IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mage Sight Goggles, Mirrors & Line of Sight (LOS)
Ayeohx
post Feb 18 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,402

After a little research and thought I've come to the conclusion that the LOS rules for casting magic don't make sense.

Why does a mage need to see an opponent with "natural" or "optical" vision? Why will digital imaging (thermographic goggles) not work? I seem to remember "because you would be casting it the image instead of the person" but the same could be said for mirrors, fiber optics, binoculars, heck, even my glasses.

How do mirrors and fiber optics work for spellcasting? If a mage needs to be spatially aware of an opponent, the only reason that I can see for the necessity of optical vision, then I fail to see how mirrors and fiber optics truly pinpoint opponents.

Honestly, I've always despised the fiber optic crap. In the old systems when it was introduced it didn't seem to gel well with the explanations of how magic worked. It seemed to be another mechanic introduced for its "KEWL" factor.

I'm willing to change my mind here. I do not want to make house rules to resolve this, I just want to play the damned game as is. I just need to be able to explain it to my gamers so we don't blow the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Feb 18 2009, 02:46 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Because you are seeing the actual person through a part of you, rather than through an electronic relay.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Feb 18 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Hagga @ Feb 17 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Because you are seeing the actual person through a part of you, rather than through an electronic relay.

With potentially no idea as to their actually spatial location relative to you. Don't have the capacity to assense them, so you can sync up the mana in the area with their aura, which is the general description of spell casting in shadowrun, so why can you cast at all?
Why would casting at someone in pitch blackness through a set of thermal goggles be impossible, when you could still assense their aura, and doing so from 20 kilometers away through a fiber optic cable be perfectly fine, when you can not see any portion of their aura?

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Feb 18 2009, 03:28 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Refracted light and the way magic works. You can physically see them even without being able to see their aura, so you can form the imago, energise it with mana and slam it into their crotch over and over should you so desire.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 18 2009, 03:38 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Fiber optics and mirrors specifically work for casting spells. See: Mage Sight Goggles.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 18 2009, 04:39 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Hagga @ Feb 17 2009, 09:46 PM) *

every thing bought with Essence is valid for targeting... except those break the game like RADAR and Ultrasonic vision. You pay the Essence, but get none of the benefits.

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 17 2009, 10:15 PM) *
Why would casting at someone in pitch blackness through a set of thermal goggles be impossible, when you could still assense their aura, and doing so from 20 kilometers away through a fiber optic cable be perfectly fine, when you can not see any portion of their aura?

If there is any electronic boosting of the signal (such as extending the distance you can pump a light pulse through a fiber optic cable) then it becomes invalid for targeting with spells.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Feb 18 2009, 05:22 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

As has been implied, digital imaging doesn't work for spellcasting, because you can't see the target's aura. Fiberoptics and mirrors apparently reroute astral vision as well as light rays. Personally, I prefer to disallow targeting through fiberoptics. I feel that the spatial link between you and the target is lost. I don't care how well you can see the aura, if you don't know where it is, you can't connect (depending on what's between you and it, I might allow a perception test). But if anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, feel free...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 18 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 18 2009, 12:22 AM) *
Personally, I prefer to disallow targeting through fiberoptics. I feel that the spatial link between you and the target is lost. I don't care how well you can see the aura, if you don't know where it is, you can't connect (depending on what's between you and it, I might allow a perception test). But if anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, feel free...

Because then one mage (which by the way are 1 in 1000 rare) can cover a whole floor of a corp or more.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 18 2009, 06:24 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 18 2009, 12:22 AM) *
As has been implied, digital imaging doesn't work for spellcasting, because you can't see the target's aura. Fiberoptics and mirrors apparently reroute astral vision as well as light rays. Personally, I prefer to disallow targeting through fiberoptics. I feel that the spatial link between you and the target is lost. I don't care how well you can see the aura, if you don't know where it is, you can't connect (depending on what's between you and it, I might allow a perception test). But if anyone wants to try to convince me otherwise, feel free...

Except you DO know where the other end of the fiber optic cable is. I would think that would be the FIRST thing that the corp trainers do. I mean think about it. You are Joe the Corp Mage and you just stunned* a group of 'Runners. You need to tell the grunts where to go to pick up their dumb asses.

* = Stunball and stunbolt would I think be the first spells taught to a corp mage. It's not messy, it doesn't kill unless you want it to (by repeat castings), and it's low drain.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Feb 18 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

If there is any electronic boosting of the signal (such as extending the distance you can pump a light pulse through a fiber optic cable) then it becomes invalid for targeting with spells.

I understand the RAW of the mater, what I am questioning is the logic behind the RAW.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Feb 18 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 17 2009, 11:39 PM) *
every thing bought with Essence is valid for targeting... except those break the game like RADAR and Ultrasonic vision. You pay the Essence, but get none of the benefits.

ANY sight bought with essence works. It just so happens that Radar and Ultrasound are not sight, regardless if they are implanted or not.

The basic rule for targeting spells is that if you can see the light reflected off the target, you can cast spells on them. So mirrors and fiber optics work.

Personally I'm okay with casting through mirrors or transparent solids(like glass), but I don't like fiber optics or casting through invisible objects and typically don't allow it.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 18 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #12

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 18 2009, 08:13 AM) *
I understand the RAW of the mater, what I am questioning is the logic behind the RAW.

if you want a game world answer:

one thing works, another does not, all found by trial, error, and the odd lucky discovery...

basically, they have yet to nail down the hermetic explanation as to why it works, but for some reason it does, under certain conditions...

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Feb 18 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Remember that magic doesn't conform to human logic, or any physical laws. Just when you think you figured something out, the astral plane will throw a curveball at you, just to tee you off.

Trial and error is the only way anyone knows anything about magic.

+Quote Post
Gawdzilla
post Feb 18 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 16,833

QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Feb 17 2009, 06:18 PM) *
After a little research and thought I've come to the conclusion that the LOS rules for casting magic don't make sense.

If you try to formulate some sort of consistent scientific "theory of magic LOS", then no, they don't.

Why does a mage need to see an opponent with "natural" or "optical" vision? Why will digital imaging (thermographic goggles) not work? I seem to remember "because you would be casting it the image instead of the person" but the same could be said for mirrors, fiber optics, binoculars, heck, even my glasses.

How do mirrors and fiber optics work for spellcasting? If a mage needs to be spatially aware of an opponent, the only reason that I can see for the necessity of optical vision, then I fail to see how mirrors and fiber optics truly pinpoint opponents.

The hand-waving answer that I seem to remember has to do with the fact that light reflected from the actual object that you're casting at needs to enter your eye in order for the "mystical connection" required for spellcasting to work. Seeing a reproduced image of the subject will not suffice. Mirrors and fiber optics work because light reflected from the subject is actually redirected to your eye, as opposed to captured on a CCD and then reproduced for you. It would be akin to casting at a subject of a photograph. It has nothing to do with simply being able to pinpoint your subject.

Honestly, I've always despised the fiber optic crap. In the old systems when it was introduced it didn't seem to gel well with the explanations of how magic worked. It seemed to be another mechanic introduced for its "KEWL" factor.

I'm willing to change my mind here. I do not want to make house rules to resolve this, I just want to play the damned game as is. I just need to be able to explain it to my gamers so we don't blow the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing.

The official explanation as I understand it is what I mentioned above.
You can get into all sorts of nitpicking about "how is a cybereye different from a camera", and whether any particular cyberware system has a direct input to your visual cortex and therefore should work, blah blah blah. To be frank, I think the magic theory and LOS systems were not meant to stand up to such scrutiny, and the rules are there mostly for game balance rather than because they are internally consistent under scientific analysis. But if you simply want a semi-plausible explanation (and really, what more can you hope for in any RPG incorporating magic?) for mirrors and Mage-Sight Goggles, then I think that the official line actually works quite well.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Feb 18 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 18 2009, 04:39 AM) *

Exactly. It's part of you.

+Quote Post
Gawdzilla
post Feb 18 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 16,833

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 17 2009, 08:39 PM) *

You mean aside from the same benefits that anyone else would get with that modification? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Being able to see through several walls certainly has its benefits, even if you can't spell-target with it.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Feb 18 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

My thought was that the image must get to you uninterupted, so it's not a new image, but just a bending or distortion of the old image, because technology can't see magic, and thus can't target it. If it's a new image (such as in the case of a camera taking a picture and converting it to digital to send it, then having it converted back into something else on a screen) then you're not really looking at the magical image of the creature, just the digital recreation of it. But evidently mirrors and the like can indeed reflect everything, including whatever the magic needed to see.

JaronK

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Feb 18 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (JaronK @ Feb 18 2009, 06:54 AM) *
My thought was that the image must get to you uninterupted, so it's not a new image, but just a bending or distortion of the old image, because technology can't see magic, and thus can't target it. If it's a new image (such as in the case of a camera taking a picture and converting it to digital to send it, then having it converted back into something else on a screen) then you're not really looking at the magical image of the creature, just the digital recreation of it. But evidently mirrors and the like can indeed reflect everything, including whatever the magic needed to see.

JaronK

You can't apply physical theory that cleanly to magic. Hermetics may hold that as a valid theory, but unfortunately magic doesn't like to do what mages think it should do.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 18 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #19

panda!

remember one thing, in earlier edition there was different variant on cybereye modifications, one optical and one digital, so that mages could gain the benefit.

these days i think its mostly boiled down to fluff, for ease of bookkeeping.

as for radar and ultrasonics, they are both waves that a metahuman is not equiped to deal with, and as such needs to be interpreted by electronics before it can be understood by the mind.

the visual spectrum on the other hand can be piped relatively unaltered to the brain as long as the visual nerves are mostly intact. i suspect that cybereyes, regardless of name, are mostly analog in nature, less work that way.

hell, i suspect that a lot of tech in SR, at least the type that involve brain interfaces, are analog, or at least pack so finegrained analog/digital converters that one could not tell the diff unless one hooked a equally sensitive scope and overlayed the original and the output of a A/D-D/A chain.

oh, and here is another one. mirrors work on the astral, no? but computer screens are unreadable on the same plane, yes?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 18 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 18 2009, 08:34 AM) *
oh, and here is another one. mirrors work on the astral, no? but computer screens are unreadable on the same plane, yes?

From what I recall, yes.
You get a vague sense of what's on the computer screen ("Lots of numerical information, probably accounting data" or "An internet browser at a news source" or "some kind of simulated card game" vs. "An excel spreadsheet showing the company's expenses over the last two months," "The internet is open to a webpage, NPR.org," and "A game of solitaire").

+Quote Post
Kev
post Feb 18 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,063

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 18 2009, 08:34 AM) *

Exactly. Astral space, and thus aura reading, would allow you to read somebody's aura either through something that is transparent in the real world (glass is still transparent in the astral), or off of something that is reflective in the real world. If you looked through Magesight goggles in the astral, you should still be able to see their aura.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 18 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #22

panda!

hmm, i was under the impression that computer screens where basically blank, as they didnt present any "emotional" content, vs say a book (how that deals with a printed copy im not sure i want to get to deep into, tho i guess the emotional content would be somewhat subdued vs a handwritten version of the same text).

thing is that if one gets technical about how a fiber optic wire works, its like a rolled up mirror in the shape of a hollow tube.

so in a way it becomes like having a mirror at every corner of a hallway, so that the same can stand in one end, and see reflections of reflections...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 18 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 18 2009, 04:39 PM) *
hmm, i was under the impression that computer screens where basically blank, as they didnt present any "emotional" content, vs say a book (how that deals with a printed copy im not sure i want to get to deep into, tho i guess the emotional content would be somewhat subdued vs a handwritten version of the same text).

Mmm. It's hard to say. My group hasn't encountered computer screen devices when someone's astrally perceiving yet, though we have run into signs and the like.

+Quote Post
The Neutronium A...
post Feb 18 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 3,810

It's all about the interaction of photons in the 380 nm to 760 nm range with the metahuman aura. Only photons which have come directly from the target have the auric resonance required to allow magical effects to track back. This is a quantum thaumaturgic effect known as the Granger relation.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Feb 19 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Well, we already know technological devices lack the ability to see magic itself, only the effects of magic. So, that's why I go with my theory that any mechanical device that translates the image into something else (as opposed to simply redirecting the image) simply fails to make the translation of whatever it is that magic needs to see.

Photons that come from the target does make some sense, but would that mean some sort of bat shapeshifter that only sees via ultrasound can't target things? That doesn't sound right to me at all.

JaronK

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.