IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Living Focus, Can the mage still end the spell?
Iota
post Dec 31 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,020

Ok,

my question is: can the mage still end the spell cast on an adept with the living focus power?

On the one hand, it`s still the mage`s spell and normlly he controls his spells and might end them whenever he likes, on the other hand the adept sustains the spell and as the description says:

"allows the adept to physiologically adjust his body to channel mana in order to sustain a spell cast solely on him (in effect becoming a metahuman sustaining focus)."

Any ideas?
Because if the mage still could end the spell there would be some nice options for a mage to gain power over someone. On the other hand were would be the use of the living focus power (hich costs 1 point!) if the adept can not ecide himself when to end the spell/still depends on the mage.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Dec 31 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

The power, I think, is best used with a Mystic Adept.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 31 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Iota @ Dec 31 2008, 06:32 AM) *
my question is: can the mage still end the spell cast on an adept with the living focus power?

I think that if you looked at the next sentence then you would have gotten your answer:

The magician who cast the spell need not sustain it

That to me says that the Adept takes over the spell and the adept decided when to release it. Now if the Magician wants to sustain it then he can, but if the Adept wants to kepp it going then there is nothing to stop him.

+Quote Post
Jackstand
post Dec 31 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,298

I'm inclined to say that both can end the spell.

A mage does not sustain, himself, any spell cast with a sustaining focus, including an adept with living focus. It doesn't say in the BBB whether or not the mage can end the spell on a regular focus, either, but it stands to reason that he is able to do so. The only reason that I might potentially think otherwise is because the adept cum focus is not bonded to the magician.

On the other hand, the text of the adept power says that "Living Focus allows the adept to physiologically adjust his body to channel mana...." While it doesn't say that he can physiologically adjust his body, once so adjusted, not to do so, it seems to imply that the power is not always active, and so, to end the spell, the adept could just shut off the power, and the spell would end as though the sustaining focus were deactivated.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Dec 31 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

Just my personal opinion I would say that once the adept has got it. That is it the mage no longer has control, the adept decides when to release the spell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.