IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Vehicle Idea, Looking for additional input.
Nomad
post Jan 4 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #1

The Wandering One

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 135

I've got a vehicle concept I'd like to run by everyone and would appreciate any ideas you have on the subject. I was perusing my old Rigger Black Books and came across the VW Super-Kombi, which were five related vehicles with different end uses. With the direction Arsenal took SR vehicles, I was wondering what people would think about an interchangeable box system for a van/truck type. Think of it as a basic flatbed, which can mount different box modules depending on what the team wishes to do. Right now, I've just got an open box/delivery van and an RV (probably housing four instead of the six in the dedicated one) for my concept, but I'd love to hear what others might think.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 4 2009, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,707

Right now I'm working on some advanced vehicle rules (conversion rules and fill-in-the-blank), along with going about converting all the vehicles I can find from SR3 to SR4, and finally adding several dozen (maybe 100 or more) updates of modern vehicles.

As for the interchangeable box system for a van/truck type, the US Army today is using the M1113. It is a heavy duty military hummer that can fit 'huts' (box models) on the back, with boxes being able to swap out fairly fast (hour or two, including all the wiring) if you have a crane or winch strong enough to lift the box. Considering that some of the boxes are pushing 4 tons, it is not something you can do without a heavy lifter.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the idea exist today and is perfectly acceptable.

+Quote Post
vollmond
post Jan 4 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,377

So, something like this?

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 4 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

QUOTE (vollmond @ Jan 3 2009, 09:45 PM) *
So, something like this?

Actually, no. Something more like a pickup truck in which the bed had quick-change interconnects and you had several other parts such as passenger seating, etc.

Also, despite how they talked about it, drive by wire isn't that impressive. Hell, my Cobalt has drive by wire steering and throttle.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 4 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

the idea is feasible. i'd give it a go.
omni-tech is better tech, after all *g*

+Quote Post
Nomad
post Jan 4 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #6

The Wandering One

So far, I've come up with the following modules and modifications.

Universal
Concealed Armor
Multi-Fuel Engine
Gridlink

Cargo Box
Squatter Amenities
+4 Slots (Box Only)

RV
Middle Amenities
Living Space for 4

Passenger Van (Comes with the vehicle at first purchase)
Seating for 8

Any modification which would effect the entire vehicle would also take away from the available slots for a particular module, however, if its something which is contained solely within the module, it only takes up a slot while that module is installed. (I'm working on the rules for how to apply total vehicle modification across multiple modules). I wanted the universal modifications to reflect a vehicle which could be used anywhere - countryside or urban.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jan 4 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

QUOTE (Nomad @ Jan 4 2009, 03:31 AM) *
I've got a vehicle concept I'd like to run by everyone and would appreciate any ideas you have on the subject. I was perusing my old Rigger Black Books and came across the VW Super-Kombi, which were five related vehicles with different end uses. With the direction Arsenal took SR vehicles, I was wondering what people would think about an interchangeable box system for a van/truck type. Think of it as a basic flatbed, which can mount different box modules depending on what the team wishes to do. Right now, I've just got an open box/delivery van and an RV (probably housing four instead of the six in the dedicated one) for my concept, but I'd love to hear what others might think.

You mean like Volkswagen did in the 1960s? Or you can still see with some military vehicles who use a flatbed chassis?

+Quote Post
Nomad
post Jan 4 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #8

The Wandering One

Ok, after a little reconsideration, I modified the original idea and stripped it down a little bit. I thought it would be better for a consumer vehicle to be smaller to facilitate easier modification. So here is the rough draft version.

Handling 0
Accel 15/30
Speed 120
Pilot 2
Body 12
Armor 10
Sensor 2
Avail 4
Cost 20,000

Concealed Armor

Base Form
Seating for 2 in Cab
Seating for 6 in Module

Cargo Box Module (+1,500)
Squatter Amenities
+4 Slots (Module Only)

RV (+5,000)
Middle Amenities
Living Space for 4

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.