Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question: Infected Carrier Quality
Muspellsheimr
post Jan 6 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,706

There was a recent thread discussing this, but was somewhat off-topic.

The Carrier negative Infected quality; Does this quality apply to each strain (HMHVV I, II, III), or to each Infected type (Banshee, Vampire, Loup-Garu, etc.).

The general consensus seems to be that it applies to each of the three strains, & I would be inclined to agree with that. However, reviewing the Infected rules, it strongly implies that a Vampire is unable to create a Banshee, & vice-versa, without the appropriate Carrier quality. It further implies that HMHVV I (Vampire) is different from HMHVV I (Goblin).

If anyone can provide a quote or reference to clarify this, it would be greatly apreciated. I would also like developer input on the intent.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Jan 6 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 6 2009, 04:18 AM) *
There was a recent thread discussing this, but was somewhat off-topic.

The Carrier negative Infected quality; Does this quality apply to each strain (HMHVV I, II, III), or to each Infected type (Banshee, Vampire, Loup-Garu, etc.).

The general consensus seems to be that it applies to each of the three strains, & I would be inclined to agree with that. However, reviewing the Infected rules, it strongly implies that a Vampire is unable to create a Banshee, & vice-versa, without the appropriate Carrier quality. It further implies that HMHVV I (Vampire) is different from HMHVV I (Goblin).

If anyone can provide a quote or reference to clarify this, it would be greatly apreciated. I would also like developer input on the intent.

This is actually WHY I initially started with the various carrier qualities representing the other types of HMHVV I infected. It IS ambiguous. IIRC in SR3 Nosferatu could only create other Nosferatu, but elves could also become them.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Jan 6 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 6 2009, 09:18 AM) *
However, reviewing the Infected rules, it strongly implies that a Vampire is unable to create a Banshee, & vice-versa, without the appropriate Carrier quality. It further implies that HMHVV I (Vampire) is different from HMHVV I (Goblin).

Where does it imply that?

QUOTE ("RC @ p.83")
HMHVV I (Ghilani Vrykolakiviridae)
[...]
HMHVV I is responsible for the creation of banshees, dzoonoo-
qua, goblins, nosferatu, vampires, and wendigo and can only
be spread by the Infection power. [...]
When the character awakens, he has lost all Resonance and technomancer abilities, acquired the
appropriate Infected (Banshee, Dzoo-noo-qua, Goblin, Nosferatu,
Vampire, or Wendigo) Quality, and has an Essence of 1 and Magic
of 1.

This should make it clear that the type of expression depends entirely on the metatype of the victim.
All types require infection by the same virus, the only exception is that nosferatu are created by a variant of HMHVV I :

QUOTE ("RC @ p. 82")
Carrier
Bonus: 5 BP
[...] A character cannot carry the strains for both vampires
and nosferatu.

On the same page, it reads :

Note that a character can only be infected by an HMHVV
strain that targets their particular metatype—attempts to infect
characters of a different metavariant automatically fail, though the
victim may become an unwitting carrier (at left).

The strain that creates vampires, dzoo noo quaa, wendigos, banshees and goblins is in all cases HMHVVI, just as the strain that creates loup garou, fomôraig and bandersnatchii is in all cases HMHVV II.
The only exception to this are nosferatu.

I'm only referring to the text in the rules section, as the flavour text is an ingame source and therefore not as reliable, but after i have just read up on that passage again, i see where you guys are coming from, as this text (under "What are the Infected?") always refers to "a species of HMHVV I".
It's unclear indeed and probably my assumptions are heavily influenced by statements from SR2 material, such as PAoE.

A clarification from the devs might be needed indeed.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Jan 7 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,234

Yep, somebody page Dr. Ancient.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 7 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Okay, let's try this again...

Each species of the virus targets a specific metatype (or in one case, sasquatches), with the (sole) exception of the species that creates ghouls. The old HMHVV "strains" have been renamed as subgenera. The viruses that create banshees, vampires, dzoo-noo-qua, goblins, wendigo, and nosferatu are all related (in the same subgenera) but each is a seperate virus.

That means that a human ghoul can create a troll ghoul or an ork ghoul, because only one virus affects all metatypes, but a vampire cannot create a dzoo-noo-qua or wendigo...unless they have the Carrier quality with the right strain. For ease of reference, you might think along the lines that every Carrier quality has to be paired with the Infected positive quality that the character is carrying.

As for why you can't carry the virus for vampires /and/ nosferatu? Because if you infect a human you would then have a problem about which virus applies.

+Quote Post
Vermithrax
post Jan 7 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 9,732

I was always using infection by primary strain. Just seems wierd to me that MHMVV1 from a Human cannot infect an Ork.
Virii IRL jump species all the time.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 7 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Yeah, but they tend to mutate when they do. Anyway, its partially a game balance mechanism: cuts down on the one-person-buy-Infected-and-infect-the-rest-of-the-group syndrome.

+Quote Post
Vermithrax
post Jan 7 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #8

Target

:sigh: I guess I'll have to rewrite a bit of story plot and retcon some prior info.
Either that or put it in the House Rules. My players like to know what non-core rules im using.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 7 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

can a non-infected become carrier?
i now imagine a totally inconspious totally in everything mediocre standard joe doe being carrier of all strains infecting people left and right.
himself being immune to infection and not even knowing that he's infective to any and all other races . .
constantly cursing his bad luck of such things allways happening where he decides to go . .

+Quote Post
Vermithrax
post Jan 7 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Target

the Mary Mallon of Shadowrun. Neat.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Jan 7 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 7 2009, 10:31 AM) *
Yeah, but they tend to mutate when they do. Anyway, its partially a game balance mechanism: cuts down on the one-person-buy-Infected-and-infect-the-rest-of-the-group syndrome.

How? You get points for taking the carrier negative qualities.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Jan 7 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 7 2009, 11:07 AM) *
can a non-infected become carrier?
i now imagine a totally inconspious totally in everything mediocre standard joe doe being carrier of all strains infecting people left and right.
himself being immune to infection and not even knowing that he's infective to any and all other races . .
constantly cursing his bad luck of such things allways happening where he decides to go . .

depends on the strain. HMHVV I requires essence drain to begin transformation doesnt it?

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Jan 7 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

@ AH :
Surprise, surprise.
I would not have thought that, judging from the text.

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jan 7 2009, 05:58 PM) *
How? You get points for taking the carrier negative qualities.

By RAW, each Carrier quality provides a cumulative -2 modifier on social tests- so a true typhoid mary type vampire who caries 7 different species of HMHVV (5 versions of strain I plus strain II and III) for 35BP gained would suffer a -14 penalty when not intimidating (in which case the possibility to infect everyone would be an advantage, of course).

However, people would have to know that he is the viral mothership No 1- not likely without a blood test or a particularly bad reputation.

Which reminds me that we could realy use a list of which qualities in RC add to bad rep out of chargen.

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jan 7 2009, 05:59 PM) *
depends on the strain. HMHVV I requires essence drain to begin transformation doesnt it?

Yes, so there would be no vampires accidentally popping up.
Unwitting strain II and III carriers, on the other hand, are always a potential nightmare scenario.
Ever wondered how Lagos got 1 million ghoul inhabitants?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jan 7 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Thanks for the clarification.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 8 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 7 2009, 09:31 PM) *
Okay, let's try this again...

Each species of the virus targets a specific metatype (or in one case, sasquatches), with the (sole) exception of the species that creates ghouls. The old HMHVV "strains" have been renamed as subgenera. The viruses that create banshees, vampires, dzoo-noo-qua, goblins, wendigo, and nosferatu are all related (in the same subgenera) but each is a seperate virus.

That means that a human ghoul can create a troll ghoul or an ork ghoul, because only one virus affects all metatypes, but a vampire cannot create a dzoo-noo-qua or wendigo...unless they have the Carrier quality with the right strain. For ease of reference, you might think along the lines that every Carrier quality has to be paired with the Infected positive quality that the character is carrying.

As for why you can't carry the virus for vampires /and/ nosferatu? Because if you infect a human you would then have a problem about which virus applies.

So in terms of game mechanics, how it that played out?

1) Nick the Vampire is a Carrier of HMHVV I?

2) Nick the Vampire is a Carrier of HMHVV I (Vampire)?

3) Something else?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 8 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Nick the Vampire is a Carrier (Vampire).

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Jan 8 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 7 2009, 09:49 PM) *
So in terms of game mechanics, how it that played out?

1) Nick the Vampire is a Carrier of HMHVV I?

2) Nick the Vampire is a Carrier of HMHVV I (Vampire)?

3) Something else?

The way I read it now with Ancient History's help is 3.) Something Else.

Nick the vampire is a carrier of HMHVV I: Vampire strain. He can make other vampires only. If he essence drains an elf to death, Infection fails because elves cannot become vampires.

If Nick The Vampire also has a carrier quality, and carries the banshee strain of HMHVV I as well, when he essence drains the elf in the previous example, a banshee may(will?) result.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 8 2009, 01:56 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Starry's got it.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 8 2009, 02:23 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

So in effect, an Infected can have a kickback of 35 BPs worth of Carrier Negative Qualities, instead of (at most) 15 BPs.

Another question with respect to Carrier: Apart from the negative Social modifiers, is there any difference between a Vampire with Carrier and a Vampire without Carrier with respect to the Infection power?

Can a Vampire without the Carrier negative quality infect an elf into becoming a banshee?

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Jan 8 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 7 2009, 03:31 PM) *
Yeah, but they tend to mutate when they do.

Sorry but biologically this makes no sense. If they mutate so much, no way they can stay uniform enough as to reproduce such consistent transformation patterns in each metatype. Besides, how did strains for elves & co. manage to survive the downcycle ? No really, the one-strain HMHVV-I model makes so much more sense, as it wasin previous editions.

Anyway, its partially a game balance mechanism: cuts down on the one-person-buy-Infected-and-infect-the-rest-of-the-group syndrome.

Argghh. The bane of RPG: utterly unplausible setting elements or unreasonably restrictive rules forced down the player's throat to curb supposed game balance problems. What happened to the truckload of points one has to pay to become an Infected character in play ? Those 100 pts or so are what is supposed to curb such problems. Besides, this campy biology does not really solve much: most of the characters in a group shall be human, and this rule does nothing to stop one Infected character to make all the other human characters in the group vampires or nosferatu. Or for that matter, purposefully making any Infected character with Carrier flaws for most of the other metatypes' strains. As always, such lamebrained so-called "game balance" rules do slow resourceful exploiters for say five minutes, while making life unreasonably diffcult or straining the suspension of believability of all the other players.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Jan 8 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 8 2009, 03:23 AM) *
So in effect, an Infected can have a kickback of 35 BPs worth of Carrier Negative Qualities, instead of (at most) 15 BPs.

Yep, exactly my point above. Now I'm rewarded with extra BPs for being able to Infect most of the other metatypes characters in the group. Big game balance enforcement measure, yeah.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jan 8 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

I agree that it does not make sense from supposedly being an attempt to balance it.

However, it does make sense from how the fluff is laid out, & I kind of like it (although it is a bit munchkiny).

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 8 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

The balance bit isn't the Carrier quality itself, it's that you cannot infect your entire group (probably) without taking the Carrier quality. Carrier is a negative quality because of the social modifiers and because it can complicate feeding. ("Jim, your lunch just got up and started biting people." "But I had elf for lunch...damn!")

Sorry but biologically this makes no sense.

Believe it or not, we do have a couple of people with degrees that know about this stuff - and while sometimes they can't agree, we generally get something workable out of it. One virus that causes umpteen different expressions isn't as plausible as a family of related viruses, each of which has a specific target and effect. This is why we don't have elven wendigo or vampire dogs. And really, do we need vampire dogs in Shadowrun? Probably not.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Jan 8 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 8 2009, 03:38 PM) *
The balance bit isn't the Carrier quality itself, it's that you cannot infect your entire group (probably) without taking the Carrier quality. Carrier is a negative quality because of the social modifiers and because it can complicate feeding. ("Jim, your lunch just got up and started biting people." "But I had elf for lunch...damn!")

Only if the average Carrier vampire/wendigo/banshee were oblivious enough to drain a victim completely destroying a body. I bet that few Infected that are long-term survivors are that clumsly and no Infected PC were. I agree that for vamp or nosfie carrying the ghoul virus is big burden, but as long as you are nay careful, being a Carrier for another HMHVV-I strain is a marketable perk more often than not. Selling "immortality in bite" or indeed infecting pretty much all the group (more or less: being an Infected definitely rocks for humans, elves, and orks, a bit less so for dwarves and trolls).

Believe it or not, we do have a couple of people with degrees that know about this stuff - and while sometimes they can't agree, we generally get something workable out of it. One virus that causes umpteen different expressions isn't as plausible as a family of related viruses, each of which has a specific target and effect. This is why we don't have elven wendigo or vampire dogs. And really, do we need vampire dogs in Shadowrun? Probably not.

But metahumans are nowhere that genetically different, they are subspecies of Homo Sapiens. The genetic changes that HMHVV-I causes among different subspecies are for the large part similar or akin to a pattern, and maybe easily explianed by the interaction between the virus and the various metagenes. Actually it makes more sense this way than a hodge podge of virus variants that each target just a metatype, or a human ethnicity, gender (apart of sexual organs of course), dog race, etc.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Jan 8 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Sorry double post

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.