Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying Karma, whuts the page number?
Joker9125
post Jan 8 2004, 06:20 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,909

Any one know the page number on the rules for buying karma?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 8 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

Shadowrun Companion pages 79-80.
Optional rule, GM may allow it or use it with limitations (like limiting the exchanging of Karma to be only between team members at whatever price they agree to).

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jan 15 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Though not actually buying karma, one could use standard rules of MitS to let someone else pay karma, it is on the last page before the index in the list of magic costs.

Although it won't help in many situations, paying an enchanter to create a focus and then paying them 5000 :nuyen: to bond the focus to any desired magician present can help. Especially if one is a magician perpetually short of karma.

Need to bond a Force 3 sustaining focus? Pay an extra 15000 :nuyen: for the karma to have it bound. Take the 3 karma savings and learn 3 Force 5 spells by doing a rating 4 astral quest to reduce the karma of each spell by 4, sorry there is a 1 karma minimum.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 15 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Senior GM

Joker9125 has found rules for creating Orichalcum that would net a new character almost 300,000 :nuyen: in a month of work, or an Initiate 2 about 500,000 :nuyen: in a month, if the GM lets the character sell Orichalcum at book-price. I think he wants to work a month and then buy 100 Karma, spend his Karma, and then take his next run while his Ally spirit makes his next batch of Orichalcum. Every month thereafter he can earn 5 or 6 karma doing runs, and buy another 60 to 100. His character currently has about half-a-mil :nuyen: on him.

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Jan 15 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

that's probably the most munchkin job scheme i've ever seen.

awesome, in that "totally breaks the game" way.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 15 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Senior GM

Yeah, fourstring_samurai, I'm impressed. He's mixed things from 3 or 4 books in a way that outdoes the munchkins in my campaign. I look forward to his future creative postings, as they better prepare me to just say no when my munchkins come up with something new. (Most in my game, including me, try to come up with the next creative munchkin thing that we'll have to outlaw.) I pity his GM.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 16 2004, 01:46 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (OurTeam)
I pity his GM.

I don't! In my opinion, his GM brings it on himself.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 16 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

If the player wants to become a talismonger, more power to him. Kinda defeats the purpose of playing the game.

And I'm sure the regular contributors to the "Evil Bastard GM" thread could innundate us with volume after volume of complications that could manifest to make this player's life absolute hell.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 16 2004, 04:20 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

And if necessary I could always try to summon the magic NotW. I'm not sure how accurate his statements were, but he told tales of being the accepted EvilGM Lord of Dumpshock way back when.

~J

+Quote Post
The Burning One
post Jan 16 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 2,067

The easiest way I've seen of dealing with this is simply by placing a cap on the maximum amount of karma you can buy per adventure. At present the rule in our game is every time you go on a run (or complete a major objective that occupies a night of gaming) you are allowed to buy a maximum of 10 karma. This usually allows a player to pick up enough extra karma to do some reasonable character development if they're willing to burn the nuyen but prevents large payoffs from resulting in massive jumps in power.

The idea that someone could walk out and dump a few hundred k :nuyen: and suddenly become godly powerful seems somewhat, well, silly.

TBO

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 16 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Well, it is a brilliant use of game mechanics and optional rules.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 16 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Yeah, cause there's absolutely no way that the game mechanics and optional rules could be broken regarding the enchanting process. Nuh-uh.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jan 16 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Of course not! :grinbig:

However, it is up to the GM to say "No!" and stop the ridiculous thing from happening.

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Jan 16 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,153

QUOTE (OurTeam)
Joker9125 has found rules for creating Orichalcum that would net a new character almost 300,000 :nuyen: in a month of work, or an Initiate 2 about 500,000 :nuyen: in a month, if the GM lets the character sell Orichalcum at book-price. I think he wants to work a month and then buy 100 Karma, spend his Karma, and then take his next run while his Ally spirit makes his next batch of Orichalcum. Every month thereafter he can earn 5 or 6 karma doing runs, and buy another 60 to 100. His character currently has about half-a-mil :nuyen: on him.

That's assuming; 1.) That one is able to find a buyer for the Orichalcum. It is after all a bit pricey and not always a selling market... especially during the comet days. 2.) That much Orichalcum tends to make one a target for those who don't want to spend the money. More than once I've tagged a runner's doss for trying to do that and wasn't properly prepared.

As for buying karma, I put limits on how much can be bought in a specific time frame and also how much each costs according to rep level. I don't allow my players to buy more karma than thier karma pool in a single month of game time. They can't boost thier good karma over three times thier karma pool either. Finally, the cost break down;

Shadow
Total
101 - 250 1,000¥
251 - 500 1,500¥
500 - 750 2,000¥
750 - 1000 2,500¥
1001+ 5,000¥

That's just the way I found to limit the rule tweaking. :)

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 16 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Geez, my players never even get past the first tier on that chart :P

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Jan 16 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,153

QUOTE (Zazen)
Geez, my players never even get past the first tier on that chart :P

LOL, I make my players earn thier first hundred before they can start buying. Of course, I also slow down karma pool after the 100 mark to 1 point every 25 instead of every 10 as well.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 17 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

It's easy enough to justify -- drop two or three hundred k for full-immersion virtual trainers that are almost as real as actually being there.

Game mechanic: cash spent for Karma spent on skill improvement.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jan 17 2004, 06:17 AM
Post #18

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Siege)
It's easy enough to justify -- drop two or three hundred k for full-immersion virtual trainers that are almost as real as actually being there.

Game mechanic: cash spent for Karma spent on skill improvement.

Which is why I don't allow cash-for karma, but I do allow cash for karma discounts. If someone does what you describe, going above and beyond my requirements, then I reduce the karma cost by an appropriate amount. I don't actually give them any extra karma, although it works out in a similar fashion.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.