IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horizon, We Know What You're Thinking.
Kanada Ten
post Mar 11 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (Ars Technica)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Mar 11 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

Its for our own good,really, and I see it as a wonderful way bring information to people who might miss something useful and helpful while browsing the internet. By focusing on a customers interests, it can save time and energy by cutting out a lot of the redundant and non-related content and allow the customer to use the time saved on activities such as family or leisure time. All in all, Horiz....er, Google is once again showing that it is a company that really does care about its customers, not as a source of income but as real people with real concerns. Thank you, Google, for making life a little simpler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 11 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I don't mind Google knowing everything about me (including when I had my last BM), as long as they use the info to make my life easier. I get "spam" in my GMail all the time but since it shows me stuff that I'm more then likely going to buy I don't mark it as spam and in some cases I do look at the products. It's only spam if you don't want it.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 11 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

The point of advertising is to create want. With the ability to directly see what ads inspire want in a specific person, Google Horizon will be able to create adaptive advertising agents which will inspire desire for products you didn't know you wanted.

(edit) I'd like to point that this is exactly how good Google is at advertising - they've already sold you on the service of selling you ads.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Mar 11 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

I have worked in retail and one thing I couldn't get through to my co-workers was that if you get the product into the customers hand, it becomes"Theirs". On a subconscious level, once the product is touched, it becomes a possession and the customer is much more likely to purchase.

Google is taking things to the next level and not only putting the produce in you hands,per se, but knowing before hand that you prefer blue shirts and socks with"hello kitty" embroidered on them.

I would like to know if opting out means they don't keep track of you, or if they just don't show you they are keeping track of you. Not targeting ads at me but still gathering my info. is a possibility I don't feel comfortable with.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Mar 11 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

I find this whole thing really strange. Companies have been gathering this information for years. All Google is doing is being up front about it. You shouldn't need to opt out of anything, just clear your cache, cookies, etc. before you close your browser or don't use Google. But I suppose the opt-out function is for the less tech savvy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.