IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What kind of geek are you?, Web Designer? Sysprog? Applications?
What is your programming language/environment of choice?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 178
Guests cannot vote 
Spookymonster
post Jan 5 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,638

Just curious what kind of talent pool we have out there for new development projects.
If you participate in the poll, please be so kind as to also add a reply stating your language of choice.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Jan 5 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

I'm a mainframe (z/OS) system programmer. I code REXX scripts mostly, with a dash of Assembly and Cobol. However, I've been a PC hobbyist since I was a kid (when C-64s were 'cutting edge'). Most recently, I've been dabbling in Perl, Java, and XML.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 5 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #3

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

Web designer. I tried my hand at Java, and I despise it. Might be the teacher, though. Didn't know what he was talking about.

At all.

Edit: I use HTML, know a bit of CSS, and am currently staring at a mostly unopened PHP book.

+Quote Post
Lich
post Jan 5 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 3,379

Web designer is what I'm aspiring to, though I've never actually held a job for it yet. I have a rather extensive knowledge of XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, a bit of XML and XSL, and I'm taking a PHP course this semester. XHTML is fun!

+Quote Post
Fahr
post Jan 5 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

I am a Windows programmer, and Unix/Linux Communications programmer, I have done HTML, XML, XSL, COBOL, C, C++, Java, .net... no VBasic though...

and I'm pretty fast with a spreadsheet too... ;)

-Mike R.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jan 7 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Well, I fit mostly a little bit of everything. I do a lot of web design, xhtml/css/php mostly.

My programming skills are rather rusty, I don't have much call for them. Although I've been doing a bit of PHP programming lately.

I also do a bit of administration. A little server and a little networking.

I pretty much keep to BSD-land, while being a recent OS X convert, so that's definately where my focus lies. I stay away from the Microsoft beast as much as possible.

I'm mostly a non-professional, but my job entails a little bit of everything above. I kind of prefer it not being a professional focus of mine actually.

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Jan 9 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

i dropped schooling cause it was a waste, but i was supposed to be a programmer. so now i play around with VB and c++ a bit as well as some accasional database apps with php mostly.

my real strength is in doing anything with hardware. give me a dremel and a soldering iron and i am a diety. i've got computers stuffed into places they should never be. waterproofed in the lockbox of my truck, jewelry boxes, router enclosures, etc. watercooled, windowed, lighted, silent, all kinds of weird stuff.

it's loads of fun, though there isn't any money in it here.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jan 15 2004, 07:20 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

None of the above, but if a project needs raw data, graphical design, or anything else where a field hand with some ability in Photoshop and cross-referencing can lend a hand, I'm here.

+Quote Post
tete
post Jan 17 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

None of those really fit me,
For work I go and do whatever they say needs done.
At home I mainly program/script/use Linux
I use x86 Assembly, C/C++, Perl, Open GL, SDL (gotta love frame buffers)
and im starting to use python but im not really into high level programing
Personaly i enjoy building a circit and then making it do somthing, either that or making sound come out of my video card or whatever (im just not very good at putting it back, oh well format time)
-pete h

+Quote Post
Aidley
post Jan 23 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,005

*raises sheepish hand*

artgeek....

can't code, can't program, but can make the eyecandy. :)

I like designing characters, and am looking forward to the day we can afford the new box and wacom tablet that i've been wimpering about for the last three years...

+Quote Post
John Archer
post Jan 23 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 5,816

A little bit of HTML/PHP/Perl/Javascript for web design, a little bit of C/C++, VB and ASM for school and for fun. I guess I'm just a hobbyist :)

+Quote Post
Slamm-O
post Jan 25 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,535

im pretty skilled in c++, i use it all day everyday and have for years that is. I also due different scripting, depending on what engine im using, alway been typeless c++ derived though. right now i am using the torque scripting. I would love to help out with projects but always have a full schedule.

+Quote Post
Jérémie
post Jan 28 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,208

HTML/CSS, and web design (not the graphist design, the engineering & ergonomics side of a project). A little SQL on the side, a very little PHP.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jan 28 2004, 09:35 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

I could have answered in multiple catagories, so I will reply, and not poll. I am a web developer and programmer by training, though at the moment not by trade...

- I know, and am still in the practice of coding with (if only in snippets, and out of boredom), HTML, Jscripts and CSS.
- I know, though am out of practice with, C++ and Visual Basic
- I am/was enamoured with Java... the language was just like a second language to me
- I have used perl, and waaaay back used turbo pascal, and basic when it was basic (gotta love 50+ printed page text based games that have dead ends because you got bored and stopped coding them).

I'm just a geek.

+Quote Post
Dakhran the Dark
post Feb 5 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 80

Need to have an option for "all of the above"... :D

And most of that is actually on a professional basis, even...

Anyway, by job description I'm primarily a VB & VBA programmer, but I'm also the defacto DBM for SQL Server 2000, and I rely heavily on Transact-SQL stored procedures for many of my projects. I'm also converting much of our old code and reports to web-based architectures, including .NET, ColdFusion, ASP, PHP, and Perl, and I've been giving MySQL a try for some of the PHP projects. I'm also a whiz at DHTML, and I'm trying to give Flash a try. I've also developed a nifty system which uses a Palm app as the client terminals, which then upload their data directly into a SQL Server database on sync.

And for fun I'm dabbling in RAD on Linux using C++ and Qt, and cross-platform development with Java and Borland's JBuilder X. Of course, since nobody's paying me to do it, I haven't kept up with it too rigorously. And I've been playing with Python and the wxPython libraries, which are also fairly cross-platform.

About the only thing on the list I haven't had much playtime with is the more recent Apples -- I learned BASIC and assembler on the Apple II+, Pascal on the Mac, but nothing since System 7...which probably gives a good indication of my age...

+Quote Post
Hero
post Feb 5 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

I do HTML and make heavy use of CSS, CSS are a life savers when you want a uniform look to you web page. I been giving Java Script a go but no luck so far, the same with PHP.

+Quote Post
boodah
post Feb 10 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 5,596

i like a programming challenge. windows hta's using web languages. nice thing about them is the xml databases you can host on a share to hundreds of users...with minimal bandwith and all files stored in the same spot as the application itself :)

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Feb 15 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

I'm a dabbler of sorts with professional experience coding UNIX and Windows solutions, I know how to admin a Linux Box and a Windows Server Box, I know how to build systems and build applications in (v)C/C++ Fortran, VB, HTML, JS, VB.NET, Assembly(blech) and Cobol. I can do SQL and design databases. Most of my experience comes from military work, the rest came from where I'm working now and my own personal drive to learn new things. I know winsocks for VB, learning Winsocks in VC++

I'm also working on SCOS, when I have time, I have a wife and kid, RPG's to run/develop/play in, so time can be scarce, but I don't intend to slack off on any projects that need work, and I'm always willing to lend a hand if I can score some quality coding time. let me know if you need anything.

+Quote Post
crechebaby
post Mar 5 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,078

right there with you, aid.. artgeek.
used to web program, but got too lazy to keep up with the trends.. especially since I wasn't being paid ;)
funny how that can affect your enthusiasm for something.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Mar 21 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #20

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Generally speaking, what you all are describing is nerds, not geeks. Geeks are the guys who know technology, who can build your computer like a Shadowrunner strips down an Alpha. But his eyes gloss over when you start talking about programming. A geek is the guy you call when your computer doesn't turn on in the the morning. A nerd is the guy who makes the programs that don't work, so you call a geek to make it work.

Huzah for the geeks!

i'm a IT Helpdesk geek.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 21 2004, 03:21 AM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

im a geek looking for a place to park my claim. right now i tryed to take som certifications but man are those systems nuts. i could have handled any practical case you could trow at me but all those theoretical questions with microscopic diffrences in the answer option i dont parse (so to speak). i learn by doing not by remebering a textbook word by word.

so i guess i have to see if there is any helpdesk posisions available.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Mar 21 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

I am a web-coder sales-geek. I wrote the shopping system for my own company and I am working on an undisclosed 'community project'. Shameless self-promotion (especially commercial promotion) is taboo, so I will use a spoiler tag.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
lordsah
post Mar 25 2004, 06:40 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 6,176

I'm a dev who writes C++, abuses the C preprocessor too much, and wishes he could write everything in Python :)

I've had a smattering of experience in scripting/web languages, but most of my experience is Windows apps and C-derived languages.

+Quote Post
Johnny the Bull
post Mar 28 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 318

When I was in my teens I wrote document management software for medical/legal/financial companies in Delphi, but over the last few years I've found I'm better at the managerial level, espcially in guiding the translation of functional specifications into technical specifications. So I guess I am a corporate geek. :)

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Apr 17 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

SQL Server 2000, ASP, ADO here. Mostly focused on web-based software development. Like Dakhran, T-SQL stored procedures are my best friends.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.