IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4A and the implanted commlink issue, the sim-module confusion and the new bbb version
Angier
post Mar 14 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,331

SR4A p. 338 states "Commlink: An implanted version of the commlink (p. 327), popular with hackers
and salarymen on the go. A Sim Module (modified for hot sim or not) may be implanted
at additional cost."

But what does that mean again? Does it refer to the implanted sim module? does it refer to a standard sim module included into the headcom package?

whats your opinion?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 14 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Headcoms do not have sim modules. You have to pay extra cash and soul to get one.

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 14 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

That's what my confusion is based on. Why then this last sentence?

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 14 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Because first headcoms were assumed to have a sim module build into, so this sentence was supposed to clarify stuff. FYI first and third printing did not have that sentance. There was much rejoicing. And flame.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 14 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I still think that if you're going to spend the extra cash for one, you should get an integrated sim module for free. It is 2100 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) more expensive.

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 14 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I know of this. My confusion now is based on the fact, that the sentence now is different from the one used in those older reprints indicating that it is not simply a remnant of these older versions.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 14 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #7

Running Target

I'm pretty sure there is a law that demands rules to be made of at least 20% confusion.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 14 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 14 2009, 09:34 PM) *
I'm pretty sure there is a law that demands rules to be made of at least 20% confusion.

Better make that 30% - datajacks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The word SIM module appears nowhere in their description but they're stated to be able to handle BTLs so presumably must have. Does that mean if you have a datajack with your Implanted commlink (or non-cyber one, actually), that you don't need a SIM module? The answer should be yes, but there's an Implantable SIM module in the same table which costs twice the Essence the datajack does.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 14 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Stop it right there, young man! This is not topic we want to discuss in this humble thread! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

But seriously... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Datajacks!

I just wondered where the get all that confusion from. My guess? Latin America. Probably right from its shadows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 14 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #10

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 14 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Stop it right there, young man! This is not topic we want to discuss in this humble thread! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

But seriously... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Datajacks!

I just wondered where the get all that confusion from. My guess? Latin America. Probably right from its shadows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Sorry. I wont add any more confusion...

...but I just wondered what you'd see with an implanted commlink that didn't have a SIM module? I mean you can use a regular commlink without a SIM module because it has a screen or an in-built trid projector. It can even have a dinky keyboard if you like.

But if an implanted commlink has a screen you certainly can't see it and how would you press the buttons without an AR interface? Do you bang your head against a wall to dial your mum? We know that an implanted commlink has a DNI because it costs you Essence. So how does it communicate without SIM? Do you hear a voice narrating your location in the Matrix with "You are in a twisty maze of SANs and RTGs. They are all alike." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Okay, I did bring in a little more confusion, but it was none of that imported Latin American stuff. This was genuine manufactured in the United States of America confusion. I know because it has 'Made In Seattle" stamped on the back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 14 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #11

Running Target

I just stopped bothering with this after the officials clarified this problem back in the day. Use AR goggles and external sim module for profit. Or something like that. Without further implants or devices the internal commlink is kinda completly retarded. That was my main argument back in the days of confusion why it needed to have a sim module. I was never the same after learning the TRUTH! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 15 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

I seem to be still too sober to understand this. back 2 topic - the only sample character seemingly making use of this rule is the hacker. but he doesn't offer a solution as his essence is way less than it should be.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 15 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Stay the hell away from the sample characters. They have bugs the size of sub-orbital jets. What exactly do you not understand at this point?

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 15 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

my question is - why the frakkin hell is this sentence evidently still there, redone, thus implying that there is more to it than "take the commlink, take the sim-module implant BOTH for the whole nine yards". It is a no brainer thus this sentence is needless. the only reason it wouldn't be needless would be that there IS the option to include the sim module into the implanted commlink package.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 15 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Just ignore it. Pretend it's made of candy and pink ponies. I don't know. The rules are simple, you want a sim module for the comlink in your brain, you either implant 'ware, or use an external device. Just don't think too hard about it. It works and makes kinda sense. If it bothers you, house rule it. If that sentence is still giving you a hard time, scream at it from the top of your lungs, maybe it will shut up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 15 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

did it. wouldn't die. seems like I'm getting old.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Mar 15 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #17

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 14 2009, 06:39 PM) *
But if an implanted commlink has a screen you certainly can't see it and how would you press the buttons without an AR interface? Do you bang your head against a wall to dial your mum? We know that an implanted commlink has a DNI because it costs you Essence. So how does it communicate without SIM? Do you hear a voice narrating your location in the Matrix with "You are in a twisty maze of SANs and RTGs. They are all alike." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm guessing one would use peripherals, like glasses with an image link and AR gloves, the same sort one would use with a non-implanted commlink. Also, you might just use the commlink interface like normal, if you got one implanted in a cyberarm; don't forget that an internal commlink can cost Essence or Capacity.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Mar 15 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 185

That is correct. A Sim Module is not necessary to operate a Commlink in AR; a number of external devices can be hooked up (via DNI, datajack, skinlink, etc) to allow both control and display of AR information.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 15 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Although THE MAN has spoken, I cannot agree that skinlink connects to an implanted commlink without... well... something that connects your skin to the commlink. Maybe you should add a sentence that it's skinlink enabled, if that is the intention.

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 15 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

unwired adresses that.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 15 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The internal commlink already runs on DNI; the skinlink is to connect the peripherals to it.

The sim module confusion arises because the sim module is available as a simple add-on accessory to a commlink, so why not the same for an implanted commlink? Also, none of the sample characters with implanted commlinks had a sim module listed separately - it was just a commlink, modified for hot sim. Yeah, yeah, I know the sample characters are messed up - but after umpteen erratas, it has not been changed, and both of them were done that way. So is it any wonder that people are still a little confused?

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Mar 15 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 15 2009, 02:17 AM) *
The internal commlink already runs on DNI; the skinlink is to connect the peripherals to it.
Right there is my problem and I know most of it is simply because I think about it. How does a signal transmitted via skinlink magically end up in your internal commlink, that has no connection what so ever to your skin? And the "urr... wireless signal?" answer would make skinlink moot to begin with. Oh boy, that brings back memories. Personally I simply pretend they are connceted to the skin, somehow. Nanowires could do the trick. Doesn't really matter, just a minor point that gave me major headaches.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 15 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

It's better if they are not implanted. Then you can network a hot sim unit to them when you hack their commlink and then amuse yourself by feeding them hot sim signals they can't turn off.

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 15 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

as said before: unwired adresses it. the implanted commlink with skinlink enabled has a sort of induction pad right beneath the skin to catch any skinlink signals.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Mar 15 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 15 2009, 02:06 AM) *
Although THE MAN has spoken, I cannot agree that skinlink connects to an implanted commlink without... well... something that connects your skin to the commlink. Maybe you should add a sentence that it's skinlink enabled, if that is the intention.

Brain is a delicate thing and it doesn't take well having chips inserted inside so most of the comlink should be placed on the xternal surface of the skull, right below the skin making easy to skinlink it; yet I have to say that an implanted comlink that has to rely on external devices for it's output is plain retarded.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.