Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advanced Lifestyles, Do you use them?
Tomothy
post Jan 9 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,558

I was wondering if many people use the advanced lifestyles from the Runner's Companion?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drogos
post Jan 9 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,746

We do. It adds some depth to the non-running portion of our characters.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 9 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

It´s optional for us, with almost complete opt-in.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Jan 9 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Same; if folks want to specify, they can, if they want the basic lifestyle in the BBB, it's all good as well. I always use it, personally, on my characters. Adds lots of color.

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post Jan 9 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,558

Awesome! I was hoping that was the general feeling. I think they're great.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 9 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Optional but all the players in my group are using it. I like them since they add a lot of color/flavor to a character. Just double check to make sure a player doesn't try to abuse them. There are a couple of options that can make the character a down-time monster.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jan 9 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Ditto here. All my characters are using it. It adds a lot of flavour to the game, but I agree with InfinityzeN that the GM should be wary of some of the options (Feng Shui, Resonance Pool) and only grant them under special circumstances.

The addition of the Lifestyle options also makes running game scenes at the player's residence a much more viable option since the location has some "quirks" about it, rather than just the "generic Low-class apartment."

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 9 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Hell, I think only 1 of my 5 players has an apartment. One has a Town-house in a middle class area, one has a warehouse in a lower class industrial district (though it is very nice inside), another has a section in an old sewer, and the last one slips my mind at the moment.

*edit*
He has some sleeping quarters in the back of his Shop.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jan 9 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

It helps flesh out the character's life. it makes them more than just numbers on paper to think about how she lives etc rather than just "med life style, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) 5K "

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Jan 9 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

We also use them, but with a few tweaks for making our own stuff.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Jan 10 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

Out of curiosity, what canon RAW are there for mechanical effects of having a given lifestyle?

+Quote Post
Beetle
post Jan 10 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,883

It's entirely optional in most cases in my game. The only exception is if a player wants to buy a permanent life style, then we sit down and determine everything that goes along with it. Personally I like the flavor that it adds and wished all of my players did it.

+Quote Post
Falrien
post Jan 10 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,737

I am using it with my lot, it adds some depth to their lives. The mentalist elf gunslinger likes to keep his apartment at a balmy onehundred degrees and looking like a sunny tropical beach. He lives in the barrens.

+Quote Post
Wintersmith
post Jan 10 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 12,478

As a GM I don't require it, but I did add incentives to using them. We have a game based in LA, and if a player had a squatter lifestyle they began to suffer from exposure (radioactive water? Ewww!), etc. With the advanced option we now have a paranoid technomancer (we're running through emergence right now, with side runs for fun when I think of new idea) in a highly secure loft while the mage has created a magical lodge in an upscale part of Fun City. The other characters have similar fairly unique digs, and the rigger has gone so far as to create a map of his garage in AutoCAD. They really got a kick out of the options and as long as their food and housing is above squatter they avoid (most) of the penalties I had put in place for living on the street.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.