IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moments of Genius, Which little things in SR made you glad you are a fan?
Bashfull
post Apr 2 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,374

For me, the famous Acme Ritual Circle pic, a ripoff of Jackson Pollock. A moment of genius by Tim Bradstreet.

http://www.volny.cz/shadowrun/files/bradstreet_25.jpg

http://www.monroegallery.com/showcase/imag...sonPollock2.jpg

Then there's the section in one of the histories in which Arnie runs for president: SR called this before Arnie even went into politics!

Two highlights in an already amazing game. I also love the integrity Catalyst have had in staying true to the original feel of FASA while still keeping the game ahead of current tech.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 2 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I think Dunkelzahn's Will captured me, hook line and sinker.

Of course, the image that accompanied last year's Runner's Companion section on dragons (a dragon at a table performing some magic herbal stuff) would be one of those impressive moments of sheer genius.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 2 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Ancient History more or less.
Yes, the last Will.
BattleRun ^^

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 2 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

I really really loved the novels in the preying for keep series with Jack Skater and team that was just the finest example of SR for me. But The big d becoming pres then nuking himself kinda takes the cake.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 2 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 2 2009, 10:42 PM) *
Ancient History more or less

Aw, shucks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif)

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Apr 3 2009, 01:48 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

I don't know, I love all of the Shadowrun metaplot. I love how it takes the real world, and then goes off in a completely different direction. I like the idea that there's a sense of mystery behind places I've been to or know of. I love looking through the Bug City sourcebook, reading about places, and thinking "Frag, I've been there!". No other game but Shadowrun keeps that connection to the real world, but then twists it around in such a delightful way.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Apr 3 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (Bashfull @ Apr 2 2009, 05:29 PM) *
For me, the famous Acme Ritual Circle pic, a ripoff of Jackson Pollock. A moment of genius by Tim Bradstreet.

http://www.volny.cz/shadowrun/files/bradstreet_25.jpg

http://www.monroegallery.com/showcase/imag...sonPollock2.jpg

Then there's the section in one of the histories in which Arnie runs for president: SR called this before Arnie even went into politics!

Two highlights in an already amazing game. I also love the integrity Catalyst have had in staying true to the original feel of FASA while still keeping the game ahead of current tech.

So much of the 1st edition art still sticks in my mind as being, especially all the Tim Bradstreet pieces. I'm probably in the minority, but I still love Jeff Laubenstein's work too.

The descriptions of the original archetypes and especially the monologues - I really miss the monologues - really resonated with me. Still do. At the point that I picked up SR1, I'd never played a RPG that had that sort of grab-and-go character system.

The flavor-packed vignettes and short stories they've used throughout the editions... so many good ones that just set the mood.

-paws

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 3 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

The terrified look on the policeman's face as the van he is strapped upside down on the front off is recklessly sped by the gun-toting shadowrunners who stole it. The cover of Harlequinn also made a big impression on me when I first saw it as a kid.

Oh, and there's a "Six Demon Bag" in one of the books. Made me laugh out loud.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Apr 3 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

What got me was the gear books. There would be the picture of the item, the rules for it in the game, and then all the commentary from the Runners talking about it like some sort of demented knitting circle.

I most especially liked the byplay of Smiling Bandit and Wolfman in Shadowtech, when they were talking about the lung bioware that increased capacity... and then Wolfman wanting to kill Bandit because of dog breath (on the Toxin Exhailer page). That was priceless.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 3 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #10

Shadow Cartographer

Actually, if I'm really to pick a moment of genius, I'm going to say the "Corporate Shadowfiles" book. It's a bit long to call a moment, but from cover to cover that book was one of the best books I had ever read. It was rich in information, in atmosphere, in tantalising clues. I tracked down a copy years later and read it all over again. Chromed Accountant, you are missed!

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Apr 3 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

Deus Storyline. 'nuff said, i just love it.

+Quote Post
Uli
post Apr 3 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,291

Hatchetman's story about becoming a CZ. Absolutely incredible.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Apr 3 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

The BBS-like older books. Where you had people injecting their views throughout.
Hatchman's story, still hits me today.
The Sega game. It's what actually got me into the PnP rpg.
Shadowbeat, they pulled that off so well. Really brought the world to life for me.
There's more but all I can think of right now.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Apr 3 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Oh god, where to begin...

Probably my favorite game moment is the one where my girlfriend, completely on a whim, pushed a mob bosses' grandma into oncoming traffic and having to deal with the repercussions of that. It lead to a trip to Tokyo and assassinating fashion models while they were on the runway. Games like that make me really appreciate Shadowrun.

Gamewise, I would have to say the fact that the metaplot is this constantly evolving thing. Storylines from years ago pop up when one of the writers gets the urge or has a favorite character or plot and you get some really fascinating things from it. I'm a huge fan of SURGE (go on, stone me now) and how that was introduced in Year of the Comet; Dunkelzahn's Will, because I think SR was the first game to treat dragons as people - machiavellian, power-playing, constant one-upping people with a short fuse and loaded nuclear warheads for natural weapons - people with hopes, dreams, wants and needs. Dunkelzahn was my hero, and he still is; SOTA '64 and orxploitation; Peregrin from Renraku Shutdown - I was so happy to see that they kept her alive post RS; Pax from RS, who I think is still out there running plots; my most especial favorite though was Bug City - holy god, that book grabs you by the balls with its post-apocalyptic introduction and just keeps this grip on you as you keep reading. There's this real Aliens meets Terminator 2 feel to it that just sets off something wonderful in my head. I wouldn't have minded if the CZ had stuck around (keep in mind that I haven't read Feral Cities yet).

I also want to say that part of what really pulls the above books and metaplot off is how well the writers have always emulated online conversation. The message boards and shadow talk feel like real people commenting on today's news and weather and chance of being shot in the face, and you get distinct personalities from each of the shadow posters. I do miss the more "open range" feel of Shadownet, but Jackpoint's pretty good at keeping things together too.

And as much as I bitch and complain about the constant negativity around here, I love Dumpshock. You guys are funny, smart, and always hold my interest when I'm looking for five minutes to blow online. The devs actually talk to us like human beings and my fellow posters all sound like folk from Shadownet. There's conspiracies, hate-ons, in-jokes, rumor-monging, and just screwing around that makes this place just a fsking joy to be in.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Apr 3 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 3 2009, 03:17 AM) *
What got me was the gear books. There would be the picture of the item, the rules for it in the game, and then all the commentary from the Runners talking about it like some sort of demented knitting circle.

I most especially liked the byplay of Smiling Bandit and Wolfman in Shadowtech, when they were talking about the lung bioware that increased capacity... and then Wolfman wanting to kill Bandit because of dog breath (on the Toxin Exhailer page). That was priceless.

That is what I miss the most in SR4... the Shadowtalk byplay between all the commenters. There's not nearly enough of it.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Apr 3 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Bashfull @ Apr 3 2009, 12:29 AM) *

Lenina Huxley: I have, in fact, perused some newsreels in the Schwarzenegger Library, and the time that you took that car...
John Spartan: Hold it. The Schwarzenegger Library?
Lenina Huxley: Yes. The Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor when you...?
John Spartan: Stop! He was President?
Lenina Huxley: Yes! Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states...
John Spartan: I don't wanna know. President...

Demolition Man (1993)

+Quote Post
Uli
post Apr 3 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,291

After the "funny" Shadowtalk added to the German 3.01 books, you can't stand it anymore, trust me...

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 3 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 3 2009, 03:17 AM) *
Oh, and there's a "Six Demon Bag" in one of the books. Made me laugh out loud.

I couldn't write the Hong Kong setting without working a Six Demon Bag in somewhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 3 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

you could, you are just too much of a nerd not to do it ^^

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 3 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 3 2009, 01:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Bashfull)

Lenina Huxley: I have, in fact, perused some newsreels in the Schwarzenegger Library, and the time that you took that car...
Lenina Huxley: Yes. The Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor when you...?
Lenina Huxley: Yes! Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states...

Demolition Man (1993)

Bandersnatch entry:
>>>>>(You into old movies? Pre-simsense, I'm talking. Check out an old classic, Predator, with Arnold Schwarzeneggar before he went into politics. That's what the bleeder looks like, pretty close.)<<<<<
--Bladerunner (13:58:02/3-26-51)

Paranormal Animals of North America (1990)

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 3 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 3 2009, 08:03 AM) *
you could, you are just too much of a nerd not to do it ^^

Inconceivable!

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Apr 3 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Shadowtalk always did it for me. And the bandit was the man. I actually used that as my nick on IRC for years.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 3 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #23

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 3 2009, 01:46 PM) *
I couldn't write the Hong Kong setting without working a Six Demon Bag in somewhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yes, but what's in it?

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Apr 3 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 3 2009, 04:10 AM) *

Demolition Man (1993)

Normally, I turn off large portions of my brain to watch this kind of movie. Its not a bad thing, just suspension of disbelief. I wish I had noticed her last name was Huxley years ago.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Apr 3 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Apr 3 2009, 10:44 AM) *
Normally, I turn off large portions of my brain to watch this kind of movie. Its not a bad thing, just suspension of disbelief. I wish I had noticed her last name was Huxley years ago.

It wouldn't be a really, really loose interpretation of Brave New World otherwise. It's also why everyone keeps calling Spartan a savage.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.