IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone Targeting, Active targeting for autonomous drones...
mercurywave
post Mar 5 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,931

I'm having a bit of an issue with the rules of drone active targeting on pg 162.

As I read it active targeting is a single action. If a rigger gains an initiative larger than his/her drones then can he actively target using Sensor+Perception Test for two drones on his/her initiative? Under the Active Targeting it says that the modifier can be used for the subsequent Gunnery Test, which just to the left of the page I suppose includes drones gunnery test of pilot+targeting. Lastly nothing I have found states that the rigger has to be jumped-in or RCing the drone to use Active Targeting. So, could he/she lock target for their autonomously acting drones in one IP, without taking initiatives away from their drones?

Well... whatcha think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Night Jackal
post Mar 5 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,789

I would say no since you are using the processing power (ie activating the Sensors) of the drone to lock on a target. So it would use the drones IP up since the drone could not do 2 Initiative passes in one pass.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Mar 5 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

I'd rule that the drone dog brain has to spend its' own actions to Active Target unless the rigger is controlling the drone. If the rigger is controlling the drone, then the drone gets its' initiative reset to the rigger's anyway, alleviating the problem.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 5 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (DWC @ Mar 5 2009, 07:50 AM) *
I'd rule that the drone dog brain has to spend its' own actions to Active Target unless the rigger is controlling the drone. If the rigger is controlling the drone, then the drone gets its' initiative reset to the rigger's anyway, alleviating the problem.

I would agree with DWC. I think the point of active targeting is that the rigger is actively controlling the drone to manually select targets.

+Quote Post
mercurywave
post Mar 5 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Target

As from your view the rigger would have to spend a turn jumped for each drone to get an active targeting. Afterward it would still apply towards the drone's attacks in subsequent IPs?

Than again, aren't the drone's sensors running at all times, the cams are viewing the area, as well as the other sensors allowing processing of the environment. Wouldn't Active Targeting be like a Command, 'to fire on this target'. Issuing a Command doesn't take away from the drone's IP, it still needs to process what your wanting it to do in its dog brain, wouldn't Active Targeting be about the same?

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Mar 5 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

It's all about where the Sensor data is actually going. Yes, a Drone's sensors are running all the time that is what the book refers to as "Passive." When the Rigger himself, via "jumping in" or via "remote control" makes an Active Targeting test, the sensor data is being relayed from the Drone to the Rigger's Commlink. It is the Rigger's systems that are directly benefiting from the sensor "lock" data. When the Drone is acting autonomously, it is not benefiting from that data because it is being passed on to the Rigger. The Drone's Pilot program would need to makes its own test in order to start receiving the Sensor data from the Active Targeting.

+Quote Post
mercurywave
post Mar 5 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #7

Target

Swee,t thanks, think that clears it up for me Malachi. After a rigger jumps out of the drone, it would go back to passive targeting, in which can be accomplished in the same IP as it fires. So...Active=rigger controlled / Passive=drone conntrolled. No crossover. thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Night Jackal
post Mar 5 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Target

Pilot can Active or Passive target as well. Active is not just limited to Rigger.

The pilot can lock on a target just like a person can. It selects it target highlights it and follows it. That's Active mode, it calculates vectors and antipactes the targets location while firing.

Passive mode is like a "running" gun fight your shooting at is current location and only slightly adjusting for possible movements.

Your question is simply answered below (Assume you or your drone has seen the target):

The rigger can issue command (simple action on Riggers IP) to the drone to active target and shoot person/thing, Drone takes follow action on its initiative:

Simple action Sensor test Rolling (Sensor + Clearsoft - Signature modifier) = Net hits added to attacks till target evades sensors (attempts to hide from drone resulting in a sensor roll to see him again)
If it can fire a short burst or another simple action attack it can attack that IP as well with additional dice.

The Rigger takes command and remote controls the the drone or jumps in (On Riggers IP):

Simple action Sensor test Rolling (Sensor + Perception - Signature modifier) = Net hits added to attacks till target evades sensors (attempts to hide from drone resulting in a sensor roll to see him again)
If it can fire a short burst or another simple action attack it can attack that IP as well with additional dice.

Alternative is the Rigger can do the simple action with Controls or Jumped in to target and then jump out and let the dog brain contunie the attack...think its simplier to just do it yourself or let the dog brain work it.

+Quote Post
Dreadlord
post Mar 5 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,959

"If it can fire a short burst or another simple action attack it can attack that IP as well with additional dice."

I thought all vehicle mounted weapons required a Complex Action to fire?

+Quote Post
Night Jackal
post Mar 5 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Target

Per RAW page 162 of main Shadowrun book under Gunnery
CODE
"The rules for ranged combat apply to vehicle-mounted weapons. The action required for shooting weapons depends on the mode fired, same as with normal firearms, but in almost all cases vehicle weapons require a Complex Action to fire."

The last part refers to Vehicle weapons such as Auto cannons and missile launchers. Took a bit for me to realize that till I notice Arsenal has Vehicle weapons in the Vehicle section and not in normal firearms sections. All of them require a Complex. A weapon with SS, SA and FA can use all the burst rules with simple actions.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.