IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Shadowrunners Best Practices v0.1, -or- Standard Operating Procedure & Tricks of the Trade
TeaTime
post Apr 4 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,819

Maybe it’s the corps with their seemly unlimited resources and thirst for revenge. Or perhaps it’s the house of cards that is organized crime, where a runner inevitably gets burned first and buried last. Or it could be the nest of vipers that populate the shadowrunning underground. With everyone potentially an enemy, paranoia is a necessary survival skill.

I’m working on a checkpoint list of a “runner’s best practices.� I’ve been reading the forums for clever ideas, and I’d like thoughts and contributions. Ideally, this list could be handed to my GM as a kind of Standard Operating Procedure. So, what tricks would a runner have in place to watch his back, outsmart problems before they arrive, and generally keep as safe as possible?

Cyberware
• Cyberware: Skillwires, Skillwire Expert System, Cyberhand, Nanohive, Autoinjector & Datajack are hardwired, no wireless connection. These are hardwired connected to internal Commlink, with a connection that is disabled until activated with a manual switch hidden inside fingertip compartment.

Commlink
• Internal Commlink is turned off via DNI until needed. When activated, defaults to run encrypted and in hidden mode.
• “Public� Commlink contains no files and secure wipes after every communication. Public Comm is physically turned off on runs.
• Sensors records are all encrypted and stored at secure anonymous off-site. Files are protected with data bomb, and can only be accessed by providing approved biometrics within the correct 1/4 second time period per day. Content auto-deletes after two weeks unless specifically saved.
• All software code and interface is in Arabic, and uses personalized, nonstandard OS with custom input protocols.
• Facial/Image/Gait analysis software continually compares sensor records looking for potential tails. Alert is posted if unrecognized, improbable matches are detected.
• Radio Signal Scanner and Scan program continually and automatically run passively, and work to identify, catalog, triangulate and associate transmissions in area.
• Agents on Commlink constantly scans with Analyze to detect signs of intrusion. Alert posts if intrusion detected.
• Separate instance of Analyze runs continually on Commlink to detect intrusion and status of Agent. Alert posts if intrusion detected.
• Agents will initiate dynamic (re)encryption if decryption attempt detected.

Gear
• All gear has RFID tags physically removed.
• Admin access required for all devices. All other levels disabled.
• Signal transmission power for all gear automatically scales down to minimum distance based on proximity.
• All signals are encrypted.

Procedure
• During meets, no food or drink is consumed, even if ordered. Surfaces are wiped down afterwards to remove fingerprints.
• Every night, gear is cleaned and tag erased. Gear is weighed to identify hardened and stealth tags.
• After every run, all software (including BIOs) is scanned and compared against backup copies at secure anonymous off-site.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Apr 4 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #2

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (TeaTime @ Apr 3 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Procedure
• During meets, no food or drink is consumed, even if ordered. Surfaces are wiped down afterwards to remove fingerprints.

wow. really? I mean really?.

I think a better idea would be to avoid pissing off people with the ability to do ritual magic. and whom you have dinner with regularly.

as for fingerprints: wear gloves.

+Quote Post
TeaTime
post Apr 4 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Apr 3 2009, 09:05 PM) *
wow. really? I mean really?.

Really.

Aiming for a level of high paranoia while keeping some professionalism.
Track what you touch during the meet, and I figure a quick wipe off with a small prepared cloth wouldn't be noticed (After all, I know I've certainly lifted Johnson's prints after he's left the building).

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 4 2009, 04:49 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Always, ALWAYS edit video footage of a 'run.

Wear (nano)masks and have (preferrably) nanotattoos, as they can easily and quickly change shade/color/image/shading to radically alter your profile.

Homeground/Adaptability your personalized Agent program surfing you're PAN. If possible, use a Sprite instead.

Admin access required for all devices. All other levels disabled.

AKA: Slave all sensitive gear to Master-node PAN. Preferrably run all other sensitive peripherials on Hidden mode as well.

EDIT: Instead of wiping everything down, wear AR gloves. They're commonplace and useful.

Also, wear a respirator at all times and if asked, say something to the effect of "My allergies are acting up again." Reinforce this with random coughs. The respirator will break up your profile, making it more difficult to trace you. Respirators are also commonplace in the 6th world (especially in Aztlan), so this tactic shouldn't draw any attention.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Apr 4 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Wear masks and gloves when doing things you don't want people to know about. Avoid having people put holes in your body. It hurts and it's really hard to get all traces of your blood off the ceiling.

Avoid making personal enemies. No matter what you made on a run if it involved pissing off a director at Knight Errant or the chief of detectives at Lone Star it didn't pay enough. Ritual mages are not cheap, but when you become a pain in their multimillion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) budget they can afford them.

+Quote Post
TeaTime
post Apr 4 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

All great stuff... Exactly what I was looking for!
Keep em coming!

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 4 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Seriously with my nano-tat idea. Have you ever seen an image of a popular movie star without makeup on and been like "who's that?" Amplify that a couple times.

Adding to the list:

Don't forget that an armored jacket adds for encumberance: normal ones don't. Preferred armor is based off the Evo HEL Suit (just pure awsome for cost), augmented with FFBA and PPP system supplements. Wear normal clothes over it (preferrably multiple layers), ending in a jacket or two (normal jacket, trench-styled). In the event that you really need to change your look, remove some of the layers.

Don't be afraid to carry some dirt-cheap RFID tags to create dummy DOTs, simulating clothing brands, foodstuffs recently eaten, and other such "backround noise" in order to not be a hawk against the starlight (easier to find by the absence of light). RFID tags can in this way help you hide in plain (and annoying) sight.

+Quote Post
Necro Sanct
post Apr 4 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 17,019

These should be the available options when it comes to things involving fingerprints as related to physical evidence and security devices. I would favor using my own fingerprints, as they are required for various legitimate reasons, as opposed to relying on always trying to disguise or hide them which can draw attention in itself. Numerous books (Runner's Companion, Lone Star, Corporate Security) include further info which can help in creating new operating procedures depending on the situation and actors involved.

Altskin (Newprint) / Nanopaste
Cost: 1,500 ¥ + (Rating x 200 ¥) / 500 ¥ (small container) or 1,000 ¥ (large container)
Benefits: Does not leave physical fingerprints.
Drawbacks: Only lasts for 24 hours. Unsure if the "flakes" or the use of this in general can be traced back and if so to what extent.

Cellular Glove Molder
Cost: Rating x 200 ¥
Benefits: A very nice option in my opinion for activating personal equipment especially in the event it has to be hastily discarded.
Drawbacks: I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

Dynamic Handprinting
Cost: Rating x 1,000 ¥
Benefits and Drawbacks: Bypassing is based on the quality of both the security device and the Dynamic Handprint.

Fingerprint Removal
Cost: 100 to 2,000 ¥
Benefits: Should not leave a fingerprint (see drawbacks).
Drawbacks: As with all biosculpting procedures, you get what you pay for. A major issue here is the lose of legitimate fingerprint biometric access or a completely new defining print in the case of a sloppy sculpt job. This in itself makes this one of the worst options unless you live completely off the grid.

Magic Fingers (Spell)
Benefits: Doesn't leave a fingerprint, at least not a physical one.
Drawbacks: Possible astral signature detection.

Now that the easy issue is covered, how do you plan on handling the real pesky stuff like hair, skin, fluids and all the other stuff that could possibly identify you?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 4 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

My advice:

Watch your back.
Shoot Straight.
Conserve Ammo.
Never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

That's all the advice I was ever given. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
suppenhuhn
post Apr 4 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,682

Wear pink mohawks.
Solve payment issues with arm wrestling.
Be on as many drugs as you wish, you're not in it for the money after all.
Hurl beer cans at guards.
Defecate in the CEO's office.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 4 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (TeaTime @ Apr 4 2009, 04:59 AM) *
Maybe it’s the corps with their seemly unlimited resources and thirst for revenge. Or perhaps it’s the house of cards that is organized crime, where a runner inevitably gets burned first and buried last. Or it could be the nest of vipers that populate the shadowrunning underground. With everyone potentially an enemy, paranoia is a necessary survival skill.

I’m working on a checkpoint list of a “runner’s best practices.� I’ve been reading the forums for clever ideas, and I’d like thoughts and contributions. Ideally, this list could be handed to my GM as a kind of Standard Operating Procedure. So, what tricks would a runner have in place to watch his back, outsmart problems before they arrive, and generally keep as safe as possible?

Cyberware
• Cyberware: Skillwires, Skillwire Expert System, Cyberhand, Nanohive, Autoinjector & Datajack are hardwired, no wireless connection. These are hardwired connected to internal Commlink, with a connection that is disabled until activated with a manual switch hidden inside fingertip compartment.

Commlink
• Internal Commlink is turned off via DNI until needed. When activated, defaults to run encrypted and in hidden mode.
• “Public� Commlink contains no files and secure wipes after every communication. Public Comm is physically turned off on runs.
• Sensors records are all encrypted and stored at secure anonymous off-site. Files are protected with data bomb, and can only be accessed by providing approved biometrics within the correct 1/4 second time period per day. Content auto-deletes after two weeks unless specifically saved.
• All software code and interface is in Arabic, and uses personalized, nonstandard OS with custom input protocols.
• Facial/Image/Gait analysis software continually compares sensor records looking for potential tails. Alert is posted if unrecognized, improbable matches are detected.
• Radio Signal Scanner and Scan program continually and automatically run passively, and work to identify, catalog, triangulate and associate transmissions in area.
• Agents on Commlink constantly scans with Analyze to detect signs of intrusion. Alert posts if intrusion detected.
• Separate instance of Analyze runs continually on Commlink to detect intrusion and status of Agent. Alert posts if intrusion detected.
• Agents will initiate dynamic (re)encryption if decryption attempt detected.

Gear
• All gear has RFID tags physically removed.
• Admin access required for all devices. All other levels disabled.
• Signal transmission power for all gear automatically scales down to minimum distance based on proximity.
• All signals are encrypted.

Procedure
• Every night, gear is cleaned and tag erased. Gear is weighed to identify hardened and stealth tags.
• After every run, all software (including BIOs) is scanned and compared against backup copies at secure anonymous off-site.

• Skinlink EVERYTHING.
  • Use programmable RFID tags that can be turned off, so you can use them to appear as the normal wageslave (or whatever is appropriate) and tell them to shut up when radio frequency emissions are undesiderable.
  • Use a crappy (or whatever is appropriate) comlink to reroot your true comlink, whoever analizes the node sees a crappy firewall but if he tries to hack it he/she/it is rerooted to the true firewall (mainly to provide a minimum of cover and blend better with the bacground, could Joe Wageslave afford a rating 6 firewall?).
  • Make extensive use of software suits and ergonomic options, and make sure that you system and all your programs are approved from the competent quality control institution (your hacker).
  • Use multiple layers of encryptation.
  • Refusing to eat might result in pissing off Mr. Johnson, but taking no steps to protect yourself is unwise; use wide spectrum antidote slap patches/nanites (and keep a spirit of the man ready with Detox and Heal Spells just in case).
  • For fingerprints there are cellular gloves so you can frame someone else (my enemy is my best scapegoat).
  • Use latx mask/Altskin, contact lenses, or cover yourself with respirator, AR goggles and maybe a hooded jacket.
  • Disable the right of erasing the main log of your comlink for users with an amministrative account (that can be restored in secure places if necessary), do the same for your subscribed node and for the right to tell them to slave to another PAN (so no more having your ID spoofed and smartgun/drone slaved to someone else).

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 4 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Apr 4 2009, 12:40 PM) *
Wear pink mohawks.

No the mohawk has to be purple, pink is out of style.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Knowledge Skill: Shadowrunning(or similar) Procedures 6 (or as high as you can get it)

Everything else is fluff. Even if you know that a runner should do something, doesn't mean that your PC knows that. Using out-of-character knowledge like those presented above to gain an in-game advantage(preventing NPCs or game world circumstances from screwing you over) is cheating in my book.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Apr 4 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

• Local area, politics, history, law, and customs knowsofts are mandatory if you're not a local.
  • Linguasoft in a local accent. Even if you are a local.
  • Reread your SIN details on a weekly basis.

+Quote Post
Kingboy
post Apr 4 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,907

QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 4 2009, 08:41 AM) *
Using out-of-character knowledge like those presented above to gain an in-game advantage(preventing NPCs or game world circumstances from screwing you over) is cheating in my book.

Well, it's a little beardy if the character isn't a raving paranoid. If the character is that paranoid, he's going to have his own problems. I've known Johnsons that would have been quite offended (and probably stopped the meeting then and there) if runners refused to eat a meal provided for them.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Apr 4 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Recent hacker paranoia in our group. He won't hack unless he's set up two rooms with los to each other. Uses laser link with rfid camera to catch anyone thats traced him to the first room so he can make his getaway.

Virus to wipe out any trace of teams actions before logging out of a system. Constant hacking of patrol drones and traffic systems to assist in clean getaways.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 4 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #17

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Apr 4 2009, 04:40 AM) *
Wear pink mohawks.

I was about to post about how this "hard core professional that never screws up and always does everything the same way" nonsense gets kinda old after a while, but you have prevented my nerdrage asplosion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 4 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 4 2009, 04:59 AM) *
My advice:

Watch your back.
Shoot Straight.
Conserve Ammo.
Never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

That's all the advice I was ever given. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But trust me on the dragons.

+Quote Post
Red-ROM
post Apr 4 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,787

yea, the reality is, the GM is gonna throw whatever he wants at you anyway, so have a beer, smoke, and wear your guns in quick draw holsters

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 4 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #20

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Apr 4 2009, 05:40 AM) *
Wear pink mohawks.

Win.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #21

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Kingboy @ Apr 4 2009, 11:01 PM) *
Well, it's a little beardy if the character isn't a raving paranoid. If the character is that paranoid, he's going to have his own problems. I've known Johnsons that would have been quite offended (and probably stopped the meeting then and there) if runners refused to eat a meal provided for them.

What is beardy about not allowing the player to skate pass in-game using his knowledge instead of his character's?

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Apr 5 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

My feelings on the subject can be quickly summed up with one picture.

http://mirror.servut.us/kuvat/motivation/shadowrun.jpg

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 5 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

That made me laugh like crazy. I don't necessarily agree with that picture though (paranoid: yes, shadowrun-y: not really).

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 5 2009, 02:34 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 4 2009, 06:47 PM) *
That made me laugh like crazy. I don't necessarily agree with that picture though (paranoid: yes, shadowrun-y: not really).

It fits in with a hardcore black-trenchcoat game.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 5 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 4 2009, 06:12 PM) *

I have skipped this one because dragons aren't standard runner's fare, but having already been brought up the dragon theme:

Never sexualy harass a dragon.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.