> New Qualities, Homebrew stylez
The Jake
post Jan 25 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

Hi all

I had an idea for a Negative Quality I wanted to put out there and get some feedback on.

Negative Quality -
Altered Memories

Similar in many ways to amnesia, Altered Memories indicates that the person with this quality has memories of a lifestyle that never was. Perhaps they are the subject of psychotropic IC, magical memory tampering or full blown simsense reprogramming.

I'm thinking the drawbacks at the low end range would be in the form of mild confusion (Compsure test or something) when a memory does not conform with facts provided to the character which completely contradict their memory (e.g. the PC believes they were in a given place at a different time and date but several people known to the PC can prove he was elsewhere and provide evidence) all the way to conflicting memories which will jeopardise the character's health and/or long term career(e.g. A mafioso PC believes the Don had his mother murdered and thus, hates the Don and is secretly plotting his revenge).

I'm wondering on the points cost and in game mechanics.

At 10pts, only certain portions of a person's memory have undergone significant retampering.
At 15 pts, extended periods (several months to years) of a person's lifespan have undergone severe re-writing.
At 20 pts, years (arguably an entire lifespan at the GMs discretion) have been re-written.

I was thinking that in this day and age, with cloning technology, simsense and magic being what it is, this sort of tampering is achievable and would not only be a good Negative Quality but a solid plot hook as well.

- J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JFixer
post Jan 25 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,727

Elf (-10bp)
(Restricted: Only allowable if you choose and pay for Metatype Elf)
You gain low light vision.
You gain +1 to your Agility attribute, up to the racial maximum.
You gain +1 to your Charisma attribute, up to the racial maximum.
You smell of flowers, and kittens.
You are cute, and awesome, and everyone loves you.
You are dead. Make a new character.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jan 25 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (JFixer @ Jan 25 2009, 12:06 PM) *
Elf (-10bp)
(Restricted: Only allowable if you choose and pay for Metatype Elf)
You gain low light vision.
You gain +1 to your Agility attribute, up to the racial maximum.
You gain +1 to your Charisma attribute, up to the racial maximum.
You smell of flowers, and kittens.
You are cute, and awesome, and everyone loves you.
You are dead. Make a new character.

Not exactly what I was looking for....

- J.

+Quote Post
JFixer
post Jan 26 2009, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

*snickers* I kid, I kid. I actually like elves. They have social stigma too, even if some of it is shock-and-awe. We havn't home-brewed any qualities yet, but we havn't had to. No one has asked for anything not covered by the rules in one of the printed books...

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jan 26 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

At 10pts, only certain portions of a person's memory have undergone significant retampering.
At 15 pts, extended periods (several months to years) of a person's lifespan have undergone severe re-writing.
At 20 pts, years (arguably an entire lifespan at the GMs discretion) have been re-written.

It is a good Idea ,indeed,but it might be a little too Much
and also this Disad. makes your Char the center of the Spotlight.A lot of Game time will either resolve around your Chars history or GMs may tend to ignore it completely (Simply because it needs too much focus )

but with 5 Pts for partial or 10 for total Memory rewriting it would be OK (imo)

Houhouka
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Zormal
post Jan 26 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,928

I always liked 'Pack Rat's Pockets' (5BP)

You are forever picking up and storing minor items in your pockets, bags and pretty much anywhere you can. Any time you need a non-combat item that costs less than 20 nuyen, you can find it in one of your pockets. If the GM rules that the item is particularly uncommon, or you are unlikely to have it, you must roll at least one success on an Edge test.

Maybe not realistic, but a fun quality for the dirty rat shaman living on the streets.

Many (almost all, actually) of our houseruled qualities were included in RC.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Jan 26 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

There's a character in my campaign with Altered Memories. I'm representing it with the Judas quality...

+Quote Post
JFixer
post Jan 26 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Zormal @ Jan 26 2009, 10:13 AM) *
I always liked 'Pack Rat's Pockets' (5BP)

You freakin Kender. ;p

I've been considering a flaw for religious zealotry, like Gaesa but for people with no magic. Intolerance is already really close though... Should start statting up those Humanis Poli members...

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jan 27 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 26 2009, 08:58 AM) *

It is a good Idea ,indeed,but it might be a little too Much
and also this Disad. makes your Char the center of the Spotlight.A lot of Game time will either resolve around your Chars history or GMs may tend to ignore it completely (Simply because it needs too much focus )

but with 5 Pts for partial or 10 for total Memory rewriting it would be OK (imo)

Houhouka
Medicineman

The 20pt one is rather extreme. But Borrowed Time is worth the same amount IIRC....

- J.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.