location. Just because there are people around does not mean that the shapeshifter choose that form. A seal shifter might as well live within a community of nagas or merrows depending on what that community have to give him.

Then you have shifters that might actually live within a nation of sapient critters. Would a shifter born around sasquatches choose to be a metahuman? Why? All around him he sees sasquatches.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Dec 29 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

You imply choice.
But is there any?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Dec 29 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Dec 29 2008, 02:54 PM) *
You imply choice.
But is there any?

That is just it – I dont.

Depending on where a shapeshifter is BORN and LIVES might very well affect his shapeshifting ability. There is no documented proof that they are bound to the metahuman form.

As I said, a shapeshifter within a sasquatch community or within close boundaries with one might very well get that form.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Dec 29 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

I don't think this feels thematically appropriate, really - there's specific Patterns to the Shapeshifter myths, which come directly from metahuman culture. (Meta)humanity are the dominant sentient species on the planet, and our cultural assumptions pervade the manasphere.

Put another way, humans were the only Namegivers for quite awhile; we have a certain amount of "morphogenic inertia". Metahumans can ride on that inertia by virtue of being effectively human, from a spiritual sense. Naga... not so much.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Dec 29 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Or put another way: the humans took the myths from bygone ages. They didn't shape it but just our legends evolved from there.

And since there aren't any known shapeshifters which took the forms of naga (except for the ones with Magic) i don't see a point there.
I won't say, that it's a rules point, but just a background point.

But you can houserule it, and then i would use the optional rules. You'd pay the extra BP for your race and be finished with that.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 30 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Dec 29 2008, 08:38 AM) *
Just because they werent documented by metahumanity does not mean that they were not hidden among smaller societies already.

That is true, however "sasquatch society" or "centaur society" are so miniscule and unusual the thought of an animal adapting itself specifically to fit in with them seems difficult to swallow. Like I said, a wolf tha transforms into another common animal makes sense, and I could certainly buy that we just haven't documented them. But a wolf that transforms into a centaur is unlikely to last for very long (if only because "centaur society" is so small that basically everyone recognizes everyone else, and they're likely to be a bit suspicious of the new fellow with red eyes who disappears for four nights a month and regularly eats other people).

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 30 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

Personally, I wouldn't do it because I think it deviates too far from Earth's existing mythology. But if one of my players wanted to do it, I'd let him (if we could agree on the build points). It's not stupid, it's just a stretch. But then, where are immortal elves and dragons found in our myths? If it sounds like fun, do it.

The only thing that crosses the line for me is shifting from mammal to reptile. Aren't nagas reptilian?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 30 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #12

Dragons have been in our myths basically since we've had myths (I believe the first *written* example is Tiamat from the ancient Babylonian stories, which basically is about as early as we have written anything).

Elves are classic European myth motifs. I'm not sure how far they go back. It's generally accepted they have greatly prolonged lifespans, perhaps up to and including... infinity.

It's just Shadowrun takes this stuff and puts a fun spin on it, turning Tiamat's descendants into a megalomaniac corporate CEO, for instance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.