IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Current Edition of Earthdawn, Has anyone played?
Anythingforenoug...
post Mar 2 2009, 05:52 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,054

I have not played Earthdawn for years (not since it was first published), but I have good memories of the game. Has anyone played the current edition? With the anaversery this year for Shadowrun, it seems to me like a good time for some crossover story ideas between games.

Thanks,
AFE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Mar 2 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

The newest edition plays just like the first, cleaned up some language to close some loop holes mostly. It's more like 1st ed revised.

An while I there is an off topic post up, this looks like a pretty cool project

+Quote Post
Browncoatone
post Mar 2 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,733

Nah. I played a couple sessions of Earthdawn 1st ed, but it was just too much magic for my tastes.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Mar 2 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,265

the books correct many things
new scenarios are really good

overall redbrick does a terrific job!

+Quote Post
Sumo Neko
post Mar 2 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen @ Mar 2 2009, 12:52 AM) *
I have not played Earthdawn for years (not since it was first published), but I have good memories of the game. Has anyone played the current edition? With the anniversary this year for Shadowrun, it seems to me like a good time for some crossover story ideas between games.

Both Companies (Living Room Games & Red Brick) have putout some great products.

Red Brick has taken over 1st edition. They are going strong.

Living Room Games got the license to do second edition, and while it really was more of a revised edition, they really did clean up the system well, but there has been no movement in publishing or announcements in about 3 years after about 6 or so books published.

Unless Catalyst and Red Brick work together -- an official crossover won't happen. They are separate properties now who are licensed by 2 different companies.
Sort of like the haggling over making of the Aliens vs. Predator movies, and the 10 years that people tried to make the Freddy vs. Jason. vs. Michael Myers -- no one could ever agree on it.
The same happened for the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash -- but the writer decided to put it out in comic form, and has said that basically the comic series (6 issues) was the script which never got made.

But back to the original question -- yes the newer edition (Red Brick) is very good.

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Mar 5 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Earthdawn - all good, all the time.

New RedBrick Edition - absolutely brilliant, they really cleaned up a lot of stuff and have made it look so pretty. Yes, it is a more tidied up FASA 1st Edition and so closest to that original rules. Just a bugger to get hold of the books without a PC and internet accounts.

Living Room Games 2nd Edition - some nice new rules, but a lot of typos and some really unflattering artwork. Lots of differences in the rules, but still Earthdawn in the system and background. Following on from the Prelude to War campaign, the stroyline goes downhill IMHO. Pretty much left stranded and dead now due to LRG not publishing any new sourcebooks for several years. My advice, go with RedBrick they're still committed and have good editors.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Mar 5 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (Sumo Neko @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Unless Catalyst and Red Brick work together -- an official crossover won't happen. They are separate properties now who are licensed by 2 different companies.

Peter Taylor gave an interview during GenCon where he mentioned that Catalyst and Red Brick kept tabs on each other and they sound to be on friendly terms. While I'm not expecting a Shadowrun/Earthdawn crossover anytime soon, it doesn't sound like it's outside the realm of possibility either.

I've never cared one way or the other for Earthdawn but I'll admit to being intrigued by the idea.

Ah, speculation is so much fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Mar 5 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Check out Equinox by Red Brick. It is another game in the Earthdawn-Shadowrun time line that Red Brick will be releasing later this year. Set in the 8th world.

It uses a tweaked Earthdawn rule set, with I'm sure several things taken from the SR3 rule set. FASA was involved in the production of the game.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.