Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jackpoint
JTNLANGE
post Jan 13 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 885

I know I read somewhere the the Devs had someone in mind as the person who is accessing Jackpoint in the books.
I have gone over it and cannot for the life of me figure it out. has anyone come out with a guess or the actual person that it is supposed to be?

Trevor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jan 13 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I thought it was mentioned once that it was meant to be directed at the player reading it as "there" jackpoint account.

+Quote Post
JTNLANGE
post Jan 13 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #3

Target

That is what I thought but I know one of the freelancers on the board asked if anyone knew who the Jackpoint user was due to the clues left in the books. Any Devs shed any life on this?

Trevor

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 13 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

What makes you think it's not you?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 13 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (JTNLANGE @ Jan 13 2009, 11:48 AM) *
That is what I thought but I know one of the freelancers on the board asked if anyone knew who the Jackpoint user was due to the clues left in the books. Any Devs shed any life on this?

Trevor

Well, if there were clues left in the books, it would defeat their purpose if developers told you outright, wouldn't it?

Peter

+Quote Post
JTNLANGE
post Jan 13 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Target

Agreed but it is driving me crazy. A little more of hint?

Trevor

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 16 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

Kat O' Nine Tales is actualy Maria Mercurial, let me guess it wasn't this that you were looking for.
Sorry I don't get the whole thing, but I'll reread the loging interfaces (the only place I'm aware of in which thare is something personaly related to the reader) and try to figure it out.

+Quote Post
Draxtier
post Jan 16 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 16,656

There's not a lot of personal information in the jackpoint logins, but there are some consistencies. It's difficult to know what might be useful in identifying the person. A few bits of information we're given are:

From Street Magic: Netcat, Beaker, and Nephrine are online and in your area

From Runner Havens: Netcat has increased your Rep by +1
Netcat and Haze are online and in your area

From Arsenal: Am-mut is online and in your area

From Ghost Cartels: Your Shagalicious friend of the week Unna will be at Dante’s Inferno tonight
:: It’s not just kids though, far from it. I was at Dante’s Inferno’s a couple of nights ago and a bunch of corporate suits were doing flipside. They were talking trash about how it was going to get them laid and even handed out a few derms.
:: Devlin

So, Dante's Inferno is apparently a club in Seattle. Stands to reason that the jackpoint user lives there or at least was there at the time of Ghost Cartels.
What do we know about Netcat, who is the only runner to be mentioned twice as being 'in your area' and apparently likes our jackpoint user? If he/she has a home sprawl, (Seattle?) it seems likely the jackpoint users is the same. Beaker, Nephrine, Haze and Am-mut are also contacts.

I suspect our jackpoint user will be one of the people making comments throughout the books. There might even be a correlation between the 'responses to your jackpoint posts' and comments made throughout the books, but I'm not bored enough to try to find it!

There's really not a lot to go on. I imagine we'll need to wait for more info.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Jan 16 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

Netcat's a technomancer and has her own section in the fiction at the end of Runner's Companion...

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jan 16 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

She's a TM and Slamm-O! is flirting with her.
But there are more than the login pages. There are also some personal messages from time to time.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jan 16 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 16 2009, 11:37 AM) *
Kat O' Nine Tales is actualy Maria Mercurial, let me guess it wasn't this that you were looking for.

I think Mercurial got herself killed in Crash 2.0.

And in later books they seem to be less personal for some reason. Messages are pulled from junk rather than sent to you, or are from other people.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 16 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

As a writer, I'm not aware of any secret Jackpoint poster. I thought it was just supposed to be written as if the reader is viewing his/her own Jackpoint account.

+Quote Post
martindv
post Jan 16 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

QUOTE (Draxtier @ Jan 16 2009, 07:33 AM) *
So, Dante's Inferno is apparently a club in Seattle. Stands to reason that the jackpoint user lives there or at least was there at the time of Ghost Cartels.

heh. Ever since the Arc's shutdown, which seriously dampened the rep and access to Club Penumbra, Dante's Inferno has been THE club in Seattle.

However, there are actually three locations of Dante's. The original in Seattle, one in Hong Kong and one in London. And Purgatory in Atlanta(? I think). They're all owned by the same guy.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 16 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 16 2009, 02:47 PM) *
I think Mercurial got herself killed in Crash 2.0.

I disagreed.
Lets take a look to Unwired, at p.17 you jackpointer recive a private message from Kat in which she gives you a list of some of hers favourite virtual clubs, she also offers you a VIP pass to any of them in exchange of a little favor, the interesting bit is that the masquerade is the virtual extension of the Grande Tour, very exclusive, she must have some serious connections and be accepted among the high and mighty to provide a VIP pass for that club. Lets pass to Runner Companion, in the ministory introducing the advanced lifestyle she is looking for a place to stay away for a while, she can afford any of is offered to her but hers requirements are strict; in the end she accepts to inspect a penthouse in Tacoma, there she realizes that the place is the replica of a previous place where she spent time, she asks the guy showing her the place if he was a stalker and he answers that he's just a big fan (she also introduced to the guy's goulish friends). To have more reveling particulars we must take a look to Corporate Enclaves, at p.45 Kat states that she hates the Aztechnology (but can't live without a lipstick they produce) and Frosty (no need to explain who she is, right?) asks "Yes, but where do you get that silver body glitter?"; placing the various particulars together we know that she she has silvery skin, hates the Azzies, has clout in high society and fans. It all gives a certain meaning to hers comment on biosculpting in Augmentations (p.56): "Ever thought about fucking Maria Mercurial? Well, you can - by lining some mobster's pocket, of course".

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 16 2009, 02:47 PM) *
And in later books they seem to be less personal for some reason. Messages are pulled from junk rather than sent to you, or are from other people.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/question.gif) What?

Anyway I've found an interesting bit, in the log-in page of Augmentations the Jackpointer recives a message from Ms. Brackhaven, anyone have any dirt on this?

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 16 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 16 2009, 02:33 PM) *
She's a TM and Slamm-O! is flirting with her.
But there are more than the login pages. There are also some personal messages from time to time.

You're right... I hate you now I have to go trough all the books again.

+Quote Post
Pyritefoolsgold
post Jan 16 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,861

I don't know, I just think it's awesome that they made my favorite character from unofficial shadowrun fiction (winterhawk) a shadowtalker.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 17 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

heh, some SR3 books had dumpshock nicks show up in the shadowtalk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jan 17 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 16 2009, 06:30 PM) *
I disagreed.
Lets take a look to Unwired, at p.17 you jackpointer recive a private message from Kat in which she gives you a list of some of hers favourite virtual clubs, she also offers you a VIP pass to any of them in exchange of a little favor, the interesting bit is that the masquerade is the virtual extension of the Grande Tour, very exclusive, she must have some serious connections and be accepted among the high and mighty to provide a VIP pass for that club. Lets pass to Runner Companion, in the ministory introducing the advanced lifestyle she is looking for a place to stay away for a while, she can afford any of is offered to her but hers requirements are strict; in the end she accepts to inspect a penthouse in Tacoma, there she realizes that the place is the replica of a previous place where she spent time, she asks the guy showing her the place if he was a stalker and he answers that he's just a big fan (she also introduced to the guy's goulish friends). To have more reveling particulars we must take a look to Corporate Enclaves, at p.45 Kat states that she hates the Aztechnology (but can't live without a lipstick they produce) and Frosty (no need to explain who she is, right?) asks "Yes, but where do you get that silver body glitter?"; placing the various particulars together we know that she she has silvery skin, hates the Azzies, has clout in high society and fans. It all gives a certain meaning to hers comment on biosculpting in Augmentations (p.56): "Ever thought about fucking Maria Mercurial? Well, you can - by lining some mobster's pocket, of course".

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but Kat isn't Maria. Kat's info (as well as the others) can be found here: Jackpoint Poster List. As you see she's got a fan base all her own. As to why she's accepted amongst the high and mighty... well... I guess you'll just have to keep watching for comments as more of her background is revealed. (Same as for the other shadowtalkers.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

edit: oh, and the silver body glitter is makeup.

+Quote Post
Pyritefoolsgold
post Jan 17 2009, 02:42 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,861

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 16 2009, 08:32 PM) *
heh, some SR3 books had dumpshock nicks show up in the shadowtalk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You may have just engendered a horrible sense of hope in me, though I'd much rather my character (Nighteyes) get one than some guy named Pyrite.

but of course, either would be indescribably awesome, and both mean I need to post here more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 17 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 17 2009, 02:55 AM) *
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but Kat isn't Maria. Kat's info (as well as the others) can be found here: Jackpoint Poster List. As you see she's got a fan base all her own. As to why she's accepted amongst the high and mighty... well... I guess you'll just have to keep watching for comments as more of her background is revealed. (Same as for the other shadowtalkers.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

edit: oh, and the silver body glitter is makeup.

Hell it's the tird time I try to respond you, if this connection actes up again I'm giong to scream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ; anyway:
That link puts a serious dent in my theory, I'll give you that, but it doesn't make it impossible just improbable.
According to the Maria's stats provided in the Mercurial adventure she had 1,3 points of essence left. She could have awakened (and with all that she has been trought she probably had enough karma to initiate and raise hers magic several times) as an adept, Voice Control, Facial Sculpt and Melanine Control would allowe her to be whoever she want to be (Note: Melanine control affectes the skin and hair color not their reflective properties, that silvery glitter could be that; when Frosty asked Kat where did the glittering come from Kat answered that it was a quite a story, Maria's life IS a quite a story). Why would she have done it? Why not? Maria always pursed thing she was interested in, money and fame were just welcome byproducts, if she had any reason to wish to do it I would see her to do it. However an interesting cojecture could be derived from the band's name: Grim Aurora. The name implies a bitter new day, the day after the Crash would be fitting, maybe Maria's houseband died in the Crash and she couldn't keep singing as Maria as nothing happened, but she couldn't give up music though (what gave her back hers sanity), so she formed a band and named it after hers pain.
Naturaly this is just an hypothesis of conjecture, as you said we have to wait new books to learn more about characters background.

P.S.
Thanks for the link.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 17 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Deo gratias, it went trought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 17 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #22

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 17 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 17 2009, 06:41 PM) *

Indeed, but it applies bith the ways. I said that it can't be ruled out that Kat is Maria, not that Kat IS Maria. I made no assumption, just provided a plausible possibility among the others; and ruling out that possibility is as incorrect as considering it true just because it's not impossible, we know that Kat is the singer of a punk band, not what she did before the crash or how she have become what she is, ruling out that possibility is making an unprovable (based on this moment knowledge) assumption, even if this assumption has much higher probability of being true than the scenario I've depicted.
I have written that it was just an hypothesis of conjecture because it wasn't meant to be even a conjecture, in time we will see but right now we have no way to prove or disprove one way or the other.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jan 17 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #24

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

That link puts a serious dent in my theory, I'll give you that, but it doesn't make it impossible just improbable.

hehe, I think when the assistant Dev of the game tells you your theory is shoot, that the info might be good enough to drop the debate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) I'm pretty sure it counts as an almost definite canon answer.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jan 17 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

A picture of Kat can be seen on pg 151, Runner's Companion. And hey, the guy stalking her is Larry.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.