IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fun with Free/Ally Spirits!, Inhabitation Greatness and More!
Neraph
post Nov 23 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #76

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,387

Additional Information

In Running Wild, page 174, they have added very interesting rules for calling free/wild spirits and gaining favors from them, similar to summoning and binding (in that you can cause a spirit to appear and gain a number of favors from said spirit), under the Calling and Offering section.

The following is a condensed section of pertinent rules:
[ Spoiler ]

Applicable Result/Guide

After completing an Occult Knowledge Test, you gain the information to Call a special type of spirit, with the powers listed above. You either craft yourself or have a contact craft for you the paraphernalia required to Call the spirit at Force 1 (two radical animal blood reagents, availability 8, 400 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) total) and preparing a chosen weapon as a Prepared Vessel (one radical animal blood reagent, availability 8, 200 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ). After successfully Calling the spirit, you bargain with it for the express reason of Inhabiting the weapon, using its powers (or powers it will gain) to keep you alive, and you will feed it with the life energy of your enemies; ie: "I know that spirits such as yourself are obsessed with power. I have a great amount of martial prowess. In return for you using your abilities to keep me alive, I will guarantee that you will feast on the souls of my enemies, adding their power to your own."

With their 2 dicepool against your Charisma + Negotiation (+ all those extra bonuses we all know and love), you will win.

The spirit (an apparent variant of a blood spirit) at Force 1 cannot gain a True Form Inhabitation Merge, as he cannot exceed the Object Resistance of the weapon you have chosen. This will result in either a Hybrid Form Inhabitation Merge (which is most desirable), or likely a Flesh Form Inhabitation Merge, causing the weapon to become Dual-Natured (now dangerous against those pesky astral forms) and much harder (Immunity [Normal Weapons]), among other things. Please note that this must take place inside a magical lodge with a Force equal or higher than that of the spirit, in this case, 1. Also, the only forseeable problem is that of the spirit in question Critically glitching on the Inhabitation check; this can be fixed with the spirit initially having the Guard power active on itself.

I present to you: Bloodmourne.

Alternatively (and more expensively), you can follow this same preceedure to similarly "enchant" barbed arrows (or bolts). As the arrow is stuck in the enemy, the spirit within begins to deal additional "DoT" (Damamge over Time) damage to him, gaining 1 point of karma per point of physical damage dealt (as per Energy Drain [Karma]). If the enemy wants to stop this, he must remove the barbed arrow.

I present to you: the Blooddrinker Arrows (I brainstormed these with Ragewind, and he insists they should be named Souldrinker Arrows, but as I'm posting this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif) ).

A 1-Up for Blooddrinker Arrows would be using Injection Arrows as the base arrow, and remember to include a dose of Slab. As they lie there for at least an hour due to the Slab drug, your Bolt-Buddy finishes killing them to suck the karma out of their blood.

In all cases, the Bloodmourne™ system of Dual-Natured weapons manufacturing creates an extremely flexible system of creating a smart-weapon capable of aiding its wielder immensely (and possibly similarly to using mooks for hacking), and it only gets better over time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 23 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #77

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Neraph, just wait until said spirit decides that *YOU* are it's next meal... because its power grew more than yours.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 23 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #78

Great Dragon

QUOTE (darthmord @ Nov 23 2009, 07:46 AM) *
Neraph, just wait until said spirit decides that *YOU* are it's next meal... because its power grew more than yours.

That's simply an attempt to undermine this proceedure. Albeit an actual danger, that's what Negotiation is for, and, failing that, Mind Control (for the mages).

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 23 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #79

Running Target

Not aiming to undermine you. It's a great idea IMO. I was just bringing up a major potential drawback to the idea.

Just be careful that you aren't creating your own Frankenstein monster. Oh wait, they already did that with Cybermancy.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Nov 23 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #80

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

A Force 1 spirit is disrupted as soon as it enters a Background count, isn't he? You might need to beef it up a bit.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 23 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #81

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Traul @ Nov 23 2009, 04:33 PM) *
A Force 1 spirit is disrupted as soon as it enters a Background count, isn't he? You might need to beef it up a bit.

You definately could. In fact, with the above method, you'd be able to Call as many spirits of this type as you want, for like 400 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) per point of Force. The thing is, a Force 1 would definately lose the opposed Negotiation Test, and he'd end up being more willing to not eat you too, as darthmord pointed out.

Also, the "eat you" part only applies with a range of Touch. The first time it deals 1 point of P damage to you, you drop it and threaten to chain it to a rock and throw it in the harbor if it does it again. That should be the end of that.

EDIT: It gains karma at the rate of 1 karma per point of Physical damage it deals to someone, with a certain Test. The answer is either capturing people on runs you do (not neccessarily the best answer) or going to Z-zones or feral cities, and optimally tieing someone down and laying the blade on them so the blade can get the most "mileage" out of your "donor." One would be interested to figure out how much damage, say, an average-statted Troll could heal each day and capturing one (or buying a full-body clone for like 25,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) ) and having a personal "Karma Battery™" for your Bloodmourne.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 24 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #82

Running Target

If' it's 1 Karma / point of damage, tie the weapon to a regenerating creature such that the weapon is damaging the creature. Creature regens and takes damage again. Very quickly, the weapon becomes more powerful than you can imagine.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 24 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #83

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

How exactly are you going to be offering up the Karma of your victims? Energy Drain requires an Extended Test with an interval of 1 minute, and the enemies are going to know it's happening. Considering most fights don't last nearly that long (20 Combat Turns), and when it ends they're either dead or running away, I just don't see how you could live up to that bargain.

It's even worse if you stick with the Force 1 spirit as they won't be able to make the Extended Test (Willpower + Magic = 2 dice) without multiple glitches and repeated failures. And with the threshold being (10-Essence), you're going to have to stand around for an awful long time trying to fulfill it. Nevermind the evil connotations of offering up someone else's Karma, let alone actually doing it the only way you could (by capturing and tortuing people).

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 24 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #84

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 24 2009, 08:26 AM) *
How exactly are you going to be offering up the Karma of your victims? Energy Drain requires an Extended Test with an interval of 1 minute, and the enemies are going to know it's happening. Considering most fights don't last nearly that long (20 Combat Turns), and when it ends they're either dead or running away, I just don't see how you could live up to that bargain.

It's even worse if you stick with the Force 1 spirit as they won't be able to make the Extended Test (Willpower + Magic = 2 dice) without multiple glitches and repeated failures. And with the threshold being (10-Essence), you're going to have to stand around for an awful long time trying to fulfill it. Nevermind the evil connotations of offering up someone else's Karma, let alone actually doing it the only way you could (by capturing and tortuing people).

Pretty easily. Slab them, tie them up, knock them unconscious; restrain them in any way. Since they very well might be tagged and have biomonitors, hunting amongst the SINless would be a far better approach, unless you want to locate tags and destroy them before hand.

Besides, if you take a vanilla metahuman (unaugmented), it's only a Magic + Willpower [2] (10 - Essence [4], 1 Minute) Test, which can be done in (optimally) only 2 minutes - 1 if the spirit spends his one point of Edge. Granted, that only gets him the 1P damage/1 karma drain, but it's entirely feasible to do.

Grab a vanilla human, Slab him (he's down for 7 hours), restrain him, and put the blade on him, and before the Slab wears off the human is dead and the spirit is 13 karma stronger. Now he's a F2 spirit, and able to continue the process much faster, being now able to buy 1 success each test.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 24 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #85

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

So you need to play a serial killer to do it. Less "enemies" and more "innocent victims." Okay, I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 24 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #86

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 24 2009, 03:33 PM) *
So you need to play a serial killer to do it. Less "enemies" and more "innocent victims." Okay, I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh no, you could totally do it using your enemies - it would just require you to thoroughly clean your enemies before feeding them to your Bloodmourne.

Allthough it is faster and easier with bums on the street...

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 25 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #87

Running Target

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 24 2009, 04:33 PM) *

I personally have no qualms with a character playing the part of a serial killer.

Every action has a consequence; for good or for ill, there is always a consequence.

Though I might have to take this idea and run with it in a SR4 game I'm running.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 25 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #88

Great Dragon

NOTE: The blade can also betray it's master. This would be an interesting turn of events where the blade (really it can be any weapon, but I always envision a sword) starts using its powers against its maker (an NPC) to try and fall into the hands (no pun intended) of the PCs.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Nov 25 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #89

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I think I'd go with an ice pick. Nicely anachronistic in 2070 but less ritualized than an actual sword.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 26 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #90

Great Dragon

I've been starting to favor the idea of a Cyberspur. Especially for the non-Awakened.

EDIT: Although the feeding thing would become problematic, so maybe simply forearm snap-blades.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Mar 6 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #91

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 24 2009, 07:26 AM) *
let alone actually doing it the only way you could (by capturing and tortuing people).

If you could point out the alignment system in this game for me, as I suspect I missed it.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Mar 6 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #92

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

Non sequitur much Mordivan? Since when does a games system have to have an alignment system for the word evil to mean anything?

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Mar 7 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #93

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Da9iel @ Mar 6 2010, 04:01 PM) *
Non sequitur much Mordivan? Since when does a games system have to have an alignment system for the word evil to mean anything?

To imply that "evil" is in and of it self going to generate some kind of consequence.....

Sorry, but things only have consequences if you get caught.

+Quote Post
Brol_The_Mighty
post Mar 7 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #94

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,579

From a game standpoint, I'd have to agree with Mordinvan. In many systems, there is an inherent alignment system that encourages a type of playstyle, and suggests consequences if such is not followed. This just isn't the case in ShadowRun. Yes, if you start abducting people, and sucking the life from them.....and get caught at it, there will be consequences. But if you're smart about it, and don't get caught, there's really no basis for it, unless your GM just wants to Zod you.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Mar 8 2010, 05:56 AM
Post #95

Great Dragon

And, if using the above methods, even if you get caught the opposition may not be able to do very much to you anyways.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 3 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #96

Captain Canuck

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

So... I have a Free Spirit PC in play in my home game. Force 6, Edge 7, 3s and a 4 for Stats, Magic and Essence 6. 7 points of spirit powers (Aura Masking, Realistic Form, Mutable Form, Concealment, Guard, Accident) plus the freebies. The campaign involves the three PCs being closely associated with a gang in L.A. (membership in the 20s), not magical except for a few of the associates to the gang. The gang is a Group Contact for my FSPC at 5/5. We just started up, and four of the 6 Friends are gang members, one a street shaman who is sort of mother-protector to the neighbourhood, and one of the other two PCs. This last Friendship was just enacted, and I have to wait for the Karma to be able to progress and get the other PC as a Friend.

It is clear that my FSPC will have to start making Friends in a more rational way, as ork street gangers are not likely to live very long. Each death of a Friend will reduce her Force by 1. That's alright, I saw this going into the campaign.

While Nerpah's ideas regarding groups are interesting, they mostly involve a magical group. I see potential in some of the Spirit Pacts for a non-magical group. Power Pact would be certainly interesting to any group member, but would not likely give access to many spells for her to use (and therefore learn). If Karma is part of the exchange, then there is fertile ground here for her to progress quickly. If the GM allows it, of course. Similarly, the Drain pact with the one or two associated mages might be doable.

I invite suggestions as to how this FSPC might profit from pacts with a mostly non-magical gang.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 4 2010, 05:32 AM
Post #97

Great Dragon

Either which way the wind blows with Friendship Pacts, I highly suggest trying to get ahold of Hidden Life. The reason I chose a magical group is that you're also in a good spot to try entering into Power Pacts and getting some spells on the cheap.

I don't think I mentioned it here but you can also do a Dream Pact and put the guy in a permanent coma.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 4 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #98

Captain Canuck

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Heh, well, I'm looking at things she can do with people who are friends, if not Friends.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 5 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #99

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 3 2010, 11:32 PM) *
Either which way the wind blows with Friendship Pacts, I highly suggest trying to get ahold of Hidden Life. The reason I chose a magical group is that you're also in a good spot to try entering into Power Pacts and getting some spells on the cheap.

Oh, and it makes joining a Magical Group for Initiating that much easier.

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Dec 5 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #100

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

To that "Bloodmourne" arrow...
Great idea! I really didn't think of that!

Still, the idea of having a spirit suck the very life out of opponents always reminds me of having the same spirit transfer his "Energy Drain (Karma)" power via "Endowment" to the mage. Both ways seem to me to resemble a toxic mage's path... That's not quite impossible in the game, but beware of anyone finding out.

Anyway, awesome idea!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 03:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.