Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vehicle racing in 2070
gaelynn334
post Jan 30 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,412

Hello Everyone. I was thinking of making a dwarf rigger, that had a background in stockcar racing,grand prix, etc. Now I searched on here and I am not finding anything on leagues, i.e. Nascar, CORR, Formula 1. Maybe I just didn't dig deep enough or what but any help will be appreciated,thanks

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Jan 30 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

IIRC, NASCAR does still exist and is popular in the CAS. However, my recollection comes from a 2e book called Shadowbeat. I've glanced at the book recently (like last year), but haven't really read it-read it since we were playing 2e!

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 30 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

I know as of SR3/2060s that Formula 1 (or at least open wheel racing) was still around. Hell, they had an example of building a car that was an open wheel racer in the RBB3.

All in all though, it comes down to you. Your world, your fluff. If it fits in with the game you are trying to run, even as a nice little background event or hobby (one of the characters is a racing NUT!), stick it in.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 30 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Combat Biking and Urban Brawl would be the big two, though there is a (floundering) drone football league, which might be good background for a rigger.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 30 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Only problem is Urban Brawl isn't really racing. It is more a game of handball with automatic weapons and a single bike on each side.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jan 30 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jan 30 2009, 09:57 AM) *
IIRC, NASCAR does still exist and is popular in the CAS. However, my recollection comes from a 2e book called Shadowbeat. I've glanced at the book recently (like last year), but haven't really read it-read it since we were playing 2e!

Sadly, the Holy Shadowbeat does not cover vehicular sports outside of combat biker and Urban Brawl.

However, if you can get a copy, its worth it for the reporter rules alone. Even if they don't fit into 4th.

+Quote Post
yukongil
post Jan 30 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,818

that's funny I was just reading ShadowBeat last night.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Jan 30 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

Really? That sucks, it means I was dreaming or something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) Maybe the reference I'm thinking of was in the original RBB or something along those lines...

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 30 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jan 30 2009, 02:35 PM) *
Really? That sucks, it means I was dreaming or something :P Maybe the reference I'm thinking of was in the original RBB or something along those lines...

There was a Shadowrun Supplemental on the subject of NASCAR... Issue 11, google tells me.

+Quote Post
Mercurian
post Jan 30 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,796

Back when I was playing 3e, there was something my group found called NORCAR or some such thing. For the life of me, I can't remember where we found it. I want so say it was in the supplemental, though. I'll do some digging around on it.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 30 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

I'm sure there's a pretty nice cybersuite for professional racers and riggers. Control rig, simrig, auto-injector; maybe some built-in ECM.

(edit: boredom)

The Horizon Racer-X
    Zeiss Aufsehen Erregen Simrig
    Mitsuhama Jisha Control Rig
    Mistuhama Jikisan Hatamoto Control Rig Booster (3)
    NeoNET Thirdeye Attention Coprocessor (1)
    Renraku Algebraist Math SPU
    SpIn MondoMaximus Cyberskull (custom modification)
    + Erika SpeakURMind Datajack (custom engraving)
    + Horizon Mother Goose Biomonitor
    + Horizon Syrinx Song Reusable Auto-Injector
    CrashCart Diamond Ceramic Bone Lacing

The Competitor - 3.06e - 12F - 73,455¥
The ProStar (alphaware) - 2.45e - 12F - 131,910¥

Horizon's Racer-X cyberware suite uses the ultra smooth, impossible to intercept, interfere or mimic Horizon Dermacast skinlink to prevent your less than sporting competition from getting under your skin. Free integration with any modern vehicle software system! Ask about our ECM upgrade specials!

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jan 31 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

QUOTE (gaelynn334 @ Jan 30 2009, 07:54 PM) *
Hello Everyone. I was thinking of making a dwarf rigger, that had a background in stockcar racing,grand prix, etc. Now I searched on here and I am not finding anything on leagues, i.e. Nascar, CORR, Formula 1. Maybe I just didn't dig deep enough or what but any help will be appreciated,thanks

They do exist. The rules have continued to get tighter, as more mechanical aids have come out. Same way that in 1984 microchips programmed with the track to control steering were banned in F-1 racing.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Jan 31 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

I don't remember were I had read it (some previous edition book anyway), but I remember that NASCAR is about driving skill (no augmentations, all the cars must conform to certain templates, etc.), while the Formula 1 is a techonologycal contest more than racing, with both very twinked out car and very augmented pilots; there was also a buzz about an new type of armed Formula 1 about to be introduced (rigger's wetdream), that recruites heavily from air force fighter pilots..... yet I have no fragging idea of what happened after the Crash.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 31 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jan 31 2009, 12:30 AM) *
Zeiss Aufsehen Erregen Simrig

"Aufsehen erregen"? "Cause a sensation"?
Fits SR's history of giving stuff cool "exotic" names that completely fall apart should the reader know the language they come from...
(Think "Der Nachtmachen" or "Himmelsschmiede" or "Treffpunkt Raumhafen", etc.)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 31 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Jan 31 2009, 05:14 AM) *
"Aufsehen erregen"? "Cause a sensation"?
Fits SR's history of giving stuff cool "exotic" names that completely fall apart should the reader know the language they come from...
(Think "Der Nachtmachen" or "Himmelsschmiede" or "Treffpunkt Raumhafen", etc.)

*laughs* The pseudo-japanese ones are even sillier. (You didn't like my pun?) *cries*

+Quote Post
Rad
post Jan 31 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,715

*cough* That was an SR thing?

Thought that was a RL thing.

Most disillusioning thing I ever did was read some translated Rammstein lyrics. How can a song sound so bad ass and yet be so lame?

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Jan 31 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

Keep in mind the Baja/Off-road leagues... 1000 miles through the desert, magically active terrain, paracritters, armed opponents... hell, they put Personal Armor on the 'Speed=200' Hot Spur... what's that tell you? Makes me wonder what the Pike's Peak Hill Climb would be like by then.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jan 31 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

One of the SOTA books (2063 iirc) mentioned that Formula 1 had initially resisted the push to put weapons on the cars but had finally caved in and was arming them.

The list of things that are banned in Formula 1 right now is staggering, most notably Ferarri's system that allowed the driver to alter the suspension and aerodynamic settings on the fly, during a race. It's technology that I can see being commonplace in a world of heavily software assisted driving.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2024 - 11:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.