> A Letter from Peter Taylor
Vairdic
post Mar 21 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,055

Hi Folks,

Not entirely sure how to start this. It’s not going to be easy.

It’s been a rollercoaster year for me on a personal and professional level. A year of incredible highs and amazing lows. A year of great changes, a year of sublime moments and a year of heartbreaking loss. Of troubles great and small, and of triumphs great and small. A year where I’ve mourned old friends and made new ones, a year where my first child was born, and the year I got to helm my favorite gameline (every fanboys dream come true). There’s been more than one time that the ickybrownstuff has hit the fan, and there have been equal doses of success and accomplishment too. But, man, has it been a ringer. Truth be told I regret none of it, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. That’s life for you.

By now you’re probably asking yourselves either: when is he getting to the point, or what the heck does this all have to do with Shadowrun. Well, as it turns out quite a lot.

It’s been a strange year, and one crazy ride. And like all rides, there’s a point where it comes to an end. I’m here to tell you all that time has come.

Shadowrun and Catalyst need someone who can commit 200% to making the game we all know and love into all that it can be, and at this point in time too much in my life is beyond my control and that’s not a commitment I can honorably make. Rather than allow this to affect the ambitious schedule we have prepared for you, and with the launch of Shadowrun, Fourth Edition20th Anniversary out of the way, I’m here to tell you I’m stepping down as Shadowrun lead developer.

With Shadowrun celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year, this is definitely not the perfect timing, but sometimes that’s how the dice roll. Don’t fret though, there are plenty of projects already in the pipeline and a couple of parting gifts from me on final approach. You’ll be hearing more from Catalyst in the coming weeks.

Does this mean you’ve seen the last of me? I certainly hope not. I got into this to add my own voice to the glorious cacophony that has been Shadowrun over the years and I hope to continue to do so. There will be a few more books with my name on them and maybe now I’ll have some time to get some writing done. Who knows?

There are folk I have to thank, of course. This would never have been possible without you.

First and foremost, Adam Jury for the strength, the perseverance, and for starting me down this road. Rob Boyle for the faith and the mentoring. Jennifer Harding for the support and spirit. Tobias, Bobby, Lars, Jay, Aaron, and Stephen for going above and beyond when I needed you, for sticking it out when things looked bleak, I owe you all more than you know. To all the freelancers, old and new, that I’ve had the pleasure and the honor to work with, my sincerest thanks. To my sweet companion Paola and our beautiful Corinna, my thanks for your love and for just being there. And finally, to you all, the fans, my thanks for your wisdom, criticism, fanaticism, and above all your passion. . Thank you for your support and for allowing me to share some of my vision of what Shadowrun is and could be with you. Shadowrun wouldn’t be the great game it is without it

Here’s my sincerest hopes that we’ll all be around in 20 years to enjoy the 40th anniversary of Shadowrun.

See ya around chummers,
Peter Taylor

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The adventure gaming industry and hobby exists due to both the passion of its player communities and the passion and dedication in the people that create the games we all love. In that vein, Catalyst Game Labs was established by a group of individuals dedicated to ensuring that the seminal properties of BattleTech and Shadowrun found a home worthy of their storied status.

Peter Taylor was asked to helm Shadowrun for the last two years because of that dedication to making great, fun games. Catalyst Game Labs is very grateful for the skill set and enthusiasm Peter brought to the table and especially for bringing the 20th Anniversary Edition of Shadowrun to fruition. While he’s stepping down, we’re very pleased that he’ll continue bringing that same passion and skills set to Shadowrun as an author.

To the future I will assume managerial control of Shadowrun and will work closely with a Shadowrun Development Team, currently composed of John Dunn, Jennifer Harding, and Adam Jury. Their expertise will help ensure a smooth transition and most importantly will ensure that the flow of great new books to the community continues without a hitch.

Randall Bills
Managing Line Developer
Catalyst Game Labs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
crizh
post Mar 21 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

Wow, Peter you'll be missed.

I thought that you had seemed a little distracted of late but this is still a shock.

Good luck. Especially with being a Dad, that's undiscovered country and no mistake.

+Quote Post
Kev
post Mar 21 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,063

Peter,

You've done great things and made incredible strides with our beloved Shadowrun. Good luck with everything in your life, and personally I hope to see you back in the shadows some time.

Take care chummer.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Mar 21 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

Peter:

It's been a pleasure working with you, and I look forward to seeing your energy and ideas for the Shadowrun universe continue in future books. I hope this decision works out well for you.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
walkir
post Mar 21 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,608

Best wishes and good luck to you, Peter.
You'll be missed.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Mar 21 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

Well...that is sad news. I loved the direction you were taking the game, and am sad to see you move on.

On the other hand: Did I read that right, that Randall is filling your rather large shoes? From what I heard about how we got TacOps and StratOps as we got them, I am expecting good things...but also think Ms. Harding should shave her head now in prep for when she is trying to talk Randall from his Over-writing tendency (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (Yes..that is an attempt at humour in the face of sad news)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Mar 21 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Thanks for the things you made happen for the game, Peter. May the karma earned serve you well.

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Mar 21 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

Whoah, that came... unexpected.
Thank you for the hard work, passion and commitment you put into this game.
Good luck for the future!

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Mar 21 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

I would offer my sincere thanks with a moving and powerful statement, but unfortunately others said it rather succinctly. Since that is the case I will say simply this: as a hardcore 2nd generation gamer I feel I have the veteran status to say that you and the entire dev team kicked major ass in your pursuit of dystopian nirvana.

You did a great job Mr. Taylor.

Oh, and a piece of advice:
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, make a deal with a Dragon.

+Quote Post
Zormal
post Mar 21 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,928

Thanks for everything!
We wish you the best (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 21 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Petey:

Sad to see you go. But do what is best for you, no matter what.
Swing by these Forums if you find the time to bitch about stuff or just have fun with us again.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 21 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Our thanks and best wishes with your next steps.
Looking forward to everything in the pipeline and expect good things with ya back in the writers seat.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Mar 21 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

I'm sorry to see you go Peter and you will be missed. Thank you for all of your hard work as SR Line Developer and I hope you have the opportunity and desire to write for this product again.

I'm soon going to be having a new family myself so I'm there with you. Best of luck.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Mar 21 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

It's sad to see something good to come to its end but that's the way life goes, what has a beginning has also an end.
However while not exactly the kind of news that makes us jump for happiness we shouldn't mourne either, many things in our lives aren't about the way they end but how they came to that end, it has been good to have you at the helm and we should be happy to have been able to appreciate your work; I don't know if it can make this farewell any better but I have to tell you that you have taken the right course of action, we work for living not the other way around, and being a father is a timeconsuming prospect, it's just being realistic to recognize that we can't have everything in the life (especialy if it is more time) and to chose what's best for us, you choose well.
Farewell chummer, and remember to send paydatas if you find any.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 21 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Maybe it is just the paranoia of the setting getting to me, but why is the letter being posted here by Vairdic instead of Synner himself?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 21 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #16

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Peter,

I just want to say thank you for all you've done for the game that I have enjoyed so much over the years. Your work has helped preserve and reinvigorate Shadowrun for new generations of players as well as entertaining and bringing back us originals.

I hope the downtime gives you a few moments to spend all the good karma you must have earned.

Peace on you and your family,

Khadim.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 21 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Peter convinced me to get back into writing for Shadowrun and I really enjoyed working with him as a writer and as the line developer. The best thing about working with Peter is that he was so clearly a fan of the game and I could easily bounce crazy plot ideas off him and he'd get excited about them and try to find ways to make them work. And when I had an idea that just wouldn't work (trust me, I've had a few stinkers), he'd tell you exactly why it wasn't the best idea for the game in a way that always had me agreeing with him and not feeling stung or bitter.

I know there are some people on this forum that have had imperfect experiences with Catalyst, whether over decisions they've made about the game or with the company getting back to them on writing submissions, or any number of other things. I have too. But while Peter's letter says Catalyst needed someone who could give 200% to the game, I can say that in my experience, Peter gave more to the game than anyone I knew at Catalyst. He was the one staff member over there I could rely on getting back to me, even if it was in the middle of him pulling out his hair because of a dozen projects going in a dozen different directions.

So it's not really surprising that Catalyst has "retired" me as a freelancer at the same time as this change in developers. My experience with some of the other development staff hasn't been all roses (except for Jennifer, she rocks), and without Peter there, it wouldn't be the same anyway. So now I get to be a grumpy fan with the rest of you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 21 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #18

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Two years sure go by quick.

I have been a SR fan and collector since the very week the first edition hit the shelf and can say without a doubt that the game has never been better than it was under your watch. Thanks for all your hard work, Peter.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Mar 21 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

I don't remember what your exact words were when Shadows of Europe went it, but I guess it was around the lines of "We made it." To my old partner in crime 0111011001 : You made it.

A lot more important thing is, I realize while I knew about her for some times, I completely forgot to congratulate you on the birth of your daughter until now. I'm really late. Félicitations !

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 21 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #20

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

well, best of luck going forward.

and now to see how long the next in line lasts...

+Quote Post
Magus
post Mar 21 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Original Synner
Here is hoping you still stick to the threads occasionally. I love what you have done with ShadowRun and I am very sorry to see you go. I do hope this is not because of the several flamewars others have started over how You and Catalyst are leading Shadowrun.
I love the what you have done and your writing style. You will be sorely missed. I hope that Catalyst continues on in your tradition and visions of the future.
God go with you on your journey through Life. Here's hoping we can still hear from you.

+Quote Post
SincereAgape
post Mar 21 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,610

Peter. That is a heart felt letter. Best of luck to you in the future, and may 2009 be a continuation of what 2008 was like. Change nothing. Live for everything. A fantastic attidue to have. Catalyst Game Labs has really made me feel optimistic about where the Shadowrun line and universe is heading. Similiar to how Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni have taken on the NY Knicks this year, the quality of the product over the past two years has really been innovative. To sum up the product in one word, "Quality."

Thank you for all that you have contributed to the SR line and thank you for leaving the game we all love in the hands of passionate people. Can't wait to see where the next twenty years takes us.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 21 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #23

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Mar 21 2009, 11:40 AM) *
So it's not really surprising that Catalyst has "retired" me as a freelancer at the same time as this change in developers. My experience with some of the other development staff hasn't been all roses (except for Jennifer, she rocks), and without Peter there, it wouldn't be the same anyway. So now I get to be a grumpy fan with the rest of you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Wow, Peter leaving because of good priorities is understandable, if The Suck for the game. But this is just a loss, plain and simple.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 22 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #24

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Thank you for having stepped up to the plate Peter in the first place, you're the best things that happened to Shadowrun! I know you will continue to have success in your other projects, so happy trails.

+Quote Post
Draxtier
post Mar 22 2009, 05:52 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 16,656

It was the year of fire... the year of destruction... the year we took back what was ours. It was the year of rebirth... the year of great sadness... the year of pain... and the year of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the year everything changed. The year is 2261. The place: Babylon 5.

... maybe I'm the only one who read the first paragraph and thought of B5. Tee hee.

Thank you, Peter, for the integral contribution you have made to Shadowrun and the pleasure you've brought me in playing the game you helped to shape. I wish you all the best, in your private and professional life.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.