Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New GM, New to SR4, SR4 GM DocWagon Campaign
tr0n
post Feb 11 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,866

So, I'm new to SR4, though I'm very familiar with SR3 and beyond. I've never ran Shadowrun of any version and have put myself out there to my group to pull off a great SR4 game. I'm taking my time in development and reading all that I can absorb from the books, the Sixth World Wiki, Dumpshock, and various other sites.

I'm aiming for a DocWagon campaign to start and ease everyone into the game, as well as develop characters that aren't cardboard cutouts. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

I've also generated a few house rules for character creation I'd like some thoughts on:
  • Build Point limits have been removed from Attributes, Nuyen, & Qualities.
  • Only 1 Technomancer/Hacker type allowed.
  • Only 1 Magician and 1 Adept allowed.
  • All characters must have a SIN, criminal is ok with GM clearance.
  • Max Availability is 8. (F) is not allowed, ® is ok with permits, criminal SINners cannot have ®.
  • A minimum of 1/4 of allocated BP for skills must be spent on non-combat related skills. 2(4) Medicine/First Aid/Paramedic is highly encouraged.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Feb 11 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

After years of watching the flame wars on a Automobile Detailing website, I have a rule.

The first time I use any product, I use it exactly as the instructions suggest.
The next time I may or may not make adjustments.

Run a "Food Fight" game, with combat in a stuffer shack first. With archetypes out of the book. Get everyone settled before you make changes.

And this is from a man who has some of your house rules in his game.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Feb 11 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,861

I agree with BlueMAx, start out with the limits laid out in the book. They really will help create rounded PC's and keep players from min/maxing their attributes i.e. Body:6 Agility:5 Reaction:5 Charisma:1 Willpower:1 and so on.

Your other rules are very good and will help keep control of things a bit. But No maximum BP on nuyen might throw you another curve ball.

I ran a pretty successful Lone Star Campaign with SR3 and we had lots of fun just answering daily calls from Bum Fights to Gang Wars.

What are some attainable goals for the PC's going to be? Is there chance for promotion? Maybe a move up to High-Threat Response or Helo-Rescue?

Neo-Anarchist "Guide To Real Life" SR2 has some awesome information on DocWagon that can be easily converted to SR4. Vehicles, Standard Response Teams, Skills used by technicians ect. I am sure you could find an electronic file on that one if not in your local used book store.

Good Luck,have fun, and let me know how things turn out.

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 11 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Target

Run a "Food Fight" game, with combat in a stuffer shack first. With archetypes out of the book. Get everyone settled before you make changes.

I don't have a problem with this, but myself and my players are all very experienced gamers. We are also intimately familiar with the SR world via SR3 and beyond. It's just that we haven't jumped into SR4 yet and nobody else seems willing to run it. The only issue I have with running this is that it will be over too quick for my posse, and I don't want to deal with the bellyaches I'll hear about people wanting to customize their archetypes.
They really will help create rounded PC's and keep players from min/maxing their attributes i.e. Body:6 Agility:5 Reaction:5 Charisma:1 Willpower:1 and so on.

We don't have a problem with that type of thing. Besides, that would be ludicrous. I would blast them so hard with magic to teach them a lesson it wouldn't even be funny in the slightest.
I ran a pretty successful Lone Star Campaign with SR3 and we had lots of fun just answering daily calls from Bum Fights to Gang Wars.

This is sort of what I was aiming for, though I was going to start them out as an SRT and then move them up from there... That is, if they can manage to survive the corporate schemes and machinations that may come their way. I'm currently in the school of thought that their actions or the story could lead to a scandal which could put them out of a job or far worse. Another interesting idea on that note would be a short stint in prison which could just be time lapsed, or perhaps they have to break out of jail as soon as the lights go out. Who knows? I truly intend on letting them do a few "soft-runs" as just a "Working Joe" DocWagon SRT for the first session or two. With some obvious intense firefights to keep everyone interested.

Any idea on how I can work a Technomancer/Hacker into the troupe other than for drone control? I can easily put a Mage, Adept, or Sam to work. How about the Geek?

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Feb 11 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

Depends on how much you want your team venturing into grey areas for their clients. I mean, if they're the type to put nuyen over all else (or possibly really want to save lives...hahahahaha!) and a high-end client is just this side of corporate territory then that hacker might be needed to erase the team's trail or get them past some security to their client.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Feb 11 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #6

Running Target

What I am about to say is not meant to trigger any flamewars, its an honest attempt at help.

SR3 and SR4 are very different. Being that your experienced gamers, this will probably mean less confusion. However, if your players suffer addled minds like mine, they will make innocent mistakes. "That's how it used to work.... so I just kinda remembered it that way".

Its been a journey for my group, as we only stopped playing SR2 and moved into SR3 in about 2004. Rules shock, culture shock, and revision shock all layered on top of old dogmatic minds.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 12 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I remember the move from SR3 to SR4. I wasn't all that experienced with SR3 at the time, but there are enough similarities with differences that can make a difference.

One of them being the significantly reduced dice pools. Used to feel normal to throw 25 dice at a problem, thus only throwing 12 felt odd.

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 12 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #8

Target

"That's how it used to work.... so I just kinda remembered it that way".

I fully expect some of this to occur. However, I've taken at least some precautions to avert this type of fiasco. I've made available the Quick Start from Catalyst to all players and am also putting together my own rules walkthrough of which everyone will have a copy. Those of the Awakened or Matrix flavor will have a supplement for their own unique rules. Now, when I say we are experienced, I mean we have all been playing for quite awhile. Myself and 2 others for at least ten years of damn near everything. The other two are my only concern. They are experienced as well, though not as much and not with Shadowrun at all. This will make for an easier transition with those two, as they don't have any previous rules or fluff to unlearn.

On a lighter note, any idears on where to start? I'm thinking of just fleshing out the characters themselves with their day to day jobs as an SRT and getting a little involved in their personal lives. I think after a little familiarization with this, and a bond has been formed for the players with their characters, and the characters to eachother, then I can move into some more shady operations. Maybe first present them with a moral qualm such as an area effect that sends them after a client and they are forced to choose between a loved one who doesn't have a contract and another client. The ambulance only has room for two! Which do you choose and how do you explain this to your superiors? Maybe this could lead to darker things or a policy change. Thoughts?

I'm also wondering a few things about DWS:
  • What's their policy on employee healthcare and benefits? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
  • If an employee is severly injured on the job, their must be obvious insurance. Will DWS pick up the tab for Cyber/Bio replacements? Do they offer discount services to their employees for upgrades that will enhance work performance?
  • What type of limit do you feel I should set on company owned equipment provided for the job?
  • Who here thinks that DWS may have some shadow subsidary that could be involved in Cyborgs or even Cyberzombies?

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Feb 12 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

A tecnomancer using a machine sprite running diagnostics on client cyberware is one aspect.

And the security aspect..high level client is injured and the oposition is zeroing in on his locale the Technomancer/Hacker can spoof ID logs,spot and defeat traces,Jam Signals with Electronic warfare and generally wreak havoc on the bad-guys.

And all the equipment keeping your client alive is going to need someone monitoring vitals, administer pharmecuticals through auto injectors and work with the auto-docs.

TM/Hacker can monitor the bad guys wireless traffic, detect active wireless networks entering your area , and keep an eye out on High Profile clients through track and trace operations

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Feb 12 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

DocWagon still has a corporate agenda so you can bet any bleeding edge tech involving medicine, biology, bio-ware,cyberware and cybermancy is going to be hot. All corporations have the need for deniable assets at some point or another so if the PC's are doing a good job they may just get a call from the upper echelon of the corp to "Take part in a certain R&D project" or "Monitor a special Client."
As far as their contract and health care they should get basic DocWagon contract coverage. The corp takes care of their own.
With equipment give them some standard stuff in the beginning. Just what they will need to do the job. If they abuse it constantly, come back from shift with a busted up ambulance, or drug stocks come up empty regularly, then their manager can implement some form of punishment. Pay reduction, suspension without pay or down right termination.
If they do well start giving them harder tasks and more dangerous assignments and compensate by hooking them up with better gear. A pumped up ambulance with crowd control devices like smoke generators, flash packs, and gas grenade launchers. More armor and some heavy firepower is a nice treat when you have to go into a Z-Zone. But make them work for it. Good techs get the good assignments and better equipment

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 12 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (tr0n @ Feb 11 2009, 03:23 PM) *
[*] Only 1 Technomancer/Hacker type allowed.

It's not useful in this environment to be a heavy hacker. It's trivial to be a lightweight hacker.

[*] All characters must have a SIN, criminal is ok with GM clearance.

I'm not seeing docwagon hiring serious felons and issuing them guns.

[*] Max Availability is 8. (F) is not allowed, � is ok with permits, criminal SINners cannot have �.

DocWagon ISSUES them F rated gear, and ammo for same. They work for a company that will issue them their gear, and expect them to use it and only it.

[*] A minimum of 1/4 of allocated BP for skills must be spent on non-combat related skills.

I'd like strongly encourage medical skills.

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 12 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #12

Target

It's not useful in this environment to be a heavy hacker. It's trivial to be a lightweight hacker.

My player who will be donning the Technomancer/Hacker mantle is fairly creative and fully intends on being right up in the middle of things in person. I don't forsee too much of an issue there other than me having to be creative to utilize his skills and make things interesting and multi-dimensional. I've always been of the opinion to let your players play what they want. It's a bad GM who tells their players no because it won't fit, that's just being lazy and uncreative. Granted, there are times when a concept or personality won't fit with the group as a whole, but I woulld never limit someone from playing a character based on their abilities not being useful enough.

I don't believe a Criminal SIN has to indicate a felon. You could just be a SINless who was arrested at some point and then gained a Criminal SIN for booking purposes. It could also be possible with a work-release or parole program for a non-violent crime felon with a good story. This is one of the many things that will require my players to use common sense and sound judgement as well as the GM's approval. We all try to keep it as reasonable as possible.

DocWagon ISSUES them F rated gear, and ammo for same. They work for a company that will issue them their gear, and expect them to use it and only it.
Obviously this is the case, but in some instances, players may want something more customized or personal. This is just like a detective who is issued a gun by the police force or has the option to buy one (within reason!) on his own as long as it is registered properly. If they want something fancy or illegal, the first answer is no because they aren't criminals or runners and just don't have the contacts for that. Later in game however, it could make for some interesting reprecussions to explain to your superiors that you botched saving your client while using illegal arms that were acquired on the black market from non-existant people for an undisclosed sum...

I'd like strongly encourage medical skills.

I'm encouraging more than just medical skills, but yes. It's not listed previously in the post, but I am requiring all team members to have at least a decent first aid skill or specialization in medicine no matter their position on the team. They must have at least the basic skills required to be hired by DWS to be an employee.

Thank you all for your input so far. It's very much appreciated. Any other thoughts on any of this? DWS? Dunk's Will? A nameless woman with a tattoo? 17 seconds of blurry security footage? Crash Cart? Those are some jump points for my brainstorming on building an adventure or campaign. Go wild.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Feb 12 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 11 2009, 04:48 PM) *

To each his own. I prefer a DocWagon who hires serious felons.

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 12 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #14

Target

All corporations have the need for deniable assets at some point or another so if the PC's are doing a good job they may just get a call from the upper echelon of the corp to "Take part in a certain R&D project" or "Monitor a special Client."

I've been thinking the same thing. I like the idea of Cyborgs and Cyberzombies. I'm considering a full conversion Cyborg (CCU) as an option under the right conditions for a really loyal employee/player who gets completely fragged... but that's a long way away. Now getting sent out on a special retrieval operation to pacify and contain an "asset", on the other hand, could be a great start into a career in the shadows.

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 12 2009, 02:38 AM
Post #15

Target

Disappointment! There was some good momentum going in this thread and now it's came to a screeching halt! Maybe I'm just being impatient. I'm going to get dinner and some coffee. Leave me some gems for when I return, please!

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Feb 12 2009, 04:27 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 11 2009, 08:18 PM) *
To each his own. I prefer a DocWagon who hires serious felons.

Well. maybe they were serious felons before they joined Doc Wagon... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 12 2009, 05:34 AM
Post #17

Target

You know, not speaking from experience, but being a felon in todays job market doesn't necessarily bar you from a job. Specific jobs or companies may not hire you due to a record, while others will still hire depending on the nature of the crime. As I stated before, a criminal SIN doesn't mean you are a felon. Either way, I don't forsee it as a problem given careful consideration, good intentions, and a healthy background.

Any thoughts on how to drag them out of the norm as an SRT to "expand their horizons"?

Any thoughts on the limit I should put on the size of my troupe? Currently, I have 4 regular players, a fifth is come and go, and a sixth, seventh, and eighth may join.

How heavily involved are you or your players with a character's personal life in game, outside of the "job"?

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 12 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Minor stuff is ok. Issuing felons 12,000 pounds of vehicle to drive through the city at 80 MPH, narcotics and guns imposes a huge liability on DocWagon. As well as they are the people who are supposed to treat the very rich docwagon clients, which means they have access to their medical records. Again, this is a huge liability issue for DocWagon.

You can do whatever you want, but I think it's silly.

+Quote Post
Blackpool
post Feb 12 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 4,228

Well, I like to get into characters personal lives when it is possible. I've done whole sessions of just the characters out and experiencing the world and doing normal things while waiting for work. I really enjoy it and I want my players to take the ball and run with it. But some players need constant prodding and it gets frustrating when the game becomes job, sum up downtime, job, look for new gear, spells, etc., job, wash rinse and repeat.

I would say if your players what an in depth game, then talk to them about the various aspects of the SR world and get them thinking about what they would be doing in it. Then switch it to the characters and then maybe run through and little bit of solo or small group daily like things before you officially start the game. This should help you with the Doc Wagon idea because they will not be doing typical shadowrunner downtime things, they'll be doing normal citizen type things.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Feb 12 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 11 2009, 09:42 PM) *
Minor stuff is ok. Issuing felons 12,000 pounds of vehicle to drive through the city at 80 MPH, narcotics and guns imposes a huge liability on DocWagon. As well as they are the people who are supposed to treat the very rich docwagon clients, which means they have access to their medical records. Again, this is a huge liability issue for DocWagon.

You can do whatever you want, but I think it's silly.

you mean like legal lawsuit liability?
Or angry enemy liability?
Chummer, everyone runs a different dark future. In mine, you ain't got no right to sue Doc Wagon. Especially as a customer but just about everyone.
"Doc Wagon ran over my kid when he was chasing a ball." -- Angry mother
"File this paperwork here, and I am sure we will get to processesing it as soon as possible. Five to seven years, mam." Bored, incompetent, underpaid, overworked, Metroplex worker.

Now, if a Doc Wagon team hauls off and shoots some of somebody else's boys, that generates a whole different kind of liability.

They wouldn't have a team of felons doing regular support in Bellevue, agreed. But you know the C zones near the Z zones that need HRT people? who better to hire than people who are disposable... err desperate.... errr "In need of a new future"

Besides, it can make good copy.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 12 2009, 06:22 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Keep in mind that in the case of super platinum clients it's expected that Doc Wagon runs over, steps on, and otherwise ignores non-clients.

+Quote Post
tr0n
post Feb 12 2009, 06:41 AM
Post #22

Target

Keep in mind that in the case of super platinum clients it's expected that Doc Wagon runs over, steps on, and otherwise ignores non-clients.
I agree. Which makes for some fun reprecussions when you step on or run over another DWS client or even someone with friends in high/low places.

Felons aside, what kind of skills do you think the characters should bring to the table as a team?

I'm considering making some runners myself to use as NPC's that have contracts. They will get called in on these folks for aid, and then the characters can build contacts or enemies.

Crossing into corporate territory is up to the group. DWS may not approve and may officially have a strict stance against it, but if the team is slick enough to not leave tracks, and DWS looks the other way for a job well done, then kudos to them. Of course, no tracks are ever entirely erased. Someone will know something, and this leads to fun.

+Quote Post
JeffSz
post Feb 12 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,793

QUOTE (tr0n @ Feb 11 2009, 08:15 PM) *
My player who will be donning the Technomancer/Hacker mantle is fairly creative and fully intends on being right up in the middle of things in person.

I would tell him, in that case, he should play a Hacker and multi-specialize. A technomancer is a balloon full of chili. If he gets shot he's going down. Your hacker -can- be more "in the thick of things" and do well.

I don't believe a Criminal SIN has to indicate a felon.

In order for the Criminal SIN to give you build points, yes, you're an ex-con or an escaped felon (though you may have finished doing time and be legally released by now). If you have a criminal SIN but have been pardoned or if your crime wasn't serious enough to be a disadvantage for getting a job or getting around in the city, that's just backstory; no negative quality for you - no BPs!

Obviously this is the case, but in some instances, players may want something more customized or personal. This is just like a detective who is issued a gun by the police force or has the option to buy one (within reason!) on his own as long as it is registered properly. If they want something fancy or illegal, the first answer is no because they aren't criminals or runners and just don't have the contacts for that. Later in game however, it could make for some interesting reprecussions to explain to your superiors that you botched saving your client while using illegal arms that were acquired on the black market from non-existant people for an undisclosed sum...

I would create a package of "standard gear" including weapons, armor, medical equipment, etc. with a set cost in nuyen; have all players pay for that, and they start with that equipment - which can be restricted, highly unavailable, etc. Anything else they purchase for themselves would follow your houserules for availability etc.

Also i'd have them split the cost of the docwagon, and make sure each one has a middle lifestyle unless they have a good reason.

The reason i'd have them pay for these even though their employer is issuing them is that nuyen during chargen isn't actually the character's money, it's the value of their equipment and lifestyle, regardless of who "owns" it.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Feb 12 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

QUOTE (tr0n @ Feb 11 2009, 08:15 PM) *
SNIP
Thank you all for your input so far. It's very much appreciated. Any other thoughts on any of this? DWS? Dunk's Will? A nameless woman with a tattoo? 17 seconds of blurry security footage? Crash Cart? Those are some jump points for my brainstorming on building an adventure or campaign. Go wild.

Crash Cart...rivalry can go a long way, I'd consider creating a prime runner team of Crash Cart docs to be occasional rivals. I would introduce them by having them show up to pick up some corper that got tagged in a firefight with your team's shadowrunner client and do their best to hinder your team in the process. Eventually they look to actively harass your team as a joke, things escalate, etc. until they're played out and you get rid of them in a big blaze of fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Could make your hacker darned useful, too, when things escalate.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 12 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (JeffSz @ Feb 12 2009, 09:10 AM) *
I would create a package of "standard gear" including weapons, armor, medical equipment, etc. with a set cost in nuyen; have all players pay for that, and they start with that equipment - which can be restricted, highly unavailable, etc. Anything else they purchase for themselves would follow your houserules for availability etc.

Also i'd have them split the cost of the docwagon, and make sure each one has a middle lifestyle unless they have a good reason.

The reason i'd have them pay for these even though their employer is issuing them is that nuyen during chargen isn't actually the character's money, it's the value of their equipment and lifestyle, regardless of who "owns" it.

I'd argue that if you issue the player the stuff they don't get charged points. It isn't theirs. They can't take the Alpha home at the end of the day. They also can't use anything else in it's place on the job. "You WILL wear the armor we issue, I don't care how 'It slows me down' or 'It's too heavy'. There is the gym, feel free to use it after or before your shift or over lunch".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.