IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Matrix/Hacking Woes, I hate the matrix, I really do.
Degausser
post Mar 3 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,698

It's that time again, time for "I hate the matrix."

Okay, so on page 224 of the BBB, under "Things about Hacking all runners should know." It confuses me.

It says that anything with a wireless transceiver can be hacked. So, if someone is RIGHT next to you (Because your Gun's signal rating is 0), they can hack your gun even if you don't have a comlink (unless your gun's transceiver is turned off or removed.) Same with your cyber-leg (if wirelessly enabled) and whatnot. Not a big deal because if someone is right next to you and hacking you can whollop them or shoot them with little trouble.

Okay, got that.

But then it says that PANs are stupid to have on a run. It mentions that anyone with a PAN can be hacked. So runners who have their comlink set to HIDDEN, and only allow their teammates' devices to connect (for subvocal chatting) along with their gun and shades, are still super-vulerable to hackers unless they have a super mac-daddy pimped out comlink like the hacker. Really? Does the street shaman need the top of the link super-wiz comlink equipped with black IC to go on runs? It's enough to make one go out and buy some cables to direct-connect one's comlink to one's datajack and gun, then turn off their wireless . . . but that STILL doesn't let you talk to your teammates!

Another question I have regards interacting with AR if you don't have a datajack. Now, I may be wrong, but I assumed that a Datajack and a comlink will let you mentally manipulate AR and will also let you slip into VR (but not run hotsim mode unless you paid to mod your comlink.) But what about Mages and Adepts and the few others who don't have datajacks? What are they stuck doing? Do they have to go out, buy AR gloves, Image Link glasses, and electronic paper (for a keyboard) in order to interact? Seems somewhat expensive and very limiting. I was under the impression that trodes and the paint-on-trodes would function like a poor-man's datajack, but according to the book, all they let you do is experience simsense. Seems to me that, for a world that is very heavily dependent on the matrix, there should be some way for non-datajack equipped people to talk to their comlinks outside of waving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) 250 AR Gloves around like a dufus.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 3 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (Degausser @ Mar 3 2009, 03:38 PM) *
It's that time again, time for "I hate the matrix."
It says that anything with a wireless transceiver can be hacked. So, if someone is RIGHT next to you (Because your Gun's signal rating is 0), they can hack your gun even if you don't have a comlink (unless your gun's transceiver is turned off or removed.) Same with your cyber-leg (if wirelessly enabled) and whatnot. Not a big deal because if someone is right next to you and hacking you can whollop them or shoot them with little trouble.

But then it says that PANs are stupid to have on a run. It mentions that anyone with a PAN can be hacked. So runners who have their comlink set to HIDDEN, and only allow their teammates' devices to connect (for subvocal chatting) along with their gun and shades, are still super-vulerable to hackers unless they have a super mac-daddy pimped out comlink like the hacker. Really? Does the street shaman need the top of the link super-wiz comlink equipped with black IC to go on runs? It's enough to make one go out and buy some cables to direct-connect one's comlink to one's datajack and gun, then turn off their wireless . . . but that STILL doesn't let you talk to your teammates!

Another question I have regards interacting with AR if you don't have a datajack. Now, I may be wrong, but I assumed that a Datajack and a comlink will let you mentally manipulate AR and will also let you slip into VR (but not run hotsim mode unless you paid to mod your comlink.) But what about Mages and Adepts and the few others who don't have datajacks? What are they stuck doing? Do they have to go out, buy AR gloves, Image Link glasses, and electronic paper (for a keyboard) in order to interact? Seems somewhat expensive and very limiting. I was under the impression that trodes and the paint-on-trodes would function like a poor-man's datajack, but according to the book, all they let you do is experience simsense. Seems to me that, for a world that is very heavily dependent on the matrix, there should be some way for non-datajack equipped people to talk to their comlinks outside of waving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) 250 AR Gloves around like a dufus.

Let me address some of your concerns:
1. Can everything be hacked, yes. Will it be hacked, probably not. If you have an evil GM then yes you should buy a top of the line comlink. But a regular comlink in an average office building with average security will not have a hacker on hand to disrupt your LAN between your PCs (especially if the links are set to hidden).
2. Who says that AR Gloves are ugly looking devices. I would expect them to be a skin tight glove with embedded electronics that would come in a wide range of styles (I'm sure there is even an "Apple" version of the gloves). As for viewing AR, you could have a wide range of image linked glasses to do that (and then use trods to access the matrix). Again I'm sure there is an "Apple" version of trods and image linked glasses.

People today spend $500+ for an iPhone/Blackberry/Generic Smartphone. How is that any different then someone with AR Gloves, a comlink, and image linked glasses in Shadowrun? I imagine that only IT proffessionals, gamer crazed teens, and office wage slaves would be the only ones that would get a datajack. I don't expect a exec to get one, nor any eco friendly person, nor many magic users.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 3 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

The reason most devices aren't hacked during combat is that it takes too long. Getting in without alerts is an hour long extended test. Hacking on the fly is faster, but still remarkably slow for combat (at 1 complex action the rigger hacks A gun, woo).

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 3 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #4

Running Target

As you pointed out you need to be close to enabled devices to hack them if the comlink is turned off. Plus you can effectively thwart a hacker by turning off your comlink (thus severing his/her connection to your device). That doesn't prevent any damage they have done so far but it will prevent further damage.

+Quote Post
Degausser
post Mar 3 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 3 2009, 05:00 PM) *
The reason most devices aren't hacked during combat is that it takes too long. Getting in without alerts is an hour long extended test. Hacking on the fly is faster, but still remarkably slow for combat (at 1 complex action the rigger hacks A gun, woo).

Yeah, one complex action and the hacker turns off the Troll's minigun. Yeah THAT'S not major at all . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

The heart of the problem remains, will hackers (assuming their not engaged in combat) be able to hack some Hidden Comlinks that are only communicating with each other? Parts of the book seem to point toward 'No.' (The description of HIDDEN says that it is virtually impossible to detect comlinks in this state, as they don't show up on NODE searches). But under the sidebar, the running theory seems to be "BUY THE BEST COMLINK BUY IC, BUY RATING 6 FIREWALLS, BUY EVERYTHING!!!!" Just confused on which is which and what I should be realistically throwing at my players.

2. Who says that AR Gloves are ugly looking devices. I would expect them to be a skin tight glove with embedded electronics that would come in a wide range of styles (I'm sure there is even an "Apple" version of the gloves). As for viewing AR, you could have a wide range of image linked glasses to do that (and then use trods to access the matrix). Again I'm sure there is an "Apple" version of trods and image linked glasses.

I more meant that you would look like a dufus moving your hands around while nothing was in front of you, but I guess that kind of behavior wouldn't be too weird if AR gloves were common, now that I think about it.

I more meant that, it would be a pain to try and do stuff with your comlink if you couldn't issue mental commands. Sure, you could look cool doing impressions of the control Center in 'Minority report' but on a run, if you need to wave your arms around every time you want to subvocally message your friends, that could be pretty darn annoying. I was just wondering if there was something out there that could let mages manipulate their comlinks as easy as people with Datajacks. Seems to me there would be a big market for that.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 3 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Running Target

@Degausser

As a GM I would assume that if you open a comlink program for continuous communication you would keep it open. ie no need to keep waving your hand around to send messages.

If you and your group are so worried about hacked communications why don't you find the price for standard walkie talkies and use those.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 3 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Degausser @ Mar 3 2009, 05:30 PM) *
I was just wondering if there was something out there that could let mages manipulate their comlinks as easy as people with Datajacks. Seems to me there would be a big market for that.

Trodes. Even comes as face paint so you can unleash your inner artist. Read the electronic gear section, it's in there.

+Quote Post
Degausser
post Mar 3 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Backgammon @ Mar 3 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Trodes. Even comes as face paint so you can unleash your inner artist. Read the electronic gear section, it's in there.

Read my first post. Trodes (according to the BBB) only let people experience SimSense, so that Mages can be chipheads as well.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 3 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

You also need a Sim Module . the Sim module is the thingamagic that does the ASIST interfacing.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Mar 4 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

You can get AR through ASIST. It's in the core somewhere that most people use a SIM module for their daily AR needs.

+Quote Post
TheForgotten
post Mar 4 2009, 12:31 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,888

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Mar 3 2009, 10:03 PM) *
As you pointed out you need to be close to enabled devices to hack them if the comlink is turned off. Plus you can effectively thwart a hacker by turning off your comlink (thus severing his/her connection to your device). That doesn't prevent any damage they have done so far but it will prevent further damage.

Or you could use a retransmitter mini/micro drone. What I haven't figured out yet, is what keeps the buildings security system from picking up active wireless on a character. Seems like the best thing would be to turn OFF all wireless links. (Though this is based on the real life observation that a signal can be detected at far greater then its useful distance with the right equipment).

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Mar 4 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,861

Network security can be a headache for any runner team. So my group has any wireless devices or cyberware slaved to their personal comlink and their comlinks slaved to the Hackers comlink and they all run hidden.. This way any attempt to interface with any devices will be directed back to the Hackers comlink which is beefed up with a fat firewall and running an Agent with analyze so any attempt to hack will probabbly get noticed if the Hacker does not see it coming first.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
Post #13

Moving Target

Network security can be a headache for any runner team. So my group has any wireless devices or cyberware slaved to their personal comlink and their comlinks slaved to the Hackers comlink and they all run hidden.. This way any attempt to interface with any devices will be directed back to the Hackers comlink which is beefed up with a fat firewall and running an Agent with analyze so any attempt to hack will probabbly get noticed if the Hacker does not see it coming first.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
Post #14

Moving Target

Sorry About the multiple posts.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 4 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #15

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

one option is to turn of the wireless on the comlink, run the pan via skinlink, and use that old two way tranceiver found in the gear section...

here is one option tho, run the team com via laser or microwave link (unwired, p199)...

a bit like 21. century hand signals (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
The Monk
post Mar 4 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,593

Depends on what type of character you're playing. If your character is a weekend warrior recreation marksman that decided to try a life of crime, he may not be savvy enough to know that PAN security should be a high priority. If you're playing an experienced runner with a background is special ops then yes you are going to want some security for your wireless gear.

+Quote Post
Red-ROM
post Mar 4 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,787

I have been lead to believe that slaving a node eats 2 subscription slots. is that true? and how does that factor into the "slave everything to the hacker" tactic?

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Mar 4 2009, 01:28 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Subscriptions are determined by your Systemx 2 so even a group of 6 runners could slave to a single com with a system of 6. I tis not a sure fire way to protect yourself when you need to split up or are doing leg work on your own. But slaving your own cyber and wireless devices to your comlimk will help slow down an attempt to hack your implants. And if your Hacker can run an independant agent of his on your comm then it can alert you to any attempts to hack your gear giving you time to shut down or deactivate wirelss capabilities.

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post Mar 4 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

QUOTE (Degausser @ Mar 3 2009, 05:30 PM) *
Yeah, one complex action and the hacker turns off the Troll's minigun. Yeah THAT'S not major at all . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

No, one complex action (or two, if the link has a good firewall) and the hacker has access to your commlink. Then he can figure out what's connected to it, disconnect one device, or start hacking one of the devices slaved to it, each requiring another action. By now, the troll's minigun has turned the rest of his squad into swiss cheese, so who cares if he turns it off (which will cost the troll one simple action to undo)?

As for the trodes thing, VR is interactive. Trodes allow VR. Trodes are therefore an input/output device, not just output.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Mar 4 2009, 02:17 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

QUOTE (Degausser @ Mar 3 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Read my first post. Trodes (according to the BBB) only let people experience SimSense, so that Mages can be chipheads as well.

Trodes provide a full two way DNI. Unwired p42

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Mar 3 2009, 08:31 PM) *
No, one complex action (or two, if the link has a good firewall) and the hacker has access to your commlink. Then he can figure out what's connected to it, disconnect one device, or start hacking one of the devices slaved to it, each requiring another action. By now, the troll's minigun has turned the rest of his squad into swiss cheese, so who cares if he turns it off (which will cost the troll one simple action to undo)?

I've always told people, "yes, you can hack a guy's cyberware, but there are far more effective things to do in the middle of combat than make that guy's arm-shotgun not work."

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Mar 4 2009, 03:50 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Just to note, to hack a signal 0 device, you don't have to be standing right next to the target. If there is any wireless device within Signal 0 range, such as a vending machine, drone, lightbulb, security camera etc. you can use those to relay the signals, bringing you within signal range.

+Quote Post
counterveil
post Mar 4 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 4,720

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 4 2009, 03:35 AM) *
I've always told people, "yes, you can hack a guy's cyberware, but there are far more effective things to do in the middle of combat than make that guy's arm-shotgun not work."

Very very true. The only time I see usefulness in hacking an individual's cyberware is in a scenario in which the players have ample time to prepare. In a scenario involving well-armed security guards, you could pre-hack their gear, maintain a live User connection to said gear, and when the run goes down you disable everything. It might buy the team a few Simple Actions worth of guards readjusting to try to gain access back to their equipment.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 4 2009, 05:50 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

In the unlikely event, it could be done.
But for the most people who come up with the brilliant plan to either
a) hack cyberware
or
b) prevent their cyberware from being hacked
I tell them not to bother.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 4 2009, 06:24 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Quick question for everyone: I know having a rating 6 firewall is a must, but what about Encrypt? If you have a rating 6 Encrypt program encrypting everything on your PAN, won't that slow down an enemy hacker as well? I mean wouldn't he need to hack through your firewall first and then decrypt everything. Or it the other way around?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.