Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sustaining spells and wards/astral barriers
Bai Shen
post Mar 24 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,837

I have an initiated mage who uses a sustained Mask spell as a constant disguise. The initation allows the spell to be concealed on the astral. The mage uses a sustaining focus most of the time.

What I'm trying to figure out is what would happen when the mage attempted to pass through a ward or astral barrier? Does sustaining the spell personally instead of using a focus matter? Does the masking make a difference?

TIA.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 25 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Foci may not pass through mana barriers unless turned off.

+Quote Post
Bai Shen
post Mar 25 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 24 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Foci may not pass through mana barriers unless turned off.

Even when masked?

What about if the mage is sustaining the spell without a focus? Can that pass through? Or would the mage have to drop the spell to pass through the barrier?

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 25 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

As I understand it, anything magically active (including active focii, perceiving mages, and sustained spells) will be blocked as it tries to pass through a mana barrier of any kind.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Mar 25 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

With (extended) masking you could also assense the creator of the ward/barrier and make yourself look like him. Then you could just pass through the ward.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Mar 25 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

SR3

+Quote Post
Bai Shen
post Mar 25 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 25 2009, 01:47 AM) *
With (extended) masking you could also assense the creator of the ward/barrier and make yourself look like him. Then you could just pass through the ward.

That takes too long. I'm looking for a simple solution to having a magical disguise up and not having to drop it when going through an astral barrier.

QUOTE (Pendaric @ Mar 25 2009, 08:55 AM) *
SR3

Huh? If you're referring to the above post, there was something similiar in SR3. But it took too long.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Mar 25 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

Without Extended Masking, foci aren't included at all in Masking. In that circumstance, either the focus is switched off or the ward breaks.

Why not just get your mage to buy a nanopaste disguise?

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Mar 25 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Huh? If you're referring to the above post, there was something similiar in SR3. But it took too long.

You put a SR3 tag on the thread. So SR4 answers would be unuseful. Unless of course you actually meant SR4.

Sorry no way of getting a active spell through a active ward you did not create.

It is open to interpretation if Masking SR3 or extended masking in SR4 would allow a sustained spell through a ward as sinc'ing your aura with the ward is really for active foci and astral projection.

+Quote Post
Bai Shen
post Mar 25 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Target

QUOTE (raggedhalo @ Mar 25 2009, 10:12 AM) *
Without Extended Masking, foci aren't included at all in Masking. In that circumstance, either the focus is switched off or the ward breaks.

Why not just get your mage to buy a nanopaste disguise?

Umm, 'cause there isn't a nanopaste disguise in SR3? And I prefer to stay away from the nanotech stuff.

QUOTE (Pendaric @ Mar 25 2009, 10:23 AM) *
You put a SR3 tag on the thread. So SR4 answers would be unuseful. Unless of course you actually meant SR4.

Sorry no way of getting a active spell through a active ward you did not create.

It is open to interpretation if Masking SR3 or extended masking in SR4 would allow a sustained spell through a ward as sinc'ing your aura with the ward is really for active foci and astral projection.

No, I meant SR3. It was just that that's all you posted, so I wasn't sure.

I'm thinking this concept may need to go back to the drawing board. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.