Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hidden Ratings and Thresholds
PenCapBlue
post Jan 19 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,385

How do you guys all deal with device ratings and thresholds? When a hacker is trying to get into a node do you tell him the system and firewall, and subsequently the threshold he is trying to meet? Or do you say "Since you're going for security access, the threshold will be X+3" and only tell him when he has met the threshold?

To me it seems odd to tell a PC a threshold they must meet. It makes more sense tell them "you know that this should be an easy-ish task," meaning a threshold of 2-6, for example. This is, of course, unless the character has a knowledge skill relevant to the task at hand. For example having knowledge of a specific commlink, and thus the threshold he must meet to get in.

What do you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jan 19 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Purely for "game" purposes, I will often tell the player the necessary Threshold they have to meet. Sometimes I don't and just ask them to roll and tell me the total hits after each roll, then I let them know when to stop.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 19 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (PenCapBlue @ Jan 19 2009, 08:01 PM) *
How do you guys all deal with device ratings and thresholds? When a hacker is trying to get into a node do you tell him the system and firewall, and subsequently the threshold he is trying to meet?

Matrix Perception Test.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.