Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trid Phantasm and You, Trib Phantasm vs. Physical Mask
Tekatana
post Feb 20 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,877

Can Trid Phantasm's effects be used to also duplicate the effects of Physical Mask or even Invisibility? I know its a different spell than those two but it seems like it is a more advanced version of those spells that can do what Mask and Invisibility can do plus mass illusions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
craygo
post Feb 20 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,167

Yes a Trid Phasntasm can be used in place of Physical Mask,

No, Trid Phasntasm can not turn something or someone Invisible.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Feb 20 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

What he said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 20 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Personally, to avoid power creep by Trid Phantasm (TP) into the realm of other spells, I specify that TP cannot be used to mimic the effect of any other Illusion spell. Since TP is a multi-sense, realistic illusion, you could conceivably use it to own all other illusion spells at once. Too many times did people try to logic their way into that with me so I just said that there are other illusions spells for a reason so TP is the spell to go to when you need a complex illusion of something that isn't covered by anything else.

+Quote Post
Tekatana
post Feb 20 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 16,877

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 20 2009, 12:29 PM) *
Too many times did people try to logic their way into that...

That's totally what I did with my GM. I tried to logic him square in the face citing "well the drain is crazier and it just lets you do more with illusions" - I just needed to get some other opinions on it to see how others deal with spells that are very similar in function. just with expanded effects.

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Feb 20 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

Possible fluff: Mask is really good at staying right in position over your face and across your body. Trid Phantasm would be fine if you just want a one-shot static image overlaid on your face, but if you want it to constantly stay aligned with your moving body, that's gonna take more than the -2 concentration penalty.

Compromise: it kinda works, but at, say, threshold 2.

With all magic questions, there's the difficulty of not turning to the real world to see how well you're simulating reality... though some GMs want simulation with, say, guns, and others want cinematic.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 20 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I ruled that Trid Phantasm can't duplicate Invisibility because TP only adds objects to a scene, it can't remove them (though it could retexture them, but that'd be like painting yourself to look like a brick wall in order to sneak around).

+Quote Post
jzn
post Feb 20 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 16,894

I like Riley's explanation, that mask specializes in the nuance of following your face and body with illusions. I also his threshold addition, so you can still jury-rig a similar effect with trid phantasm. Maybe, since Trid Phantasm does not incorporate invisibility, the mask-disguise you pick has to be a little bigger than your real body.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Feb 21 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (craygo @ Feb 20 2009, 10:11 AM) *
Yes a Trid Phasntasm can be used in place of Physical Mask,

No, Trid Phasntasm can not turn something or someone Invisible.

Yes and no. (I wish it was a more full no, due to this spell making most other illusions worthless but)

Yes it can make some one else look like something different. Heck it can make the whole team appear different.

It is an AoE sustained spell so it has two problems,

1. When you are trying to move the AoE, cause I don't know you are walking down the street it takes a complex action to move it.

2. If anything falls out of line of sight of the spell it drops from them. So your Sam turns the corner before you, hew is no longer looking different, someone falls behind you or you look behind you or anything else and poof it is gone.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.