> Vatican, Spec Ops
Westiex
post Mar 25 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,715

Hey all,

Our group has decided to do a game reboot due to the release of SR4A and my character has a bit of history with Vatican Spec Ops. I was trying to get more information on them and the only info I've found was on the 6th world Wiki indicating a group is called "Vigilia Evangelica".

I've searched Shadows of Europe and it shows the V. Evangelica is the section that covers the Vatican's matrix. Would anyone have any more of an idea about what they might be called or where I can find any references?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 25 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

I believe Loose Alliances has more on them. And if Synner sees this thread, he's a goldmine of info on them.

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Mar 25 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

Knights Templar are the magic arm, I believe.

Ancient History would be another lad who can be counted on for large piles of knowledge

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 25 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #4

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

The three main sneaky-beaky groups that work for the Vatican are the Vigilia Evangelica, the New Knights Templars and the New Society of Jesus. The Vigila Evangelica are covered in Loose Alliances, the New Knights Templars are in Threats 2 and I can't recall off hand where you can find information on the New Society of Jesus.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Mar 25 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

In very broad terms, the New Templars (a religious Order/Rule) are the Vatican's CIA, the New Jesuits (another religious Order/Rule aka New Society of Jesus) are the FBI/Secret Service, and the Vigilia Evangelica is the NSA - there's also a new Office of the Inquisition that polices the Church internally. The New Templars are used for external black covert ops, subversion, and against magical threats to the Holy Church. The New Jesuits are guardians of the institutions of the Church against internal and external threats. Officially, the Vigilia Evangelica is "only" a Holy Office of the Church that maintains the Vatican's worldwide Matrix and libraries - in truth, it's a centuries old Office that does a bunch of different things, but mainly guards the Vatican's Black Libraries and the five secret Aquinine Vaults.

Flakjacket has provided book references for the various organizations. The Jesuits have never been spotlighted but they are mentioned (though the references contradict themselves) in the Aztlan sb, the Black Madonna novel, Shadows of Europe's Italy chapter, and the Loose Alliances' Vigilia writeup.

Didn't have a chance to get back to any of them during my tenure as SR4 Line Developer, but I'd say they're overdue for a cameo...

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 25 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

I remember reading about the military of the Vatican and reading from wiki (with a grain of salt of course, but it's a good brief overview)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Vatican_City
And I thought it was interesting the amount of volunteers and mercenaries that they've used. It'd be interesting in the darker, meaner days of the shadowrun world, how the Swiss guards would be transformed, and if they revive other units to protect the Vatican.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Mar 25 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

@Synner: I don´t know if it is still what you would do, but I really like the story, and it fits here:

QUOTE (Synner @ Nov 17 2006, 09:43 AM) *
The following section is a summary of what was dropped from the Game Info section of Loose Alliances on the Vigilia Evangelica. It remains unpublished and hence unofficial. I've been saving it in the hope of returning to the Vigilia and the Lodge some day but... I'm not sure I'll be able to revisit them anytime soon, so here's a peek at what I was thinking.

BLACK SECRET
One exception to the Vigilia Evangelica's rule of absolute secrecy is the Black Lodge, for the Lodge and the Vigilia share a secret history. Unbeknownst to anyone outside the order, the Lodge's founders were once the caretakers of one of the original Aquinae Vaults. Some time during the Middle Ages, a brief mana spike released something caged within one of the relics under the Vault's care. An ancient spirit was unleashed and insane from millennia of captivity went on a vengeful rampage, ravaging the abbey it was kept under, killing many of its Black Monks (Cistercians, yep that's where the "Black" in Black Lodge comes from) and Templar knight wardens. However, having depleted its energies, the entity was forced to take refuge in one of the survivors by possessing him and merging their minds as the spike began to ebb.

During convalescence the man became privy to flashes of insight, memories of a secret history of the world. Visions of an Age when the remnant spirit had been a rebel, a Prometheus who had challenged the immortal powers that had then ruled the world and had been brought low and chained for eternity. The monk dreamt that those powers had also survived into this world and were destined to one day return. The spirit weakened urged him to warn the others, to warn the world. Other survivors found enough confirmation of his visions in documents and pre-Classical relics at the Vault that they decided to take the revelations to Rome.

When the then-Pope granted audience and allowed the survivors to speak, the weakened spirit attempted to reveal itself to the Pontiff to warn him of the impending danger. The Pope hadn't realized this was a case of possession and ordered his guards to detain the possessed man and those brethren that had been exposed to him � so that the Inquisition and the Vigilia could perform an exorcism. The Papal Guard was unprepared for even the weakened spirit and his nigh-invulnerable host. Killing several guards, the man escaped using the spirit's power to influence his brethren to flee with him. The fugitives returned to the Melk vault* ahead of their pursuers and took everything they could, convinced that given time Rome would understand the true danger� meanwhile someone must prepare for the war that would follow the return of the Immortals. The escape cost the spirit much of its remaining energies and before falling semi-dormant it offered a Spirit Pact to its vessel, one that would ensure it would be survive to execute its revenge.

Meanwhile, the Vatican did not come round, and the Pope ordered the "traitors" hunted down and burned at the stake. The Vigilia, stung by the betrayal of its sacred duty, obliged bringing all its power to bear. The purges that spelled the end of the original Knights Templar are well known, the inquisition of many Cistercians less so. Despite their best efforts, the possessed and his brethren escaped with the help of friends in the regular clergy� escaped to plan the future, the spirit's pact keeping the man with the vision alive to become known as the Penultimate Master of the Black Lodge.

So it came to pass that the Black Lodge was ready for the return of magic. It has built its own far-reaching shadowy network of influence, fear and power in preparation for a shadow war against the returning Powers. It has manipulated and maneuvered its pawns and agents into positions of power and influence in the highest circles of political, corporate, and of course thaumaturgic power�after all fire can be fought with fire. It has crushed opposition and innocents in its path to power, seeing them as lesser casualties and collateral damage in the great war to come.

Unfortunately for the Lodge, the true story of the schism with the Vigilia has become buried in centuries of bad blood and enemity. Long-forgotten the reason for the Lodge's "treason" all that remains is the memory of the betrayal, to the point that the Vigilia and the Church continue to hunt down the Lodge wherever they come upon its interests � and remain fearful that the Lodge may make a move for one of the remaining Aquinae Vaults and the secrets they harbor.

* The references to the destruction of Melk abbey (both here and in Loose Alliances) are historical, but they're also a tip of the hat to one of my favorite books, one which was inspirational for a lot of the material on the Vigilia.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Mar 25 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 25 2009, 03:59 PM) *
In very broad terms, the New Templars (a religious Order/Rule) are the Vatican's CIA, the New Jesuits (another religious Order/Rule aka New Society of Jesus) are the FBI/Secret Service, and the Vigilia Evangelica is the NSA - there's also a new Office of the Inquisition that polices the Church internally. The New Templars are used for external black covert ops, subversion, and against magical threats to the Holy Church. The New Jesuits are guardians of the institutions of the Church against internal and external threats. Officially, the Vigilia Evangelica is "only" a Holy Office of the Church that maintains the Vatican's worldwide Matrix and libraries - in truth, it's a centuries old Office that does a bunch of different things, but mainly guards the Vatican's Black Libraries and the five secret Aquinine Vaults.

Flakjacket has provided book references for the various organizations. The Jesuits have never been spotlighted but they are mentioned (though the references contradict themselves) in the Aztlan sb, the Black Madonna novel, Shadows of Europe's Italy chapter, and the Loose Alliances' Vigilia writeup.

Didn't have a chance to get back to any of them during my tenure as SR4 Line Developer, but I'd say they're overdue for a cameo...

Yes they are as Threats 2 leaves a nice juicy plot hook for the New Templars in 2075. Disputed irradiated land becomes safe and claimable (Vatican versus Israel).

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Mar 25 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

What about the Sylvestrines (sp?), I thought they were also one of thos Vatican black ops types, or are the just a magical group? Of course "just" might not be accurate.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Mar 26 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #10

Dumorimasoddaa

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 25 2009, 11:59 PM) *
What about the Sylvestrines (sp?), I thought they were also one of thos Vatican black ops types, or are the just a magical group? Of course "just" might not be accurate.

iirc there a magical group of priest mages howerver some are Tempalars and the groups acts as a cover for Templars. But the Sylvesteines theme are a charitable group.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 26 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #11

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Since we seem to be dealing with all things Popery, Synner can you remind me what the organisational set-up and government for the Papal States is?

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Mar 27 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

Last year I posed as a bishop-guard's border patrol member from the Free State of Westphalia at a convention. That's an entire ecclesiastic state in the Alliance of German States (ADL). I used an outfit orientated at the Teutonic Order . As the order's still active in 2009 it should be around in 2072 as well. It's RL 'HQ' is based in Vienna, Austria. Of course it's an unmilitary order nowadays. But it might be elsewise in 2072. And there are other orders around, too. For example the Order of St. Lazarus. I don't know it there are any offical references but you could use them for your private game.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Mar 27 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

You know chummers, here in Italy things are getting very ...... conform to the wishes of the Pope.
And I can tell, having to ask if deciding about your own life is ok with the Vatican stinks, badly.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Mar 27 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 25 2009, 06:59 PM) *

The Order of St. Sylvester is the name of the order that Catholic Priests who are also magic-users join. Threats 2 makes a big deal about the New Knights Templar being hidden behind the Sylvestrines.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Mar 27 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #15

Dumorimasoddaa

QUOTE (raggedhalo @ Mar 27 2009, 01:58 PM) *
The Order of St. Sylvester is the name of the order that Catholic Priests who are also magic-users join. Threats 2 makes a big deal about the New Knights Templar being hidden behind the Sylvestrines.

You said that much better than I could.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 5 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Just had to bump this thread by linking this article:

Medieval knights hid and secretly venerated The Holy Shroud of Turin for more than 100 years after the Crusades, the Vatican said today in an announcement that appeared to solve the mystery of the relic’s missing years.

The Knights Templar, an order which was suppressed and disbanded for alleged heresy, took care of the linen cloth, which bears the image of a man with a beard, long hair and the wounds of crucifixion, according to Vatican researchers.

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Apr 5 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 4,923

The Vatican Conpiracies were always a pet subject for me, this is a doc i knocked together for my own use, hopefully it will give some useful info to others.

VATICAN FORCES.
The Papal Swiss Guard.
The name given to the Swiss soldiers who have served as bodyguards, ceremonial guards, and palace guards at foreign European courts since the late 15th century. They have generally had a high reputation for discipline and loyalty to their employers. The Papal guard was formed in 1506, as a small force responsible for the safety of the Pope, including the security of the Apostolic Palace and access to the entrances to the Vatican City. Pope Julius II later granted them the title "Defenders of the Church's freedom."
Their ranks consist of a Commandant (bearing the rank of "oberst" or Colonel), a chaplain, one sergeant major ("feldwebel") and "halberdiers", the rank equivalent to private (so called because of their traditional Halberd). Recruits to the guards must be Catholic, single human males with Swiss citizenship who have completed basic training with the Swiss military and can obtain certificates of good conduct. Recruits must have a professional diploma or high school degree and must be between 19 and 30 years of age. their official language is Swiss-German and the term of service is between 2 and 25 years.
The official dress uniform is of blue, red, orange and yellow with a distinctly Renaissance appearance. Sergeants wear a black top with crimson leggings, while other officers wear an all-crimson uniform. During cold or inclement weather, a dark blue cape is worn over the regular uniform. The regular duty uniform is more functional, consisting of a simpler light blue overall with a brown belt and black beret. Building on tradition, members wear a long sword (officers a rapier or straight sabre) and receive instruction in the ceremonial use of their halberd on a four-sided pole which is held on their right during marches, drill, and regular formations in their official duties around the Vatican.
As the years progressed their role expanded especially in their non ceremonial roles, this included enhanced training in unarmed combat and firearms as well as instruction on defensive bodyguard tactics similar to those used in the protection of many heads of state.
With the formation of the Papal State in 2037 their role has been expanded and they now patrol the entire papal state. They are armoured and armed, but still dress in blue and yellow making them highly visible.

The Vatican Secret Archives.
The Catholic Church first officially started keeping a library around the fourth century. Formed at the height of the first great heresy craze, the contents of this library included a lot of information on heretical branches of Christianity and the documents and scriptures used by these heretical branches (which the Church fathers admitted to having read). The entire contents of the pre-eighth century archives, presumably including all these fascinating heresies, mysteriously disappeared, according to the Vatican's official account of the library's history, "for reasons not entirely known."
Pope Paul IV (1555-1559) issued the Index Librorum Prohibitorum or "index of prohibited books." The avowed aim of the list was to protect the faith and morals of the faithful by preventing the reading of immoral books or works containing theological errors, although it also contained scientific works by leading astronomers such as Johannes Kepler. Reading, possessing or distributing these books had a spiritual penalty of excommunication (i.e., condemnation to hell without appeal), and in Catholic countries, they often had civil penalties as well (of varying severity, depending on the nature of the books). As the centuries wore on, the list of banned and dangerous books grew and grew. The Inquisition rounded up hundreds of books on topics ranging from Protestantism to Witchcraft and ritual magic, to the entire libraries of heretical groups like the Knights Templar and the Cathars.
Pope Pius IV (1559-1565) is credited with first officially designating the existence of something which would formally be called the "Secret Archive." The actual building was completed early in the 17th century and remained an ironclad fortress of forbidden information until the end of the 19th century, when it was purportedly opened to select scholars.
A heavily edited index of the Archives contents was published, and a large set of rules were developed regarding who got access to what. There are 135 fondi, or individual archives in over 50 miles of storage space. These include not only records of papal decrees, chancery business, and the like, but much other material, including the records of prominent papal families, suppressed religious orders and monasteries, and those of nunciatures, or church embassies. Most of this has never been examined, much less indexed and catalogued.
The archives had been moved and looted several times during their long history. Most of the medieval records that survived were lost during the Sack of Rome in 1527; Napoleon took them to Paris in 1849 where many volumes were recycled into butcher paper; and much fell into the hands of the Italian government in 1870 when Italy was formed.
The Vatican library is believed to be the largest repository of pre-awakening mystical lore in the world. Tomes and scrolls collected over two millennia and kept in secret vaults. Even the Librarians Custodius don’t know everything they have hidden in storage. An even more secret archive exists, containing papal documents and canon law, and a lot of other stuff which is super-classified. Absolutely no one is allowed access.
As the 20th century dawned, the increasingly free flow of information around the world (and the decreasing political power of the Catholic Church) made it more and more difficult for the Vatican to effectively control what people were reading. To this end the Vatican structured access to the archives to allow a minimum of accidental disclosures and a maximum of secrecy. The most obvious way to do this is also the most effective. It's strictly prohibited to go browsing the shelves in the Vatican's secret archives. It's unclear whether even the archive's Librarians Custodius are allowed to do so. Scholars wishing to review information in the archives have to arrive at the gate knowing exactly what documents they want. Scholars also have to present their research requests in writing in advance, allowing the librarians ample time to decide between their three options in responding — 1) bring out the requested document, 2) claim the document doesn't exist, or 3) admit the document exists but refuse to give the scholar access. Scholars are only allowed a pencil and notepad and are accompanied by a Librarian at all times, no copying scanning or data archiving of the desired documents are allowed.
The library also deals with the collection and preservation of holy relics, the main body of relics tend to be bits and pieces of saint's bodies, such as toes, fingernail clippings, hair, blood-stained whatever’s, teeth and bones. A little-known fact: The altar piece in every Catholic church has at least one and usually several relics imbedded inside it.
Since the advent of the Internet, the Vatican quietly began working to digitally store and cross reference this vast store of knowledge. The Vigilia Evangelica, a branch of the Augustinian order, oversees this task and manages the Vatican’s matrix systems.

The Order of Saint Sylvester.
Also known as the sylvestrines. A minor order of the Church known as Exorcists and magical protectors of the Faith. They are a liberal order and often preach a doctrine of tolerance and reconciliation amongst warring parties. They are the most visible of the church’s orders, investigating magical affairs for the church, many members are minor magical adepts or highly knowledgeable in the magical arts to aid their work. Their HQ is at Mount St Michel in France. They are known to operate within Tir-na-Nog and rumours have arisen that say they are used as a public front by the new Order of the Temple for covert action against the countries Elven rulers.

Many church magicians follow hermetic practises and schools, many use Patron Saints as their Idols. Their tools and trappings are those of the Church, the Bible, the Cross or Crucifix, the Rosary and Holy Water are common elements. God, Christ or numerous saints are often invoked during casting, with some even speaking in tongues. Most spirits take on angelic or iconic religious forms.

The New Society of Jesus.
Also known as the New Jesuits. A major order within the Church known as Guardians and Protectors of the Church and its Congregations. No conclusive evidence exists to prove their existence within the Church, but many recurring rumours abound. They are based in Toledo in Spain and the name of their Commander General is unknown, but he is believed to be a member of the Papal Curia(the church’s administrative body), their activities seem to be directed at the persecution of Catholics worldwide with particular focus on Aztlan, they go to great pains to ensure their actions throughout the world are concealed.
They can be found at the core of many catholic anti-government factions, including terrorist groups and in any country where Catholics are at risk from hostile forces or governments.
Members are said to be Meta-human intelligence agents, organised as a paramilitary group. They include military trained personnel, undercover agents and some of the hottest deckers in the world. Rumour also states that many of these agents have undergone some degree of cybernetic modification, although known mago-phobes, many members are magically active and most others seem to be scholars of theoretical magic, even if they cant wield it.

The Order of the Temple.
Also known as the New Templars. A hidden order of the Church and magical initiatory group, the name of the Master of the Temple is unknown, but it is believed he reports directly to the Pope. Their goal is the return of the world to the control of the Holy Church through the use of force, not overall control but the placing of Catholics in positions of command and political power, Catholics who in turn will take orders from the Church. To achieve this goal they have been known to use any means necessary, intimidation, assassination and sabotage are common. They also use subversive elements within a country to destabilise governments through training and financial aid. They operate on a worldwide theatre, but with particular focus on the countries of Tir-na-Nog, Aztlan and former crusader kingdoms in the Middle East
Religious fanatics of the first order, they are dedicated to their mission and convinced that what they do is gods will. The Orders ranks are split into two groups, The Knights are all ordained priests and magically active in the Christian hermetic tradition, they use Archangels as their magical patrons and any spirits formed take the form of angels. Sergeants are normal members of the church, not required to be a member of the priesthood, they are known to use cybernetic modifications and are the knights presence in the Matrix. Many are recruited from other orders, including the New Jesuits and the Sylvestrines, leading the Templars to use the Sylvestrines as a front for their covert activities in many areas.

Vigilia Evangelica.

Meaning to watch for a messenger from God. Publicly they are the Holy Office responsible for the Vatican’s matrix and intelligence resources, as well as the safeguarding of their libraries and computer systems.

In private they are a secretive and influential brotherhood within the church, answerable only to the Pope and led by two Priors-General. They were formed in 1274 at the second Council of Lyon by Pope Gregory X (1271-1276). The great theologian and scholar Thomas Aquinas died enroute to the council. Amongst his writings and effects delivered to the Pope along with news of his death were incomplete notes on his research regarding mystical phenomena and the numerous artefacts in the church's possession. The Pope decided that if the dangers and powers described in Thomas’s words were real, they required an appropriate response, and so the Vigilia Evangelica was born. They were given the commission of protecting the congregations of the Holy Church from all the hidden and unholy things. Across the centuries they carried out a pogrom against the dark arts of witchcraft and Satanism, riding into secret battles and exorcising spirits, often alongside allies such as the original Templar Order, always hiding behind the scenes, its existence hidden to most inside the Church.

The Vigilia is not an order, it is a Holy Office of the Vatican, a clerical brotherhood that transcends the Diocesan and Order hierarchies, it draws members from all factions of the Church. Its Primary mission is to expand and safeguard the Aquinae collections, the forbidden libraries of the Church, the other is waging covert war, seconded by the New Knights Templar and New Society of Jesus, against the hidden forces of darkness that threaten the congregations of the faithful. though rarely seen in the field, the Vigilia, supplies the information and tools used by the military orders to accomplish their goals. While the Vigilia mostly coordinates, its Praetors are occasionally sent to aid other orders against specific enemies armed with Aquinae items or grimoires, or on missions to acquire new materials or artefacts for the vaults.

The Aquinae Vaults.

Named after St Thomas Aquinas these immense libraries of the Vatican are hidden across the globe, protected by the best magical and technological defences and completely concealed under otherwise normal churches, convents, monasteries and cathedrals. Four such vaults currently exist, with a fifth one being created on the Vatican’s ultra secure matrix host.

The vaults are cavernous hall like underground cathedrals, with seemingly endless shelves, glass displays and half lit terminals. They hold shelf upon shelf of heretical books, rejected and lost gospels, tomes, parchments and scrolls dating back to time immemorial, scientific and literary masterpieces sit beside magical grimoires ancient and new. Glass cabinets contain scores of ancient and religious relics and wondrous items of power, all of these confiscated by the church under the Index Librium Prohibitorum. Their contents are unknown to those outside the Vigilia and its masters; but are rumoured to contain such things as the deciphered Voyanich manuscript, St Malachys prophetic words in Lignum Vitae, the mysteries of the Tulli papyrus, Dees confiscated Codex Hermeticum and Minoan tablets recovered from Easter island as well as hundreds of other tomes and artefacts. A few on the fringe say that the Vigilia has proof of lost civilisations and also many artefacts from those times within its vaults. The Vigilia seemed to know the Awakening was coming before 2011, at the very least following the Lourdes apparitions of 2010.

Few know of the Vigilias existence, its enemies are mostly those it targets, insect spirits, shedim, demonic entities, malignant spirits of all kinds, the occasional dragon and the Black Lodge. There are many other agencies that would love to raid the contents of the Aquinae vaults if they knew of their existence.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 6 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 185

Thanks for reminding me how much fun some of that stuff was to write.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Apr 6 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #19

Dumorimasoddaa

Nice write up there. Yeah the Vatican really need to be touched on again. They have so much penitential and are looking to be one of the next big movers in the 6th world.

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Apr 6 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #20

Target

NP Synner, thanks for writing it, its not that hard to tie in a lot of European Noble families with this stuff too, it can develop into whole campaigns against or for the Vatican.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 6 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #21

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Very nice, although I will say, the bit about every altar in every Catholic Church having a holy relic in it is a bit of a stretch. I've seen churches in South America, and how they managed to attach a relic to a wooden table is beyond me. Every cathedral? Maybe. Every tabernacle? Perhaps. But not all altars are nice, stone boxes.

+Quote Post
Mickle5125
post Apr 6 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

anyone have more information on the Templar's focus on Tir Na nOg? IE: Do they support certain factions, or do they just smack around anyone and everyone that crosses their path there?

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Apr 7 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #23

Target

With no named associates as such, the Templars would be operating in the Tir in revenge for the Elven Governments attacks and scandals forced upon the Catholic Church in the teen's and twenties.
They are extremely active making contacts among the people, especially in rural areas, and destabilising the rule of the elves; supporting and giving aid to any Catholic Political or Militant groups, whether the group wants it or not at times. Templars could also be found protecting groups of Catholic worshippers who may be threatened by hostile forces or malicious disruption.
Although working in secret or behind the cloak of the Sylvestrine order; the Tir government is aware of the Templars existence and does what it can to keep them in check.
They may interfere in local politics, manipulate enemies into fighting each other and anything else they wish, if it advances their goals it's fair game.

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Apr 7 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #24

Target

@ Nezumi, lol, yeah i never thought that one through, just mass data dump research, your tag says it all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Apr 7 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 6 2009, 10:30 AM) *
the bit about every altar in every Catholic Church having a holy relic in it is a bit of a stretch.

That's not fiction at all, but actually very true. Every Catholic altar must contain a primary relic. In cases where it's a wooden table, usually the relic is inset into the surface. In cases where the same altar can't be used consistently, the relic is contained within one of the altar cloths that is laid down prior to the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Altar cloths like this are very common, particularly among missionaries, places where a single priest needs to travel between multiple communities to celebrate mass, or any other times when a priest is celebrating mass outside of the confines of a church. (e.g. Catholic priests serving as military chaplains always carry such an altar cloth when they're deployed.)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.