Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glitches thought
WeaverMount
post Feb 23 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,309

I had a though on a new way to take glitches. Make them not into mistakes. Rather you introduce a new element into the scene. Glitch your negotiation roll to score a fix, and a Star car rolls by your alley really slow. Now, you and your contact have to figure out how you want to play it. Glitch an infiltration roll and The drones happen to be patrolling in where you need to go. Glitch a fire-arms check and the guards authorization to switch to AP rounds.

Glitches only complicate the scene, Critical Glitches complicate the story. Maybe that's when a contact find out you were seen talking to a rival faction asked what was going on. A personal enemy get's one step close to you. The law starts a crack down on some consumable you burn through etc.

Rampant Gremlins - I don't like guns when I use guns things get ... complicated.
Given that take on glitching you could then allow gremlin variants for any skill, maybe even require soon. Alternately you could allow varient gremlins not count against the flaw limit, but the BP can only go to skills. I see it as tool to give players a little control over how there characters get some spot light. If they heap gremlins on there primary pool critical glitches are unlikely, so it really just means that scenes where they are doing there thing become a little more interesting. If they put it on a secondary or tertiary skill that's critical glitches are more likely players have more interesting choice to make. Let's say that you're doing a major shopping before a big run. Of course the face goes and does there thing, but it becomes an interesting question about where or not it's worth it send the Shaman with negotiation gremlins out as well to pick up that extra something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Feb 23 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 10,024

I don't think that's a very good way of handling glitches since they are essentially mistakes that the players character makes and they shouldn't really be able to blame it on someone or something else. If Lone Star comes by during the botched negotiation it's because the character started shouting or swearing loudly, not just a whim of fate.

+Quote Post
Metapunk
post Feb 23 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,360

so in the case with the infiltration, he glitches his infiltration and INSTEAD of getting spotted, he gets another free chance to roll infiltration against two drones? if the drones were not there, why did he even roll infiltration?
I think if this rule is to be used, it is addition to normal glitch rules, and this is used in case the team really needs a helping hand. imo this is to "nice" a way to roll glithces and I wouldnt really care about glitches if they were like this.

Metapunk

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Feb 23 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

QUOTE (EvilP @ Feb 23 2009, 08:30 AM) *
I don't think that's a very good way of handling glitches since they are essentially mistakes that the players character makes and they shouldn't really be able to blame it on someone or something else. If Lone Star comes by during the botched negotiation it's because the character started shouting or swearing loudly, not just a whim of fate.

I'm reinterpreting glitches as something other than a player mistake, in an attempt to think up rules that help tell a better story.

so in the case with the infiltration, he glitches his infiltration and INSTEAD of getting spotted, he gets another free chance to roll infiltration against two drones? if the drones were not there, why did he even roll infiltration?
I think if this rule is to be used, it is addition to normal glitch rules, and this is used in case the team really needs a helping hand. imo this is to "nice" a way to roll glithces and I wouldnt really care about glitches if they were like this.

... Glitches aren't failures; Crit Glitches are.

+Quote Post
MatrixJargon
post Feb 23 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,041

To be honest, this is kind of a silly way to represent glitchs. Glitchs are essentially a representation of your haracter screwing up, the result of a one, just like we occasionally "roll ones" in real life. Giving them an avenue to blame it on an outside source, or rather changing the rule to be completely something it's not seems pointless and uncalled for to me.

The glitch rules are fine as is.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.