Reply to this topicStart new topic
> grenades and mini grenades
Bellisarrius
post Apr 6 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,054

shouldnt the damage values be different for these or am I the only one thinking this way...

I was running a run for my group and one of my guys took a mini grenades launcher (the pistol one from the arsenal book) over the big drum fed one

just by size difference alone I would figure they should have different dmg sets between mini grenades and handheld/other launched grenades of the 40mm type

and hiya folks first time poster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the_real_elwood
post Apr 6 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,349

I always thought that mini grenades were the launched ones and that normal grenades were the handheld/thrown type. Maybe I was misreading the rules?

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Apr 6 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Bellisarrius @ Apr 6 2009, 06:15 AM) *
I was running a run for my group and one of my guys took a mini grenades launcher (the pistol one from the arsenal book) over the big drum fed one

just by size difference alone I would figure they should have different dmg sets between mini grenades and handheld/other launched grenades of the 40mm type

Both of those launchers fire same minigrenades

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Apr 6 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Apr 5 2009, 10:41 PM) *
I always thought that mini grenades were the launched ones and that normal grenades were the handheld/thrown type. Maybe I was misreading the rules?

I don't think so. I think your right. Handheld grenades are designed to be thrown and as such the firing mechanism is usually done the centre of the grenade and the explosive around that. They make them bulky on purpose (so they are easier to throw).
Mini grenades are just the explosive with a dedicator cap on the tip. They are designed to be as aerodynamic as possible and will travel farther then a hand thrown grenade. Both contain the same amount of explosive though.

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Apr 6 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

I've always founf SR grenades to be a little confusing too when they had Offensive and Defensive variants on top of areodynamic, non-aerodynamic, mini-grenades, hand grenades, air-timed, AP, HE, and IPE to name but a few.

Here's how I figured it out. Hand grenades are the usual pineapples that you lob. Aerodynamic versions can be thrown further but have less space and so forfiet a boobytrap mechanism and pack less explosives which reduces their blast radius. If you wanted an aerodynamic version of a smoke or gas hand grenade, it would also have a shorter volume and release duration.

Now, mini-grenades I saw as shotgun shell sized explosive rounds that can be stored within an underbarrel launcher that has a multiple shot magazine (think Aliens and that pulse rifle). These I rate and defensive and they explode with the reduced radius attributed to the aerodynamic hand grenades. no smoke of gas versions are available for these sorts of launcher.

The other type of launcher grenade is the good old 40mmm thumper. Single shell firing underbarrel launcher or a bulky cylinder magazine weapon (a la Predator). These fire larger grenades equivalent to the hand grenade versions and have full area blast effect and can also be used for gas or smoke rounds.

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 6 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

Pretty right on description there. Also though there is a distinct price difference if i remember right maybe they equal damage because different grades of explosives to compensate for size and a standard dv to keep things simple.

+Quote Post
Bellisarrius
post Apr 6 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 17,054

well ok most of those points make sense ....im just saying from the look of the pistol grenade launcher and the big drum fed one on the same page of the arsenal book....you might figure one would have a bigger warhead then the other ...but yah I can see for ease of use and using higher grade explosives to get around that

thanks for the input folks

now to come up with a reason why one of my runners cant have the pistol mini grenade launcher burst fire capable

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 6 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

Possibly too big of a cartridge to be able to cycle so fast in such a small frame. A prototype could be designed but i would use mono filament glitch rules with it and a whole lotta threshold for design.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Apr 6 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Bellisarrius @ Apr 6 2009, 09:09 PM) *
well ok most of those points make sense ....im just saying from the look of the pistol grenade launcher and the big drum fed one on the same page of the arsenal book....you might figure one would have a bigger warhead then the other ...but yah I can see for ease of use and using higher grade explosives to get around that

That drumfed launcher has an ammo capasity of 20 grenades, so i really can't understand how you could thing that it fires something like 40mm grenades.
For reference here is a 6-shot drumfed grenade launcher firing 40mm grenades.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.