Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Low power character build help.
Doctrine
post Mar 10 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,752

Ok so I recently started up SR4 again after not playing since release and i hadn't played before that since SR2. So i decided I really wanted to try a technomancer since they seemed interesting, but the problem i'm running into is my GM wants us to build 300 BP runners and i have no clue how to build a technomancer in the first place. Now after all the building and rebuilding ive been doing i haven't been able to come up with technomancer thats worth a damn. It just always feels like i never have enough points to build a working concept that isn't too specialized or a complete generalist. I was hoping to maybe get some insight here, or alternatively get confirmation that a 300 BP technomancer blows.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Mar 10 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

For the record, technomancers are near impossible under 400 BP. Thanks to 750 Karmagen, Technomancers are now much better(read: on the level with other, normal, 400 BP characters, even though 750 Karma is more than that.)

IMO...play a hacker. I mean, I know technos sound cool, but unless someone here has come up with something, this is going to be a very, very rough road.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Mar 10 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

It's low power. Create a 'mancer who is freshly awakened and totally green when it comes to the matrix. Work out what he did before his Emergence and shape his skills and attributes accordingly and think how his technomantic abilities could enhance that.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Mar 10 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

same Oppinion here
Technomancer with only 300 BP suck
Play a hacker

with a short dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Mar 10 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

"Runners" is a very true name within 300 BP. I would strongly suggest to not even really take a speciality in the 400 BP sense. Cover the bases (decent attribute spread fitting for where you want to go, low gear, core augmentations...).

You can become a TM later by buying "Latent TM" for 5 BP. Grow into it, it might be a great RP experience.

+Quote Post
Wombat
post Mar 10 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,883

I agree with GreyBrother on the character background. I've run a 300 BP game before and have had a thread of mine reviled for being so restrictive and low-powered. Thing is though, that your GM is running a low-powered game, and thus is not likely to throw powerful challenges at the team. You'll have to rely more on wit and reason than your character sheet. Think of the person you were before you Emerged. Sure, you may never be as powerful as a standard Technomancer, but that obviously isn't the point behind your game, since the GM is running it at 300 BP. Were you an administrative wageslave? Maybe a Utilities repairman? Perhaps even a Lone Star Beat Cop? Have fun with the concept and you'll find a very rewarding character regardless of how much power you don't have.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Mar 10 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

I recently built a 200BP Technomancer for a friend to play in our "street punks" game. It was tough.

Some notes:
1. Your not going to have much outside the three skill groups you need as a technomancer.
2. Consider not taking any complex forms.
3. Its really useful to abuse sprites at this level. Not use, abuse.
4. If you have Unwired consider playing an Elf technoshaman. Charisma for Fading, Sprites and future potential.
5. If you have Unwired consider taking a paragon. Black Hat is pretty darn spiffy at 200 points.

+Quote Post
Doctrine
post Mar 10 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #8

Target

Thanks for all the input folks i think i may have found a TM build that might be playable with a little luck until a can get gear in game. This is the best i can come up with but i may scrap it for a hacker... although the latent awakening idea might be an option though.

Metatype: Human

Strength 1/6 0
Body 3/6 20
Agility 1/6 0
Reaction 2/6 10
Charisma 4/6 30
Willpower 4/6 30
Intuition 4/6 30
Logic 5/6 40
Resonance 5/6 40
Edge 2/7 0
Total 200

Qualities
More Than Metahuman 5
Technomancer 5
Paragon 5
Vindictive -10
Combat Paralysis -20
Sensitive System -15
SINner -5
Total -35

Skills
Cracking 4 40
Tasking 4 40
Electronics 4 40
Perception 3 12
Total 132

297 BP

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Mar 10 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Combat Paralysis is nasty since it applies to matrix combat as well as physical.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Mar 10 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Doctrine @ Mar 10 2009, 10:35 AM) *
Qualities
More Than Metahuman 5
Technomancer 5
Paragon 5
Vindictive -10
Combat Paralysis -20
Sensitive System -15
SINner -5
Total -35

I am stuck at work so I may have this wrong. But I recall being only to take (-)35 in Negative Qualities. But I am working and most of my mind is elsewhere.

+Quote Post
Doctrine
post Mar 10 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 10 2009, 11:48 AM) *
I am stuck at work so I may have this wrong. But I recall being only to take (-)35 in Negative Qualities. But I am working and most of my mind is elsewhere.

Oh Crap. Thats right! guess my mind was elsewhere, i usually make lists of the qualities i might take, then cut it down. Guess i wasn't paying enough attention....

Here we go, i dropped reaction (oh god i hope i get some good armor or a good drone or something...) dropped combat paralysis and perception by a rank.

Metatype: Human

Strength 1/6 0
Body 3/6 20
Agility 1/6 0
Reaction 1/6 0
Charisma 4/6 30
Willpower 4/6 30
Intuition 4/6 30
Logic 5/6 40
Resonance 5/6 40
Edge 2/7 0
Total 190

Qualities
More Than Metahuman 5
Technomancer 5
Paragon 5
Vindictive -10
Sensitive System -15
Enemy 3/2 -5
SINner -5
Total -20

Skills
Cracking 4 40
Tasking 4 40
Electronics 4 40
Perception 2 8
Total 128

298 BP

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 10 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 10 2009, 12:48 PM) *

No your right. There is a cap on both positive and negative qualities at 35.

+Quote Post
Wombat
post Mar 10 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,883

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Mar 10 2009, 11:02 AM) *
No your right. There is a cap on both positive and negative qualities at 35.

Though you're free to take more negative qualities, but you just don't get the points for them. Lol!

+Quote Post
chic sheik
post Mar 11 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 16,008

I would drop the More than Metahuman quality. You do not have any vehicle-related skills, so you won't get much mileage out of it. Also, it is hard enough to fulfill multiple roles with a techno when playing wih 400 bp, let alone only 300 bp. I would just focus on hacking to start if I were you. As the character grows, you can add drone capability if you want do so.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Mar 11 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

don't know your GMs rules but in a 300 point game 150 points may be the cap for attributes. Even if tis not I'd consider losing 40+points in attributes. Skills are expensive to improve with karma, attributes are cheap.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Mar 11 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

I agree, lose some attributes. In a low power game, having threaded ratings of 3 or so should be good for most things. You won't be cracking Zurich Orbital, but you shouldn't have to in a low power game. One thing we bring up in our game with a technomancer is that you have the advantage of sprites and eventually with a resonance of 4 or more you can theoretically thread any complex form better than most hackers will have it. I recommend NOT having a reaction of 1, just in case you find yourself in a combat situation, you will be tagged every time. Having such a low body limits the kind of armor you can wear as well. Honestly, a pack of devil rats might be a nightmare for you. Make yourself survivable and use the karma you earn to make yourself a more effective technomancer. When your team has to absolutely rely on your abilities, try to go low and slow, using your abilities to boost your Stealth and Exploit forms. At sufficiently high enough ratings you can do pretty much what you want as long as you don't go crazy and attract any spiders..
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

+Quote Post
Doctrine
post Mar 11 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #17

Target

Thanks for all the input everyone i think i finally have something that is close to what i want to play i just have one last question. Since i have never made a TM before which skill group is least important: Tasking (i doubt this), Electronics or Cracking?

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Mar 11 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Electronics !
(and he can have 150 BP in attributes + 40 in Resonance. thats OK,but when I see the Char I remember ,why I don't like to play Mages or TMS in a LowPow Campaign ! )

JahtaHey
Medicineman

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Mar 11 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

Depends. I'd actually like to have a higher Electronics group, since my TM calls dibs on Adminaccounts if he gets entry into a node and doesn't need to force to system to do his biddings.

You are quite low powered, that's right. So i really don't know... get the Compiling skill from Tasking and let it be with that. But then you can't register, which is a greater boon... hmmm
Damn hard. But after i looked through the skills in electronics, you should just get Software and Computer and be good with that.
Rely on Sprites and threading, spoof your way in a node instead of hacking in and show some wits. Then you're fine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.