IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snow, Mud, Water etc., And being knee deep in it.
IceKatze
post Mar 3 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,788

hi hi

I can't seem to find any rules for movement speed penalties and before I start making house rules I wanted to check and see if people know of any/have suggestions.

The motivation for this is that I am intending to subject my players to a scenario involving a foot or more of ash and snow. If you've ever tried to run in snow that is even remotely deep, you'll know it isn't easy, but the same goes for mud, waist deep water, toxic sludge and so on.

Do you think smaller characters (read dwarves) should be proportionately effected by such a barrier?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Mar 3 2009, 02:49 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

It depends on how concerned you are with game speed and how concerned you are with accuracy. But if I'm moving through knee-deep snow that happens to be waist-deep snow for another person, it's easy to tell that the person who it's waist-deep on is going to be moving a lot slower. So maybe the giant troll character should be moving at 3/4 of base speed, humans/ork/elves moving at 1/2 speed, and the dwarf moving at 1/4 speed.

And while I'm sure that moving through waist-deep toxic sludge would hamper your movement, I'd think that the movement penalties would be the least of your worries.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Mar 3 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Mar 2 2009, 10:49 PM) *
It depends on how concerned you are with game speed and how concerned you are with accuracy. But if I'm moving through knee-deep snow that happens to be waist-deep snow for another person, it's easy to tell that the person who it's waist-deep on is going to be moving a lot slower. So maybe the giant troll character should be moving at 3/4 of base speed, humans/ork/elves moving at 1/2 speed, and the dwarf moving at 1/4 speed.

Also, the movement rate table states walking/running speeds of:
Humans, elves, orks .............10/25
Dwarfs .................................8/20
Trolls ....................................15/35

A 50 percent reduction across the board. For example, in knee deep snow the modified rates would be:
Humans, elves, orks .............5/13 (rounded up)
Dwarfs .................................4/10
Trolls ....................................8/15 (rounded up)

However, under your 1/4 Dwarf restriction, movement speed would be 2/5, while Trolls would be hardly effected at all. fairness is up to interpretation. Trolls are by description (not illustration) huge, and anything a human got knee deep in, a dwarf would be up to his waist.

And while I'm sure that moving through waist-deep toxic sludge would hamper your movement, I'd think that the movement penalties would be the least of your worries.

If you were a shadowrunner going some-where you were likely to have to wade through toxic sludge, you'd probably bring yourself an armoured hazmat suit..

+Quote Post
IceKatze
post Mar 4 2009, 06:11 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,788

hi hi

That sounds about right. I certainly don't want to make my runners roll crash tests just for sprinting, wouldn't really do much good anyway since they wouldn't be going fast enough to take damage.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.