Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about The Matrix
Shadowfox
post Mar 20 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,629

Alright, so I'm GMing, and my players are loving it.

So, after having modified On The Run to something a little different, I still used Delphia.

Long story short, they got themselves in some trouble with the police, and one of the members contacts, (a beat cop) says that he can try to get their faces and descriptions to be forgotten if they kill Delphia (I made her have a lot more influence over the local area's BTL trades, and that she's started to cause some mayhem with the police, including a carbomb that almost killed one of my players.)

Anyways, so one of the members called her (who she didn't know; at least that's what they thought) and set up a time to buy some BTLs, and when they showed up, the local ork gang was there to greet them instead. So while they were fighting, I had one ork inside the apartment remotely drive a GMC bulldog with machine gun turret in the back and start attacking them.

My question is: the groups hacker/rigger drops into VR mode, and then scans for wireless nodes: What exactly does he see at this moment? How can he differentiate from the node the car is emitting and the node from the house?

Secondly, when he went to go hack into the car, he used some edge, and got a ridiculously high roll on his first hack-on-the-fly attempt (14...he got like 5 6's in a row it was crazy) so that he would technically have admin access. After using his analyze program to see the other riggers icon controlling the vehicle, he asked if he could just delete his access or revoke his account, so I had him roll a computer + edit to see if he could do it, but he critical glitched (and I wanted him to enter cybercomat since he hasn't yet, this is only there third gaming session) but was that the appropriate thing? How would he have done that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coldan
post Mar 20 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 12,213

If he didn't start to get an admin account, he won't get admin. Even it is a critical sucess, I won't give him admin access, security is ok.

Well, you need some real good programms when you filter through the daily amount of data flying by. Not only the node at the house and the car, but also all commlinks and even the advertice rfid in his pants will send signals. So he will see a great list of reachable nodes and has to locate the right node with informations provided by the program. Don't make it too hard. We can't imagine how many data there is. just use the rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Critical glitches are a hell of pain. He will have triggered an active alert against himself. So he can log off, while the rigger is still searching for him (Opposed test: Analyse + Computer vs. Stealth + Hacking), try to disable the alert (Hacking an admin command) or just kick the connection of the rigger. While the alert is active, he won't get in there again (Firewall is increased), while he don't spoof his access ID.

Engaged at cybercombat without the skill will be real trouble. You can't default to the skill, so the rigger will just burst him. You only need an attack program, the dumpschock will take the rest.

+Quote Post
TypeRyder
post Mar 20 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,248

QUOTE (Shadowfox @ Mar 20 2009, 07:40 AM) *
My question is: the groups hacker/rigger drops into VR mode, and then scans for wireless nodes: What exactly does he see at this moment? How can he differentiate from the node the car is emitting and the node from the house?

He could do an Computer + Analyze to analyze the different icons and nodes. This is a simple matrix action (s. p. 228 and p. 229 SR4A for further infos on matrix perception.

Secondly, when he went to go hack into the car, he used some edge, and got a ridiculously high roll on his first hack-on-the-fly attempt (14...he got like 5 6's in a row it was crazy) so that he would technically have admin access. After using his analyze program to see the other riggers icon controlling the vehicle, he asked if he could just delete his access or revoke his account, so I had him roll a computer + edit to see if he could do it, but he critical glitched (and I wanted him to enter cybercomat since he hasn't yet, this is only there third gaming session) but was that the appropriate thing? How would he have done that?

If he gained admin access (Firewall + 6 additional successes), computer + edit would be an appropriate test IMHO. If he glitched - well, he could try it again *g* The Glitch will have severe consequences like an active alert and / or other Countermeasures (could as well be that he edited his OWN hacked admin account instead...)

+Quote Post
Taral
post Mar 21 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 16,935

A car? A car probably doesn't have account levels. Any hack attempt therefore grants you admin-level access without elevated threshold, and since there's no test to perform an authorized action unless you have an active alert against you, he can revoke everyone else in an eyeblink.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.