Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shapeshifters, ...just my 5 cents
Machiavelli
post Apr 5 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Right at the moment i´m creating a shapeshifter-character (Tiger-Form) and some questions came to my mind. If he changes into animal-form, he should also gain the following advantages like described in the cyberware- or surge descriptions:

- balance tail
- Satyr legs
- camo fur
- insulating pelt

Up to now I didn´t see that shapeshifters would get any of the mentioned advantages (more dice for athletic or balancing tests etc.) but the should have them if you think twice about it. How would you houserule that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 5 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

No, cyber tail and satre legs are cybernetically boosted, not just a metal recreation of the look.

as for insulation and camo fur, that's you're GM's call. A tiger's stripes are designed to be camo in a particualr terrain, but in the markedly different terrain of say, the Pacific North West where tigers are not indigounous it would not be as effective. Likewise the fur should give some protection from the elements-real tigers don't wear clothes, but out of the natural environment oyu will be at a disadvantage. I mean a polar bear shifter is designed for arctic cold, a tiger is from am uch warmer climate.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Apr 5 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

We found the increased movement rate (15/50) and superhuman agility sufficient when we build my GF´s tiger shifter. No need to worry there.

Ask your GM if you can buy a fitting pelt quality with BP. A no would be surprising from a GM that lets you play a shifter in the first place.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 5 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

I would play an siberian tiger^^. Of course a balance tail and the like are cybernetically versions, but they are versions from natural equivalents. So every anymal should have these advantages. Surge-changings are natural as well and they provide the same bonuses.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 5 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 5 2009, 08:46 AM) *
I would play an siberian tiger^^. Of course a balance tail and the like are cybernetically versions, but they are versions from natural equivalents. So every anymal should have these advantages. Surge-changings are natural as well and they provide the same bonuses.

Would it really matter... the Shapeshifter would be compensating by the increase in their attributes... seems like a good compromise to me... But the suggestion of buying the relevant quality with BP's is a good one... not sure that any GM would mind, as long as it was legal at creation... Heck, some GM's would even let you purchase it with Karma after creation...

My Two Cents

+Quote Post
Zurai
post Apr 5 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,964

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 5 2009, 10:27 AM) *
No, cyber tail and satre legs are cybernetically boosted, not just a metal recreation of the look.

Incorrect. Those are both SURGE qualities and have nothing whatsoever to do with cyberware.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Apr 6 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

@Machiavelli
If you Pay for the advantages ,then it would be Ok .Everything else is unfair to the other Players

with a fair Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Apr 7 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Yoah,shapeshifters are overpowered anyway, so all these advantages would be a little bit too much. It´s not that I don´t agree with you, it was just about how it "should be". You know?^^ So thank you very much for your opinions. Other questions will follow.^^

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 8 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Apr 7 2009, 07:26 AM) *
Yoah,shapeshifters are overpowered anyway, so all these advantages would be a little bit too much. It´s not that I don´t agree with you, it was just about how it "should be". You know?^^ So thank you very much for your opinions. Other questions will follow.^^

Always glad to be of assistance, Assuming that I actually was...

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 8 2009, 05:20 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

As far as the proposed advantages:

- balance tail
This is neither the SURGE nor the cybered equivalent - it is a normal tail, and its effects on the balance of a quadruped are negligible at best.

- Satyr legs
A tiger is a quadruped, and their advantages over a human are already simulated with a higher movement rate.

- camo fur
Tiger fur does not change colors. You do not want your GM to go this route. You would have a bonus in one type of terrain, and a penalty in all other types of terrain. NOT an advantage.

- insulating pelt
All that the fur does is function as the equivalent of normal clothing for a human.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 9 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Glyph @ Apr 7 2009, 10:20 PM) *
As far as the proposed advantages:

- balance tail
This is neither the SURGE nor the cybered equivalent - it is a normal tail, and its effects on the balance of a quadruped are negligible at best.

- Satyr legs
A tiger is a quadruped, and their advantages over a human are already simulated with a higher movement rate.

- camo fur
Tiger fur does not change colors. You do not want your GM to go this route. You would have a bonus in one type of terrain, and a penalty in all other types of terrain. NOT an advantage.

- insulating pelt
All that the fur does is function as the equivalent of normal clothing for a human.

On Second Thought... All Very True...

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 9 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Urmm...

The satyr legs are expressed as your greater movement rate while in tiger form.

The camo fur is expressed as your greater agility, thereby making Infiltration easier.

The insulating pelt is expressed as your greater body, making resisting Fatigue damage from climates easier.

The higher stats do more than just that, but think of it that way.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 10 2009, 03:31 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 8 2009, 09:38 PM) *
Urmm...

The satyr legs are expressed as your greater movement rate while in tiger form.

The camo fur is expressed as your greater agility, thereby making Infiltration easier.

The insulating pelt is expressed as your greater body, making resisting Fatigue damage from climates easier.

The higher stats do more than just that, but think of it that way.

As I said in an earlier post... the Stat adjustments tend to compensate for the qualities that have been under discussion...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.