IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maximum Recoil, New topic on what should be a rule.
Diesel
post Jan 9 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,955

Austere Emancipator: In the maximum ROF thread, you talk about a system you designed to cap recoil at certain levels. Is this variable on the weapon class/caliber being fired, stance/posture, range/conditions, or a flat capping?

Anyone else: Do you have rules concerning recoil in your games or do you just stack on the modifiers for someone with an HVAR or Supermach fetish?

I'd really like to modify the recoil rules to put some sort of cap on them, at least for fully automatic weapons. Having recently fired an M249 SAW (not bad, not bad at all :D), the recoil will throw your aim off, for sure, but the difference between fifteen and thirty rounds is almost non-existent, as you adjust your aim to compensate. Granted, there isn't much reason for aimed, one hundred round bursts, but should my characters (or NPCs) decide to do such a thing, I'd like to limit it in a fashion somewhat consistent with reality. I'd also like to not work out any math, so that's why I'm asking here first.

Post away! And thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 9 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

The current rules may not be very true to real life. But I'm willing to stick with the rules as written so my players can more easily move between different GMs without getting confused.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 10 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Diesel)
Is this variable on the weapon class/caliber being fired, stance/posture, range/conditions, or a flat capping?

It's variable based on the Recoil Modifier value of the weapon, which is usually 1 (sometimes 2) for full-auto capable weapons. I haven't got flat recoil modifiers by weapon type, each weapon has it's own recoil mod. SMGs, ARs, LMGs and MMGs generally have a recoil mod of 1, which limits the total recoil to 7 at Short and Medium ranges, 10 at Long and Extreme. Battle rifles, HMGs and auto-capable shotguns generally have a recoil mod of 2, which limits the total recoil to 10 at Short and Medium, 13 at Long and Extreme.

I realize that a total recoil value of 7 is a bit low in a game where getting Recoil Compensation of 7 or more is relatively easy. This is not a problem in my games, where the only "Gas Vent" you can purchase for a ready weapon or modify it with is a muzzle brake, which provides 1 RC (and a sound suppressor usually provides the same), and there are no such things as Shock Pads or Underbarrel Weights or any other crap like that. No AR has RC higher than 4, and most MGs don't have RC over 6 even on a tripod.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Jan 11 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

I'm not even gonna get in on this one...*LOL*

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 11 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Yeah, if the only problem you have with a suggestion is that you don't personally want to change the rules in your game, then it's generally better not to comment.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.