Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Submersion Task - Source Code, How Long will it take
Unnamed Technoma...
post Feb 20 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,131

I'm getting ready to do submerge for the first time and i want to do a Source Code Submersion task to get the price down. so i'm reading in unwired and i see the following

To shape this source code, the technomancer must perform a Logic + Software (8 + desired submersion grade, 1 week) Extended Test

so my logic is 5 my software is 3 giving me 8. my desired submersion grade is 1 so all said and done its 8(9, 1Week) extended test

now i want my program to be something use full so i want to program a firewall at rating 7 (why not go for the best) now if i go to the Software Programming section in the same unwired book i see that programming a fire wall is (rating x 2, 3 months) extended test.

My question is how long will it take me to create the source code? do i have to create the fire wall program first then go through the process of making my source code. or do i just do the one of the tests?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 20 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

the source code written is not for a specific program, its the source code describing the existence of the TM...

its the TM equivalent of the thesis/masterpiece ordeal that a magican can perform during initiation...

so it will take as long as the extended test defines, a little over a month...

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Feb 20 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Unnamed Technomancer @ Feb 20 2009, 10:41 AM) *
I'm getting ready to do submerge for the first time and i want to do a Source Code Submersion task to get the price down. so i'm reading in unwired and i see the following

To shape this source code, the technomancer must perform a Logic + Software (8 + desired submersion grade, 1 week) Extended Test

so my logic is 5 my software is 3 giving me 8. my desired submersion grade is 1 so all said and done its 8(9, 1Week) extended test

now i want my program to be something use full so i want to program a firewall at rating 7 (why not go for the best) now if i go to the Software Programming section in the same unwired book i see that programming a fire wall is (rating x 2, 3 months) extended test.

My question is how long will it take me to create the source code? do i have to create the fire wall program first then go through the process of making my source code. or do i just do the one of the tests?

Because it is phrased as "source code" and not "program" I'd say that it isn't a normal program, ie, a functional piece of code. It doesn't follow the normal programming rules, nor the normal program intervals, and you're using your technomancer version of programming (akin to your threading), not a mundane Software skill.

I've always seen this as a 'non-useful' type of code. Something akin to the "Thesis/Masterpiece" ordeal for magicians. Like making a painting... it's beautiful, gorgeous, imbued with your Resonance... but does it do anything? No.

And besides, since you risk loosing your submersion grade if this masterpiece is destroyed, you really, really don't want it to be a firewall. Not only that, but you can't use it yourself. Are you going to hand over your firewall (which any technomancer/sprite can use to find you, at any time) to some mundane person? Keep it on a commlink you keep with you? Geez, what if your commlink is destroyed? Your GM has final call, of course. My GM would say that I could program something beautiful and non-useful (code only another technomancer could appreciate, that a normal programmer would look at and go WTF?), and then I'd hide it away so carefully no one could ever find it.

+Quote Post
Unnamed Technoma...
post Feb 20 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,131

the firewall program would be given to 2 mages that saved my life a few times, ok a bunch of times, and would be a deeply personal way of saying thank you and you have my trust.

i know that when a TM creates a program it runs just like the mundane counterpart but when it is de-compiled it will not look like a regular program.

thanks for the input.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Feb 20 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

I agree with the other posters; the Source Code ordeal has no in-game benefits aside from reducing the cost of submergence. It isn't a program in the sense of a Firewall or whatever.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Feb 20 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Feb 20 2009, 03:02 PM) *
code only another technomancer could appreciate, that a normal programmer would look at and go WTF?

All Technomancer code belongs on the daily WTF! This has made me appreciate technos in a totally new light. They are not to be envied, they are to be pitied.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.