Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emotitoy, Reloads flamethrower
Prime Mover
post Apr 6 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

I didn't feel like digging through 500 threads so thought I'd just post a thought here. If it's already been mentioned just disregard.

Reading through the changes document for SR4A I noticed diagnostics sprite power has been made a teamwork test. Why not do the same with the Emotitoy bonus it seems like a reasonable fix for people not liking the straight bonus.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Apr 6 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,229

Not bad.

Personally, my only real objections to the emotioys are:

1) No runner or contact would actually bring these to a meet. "Nice limited edition Squigglepuff Cherry you've got there, Mr., erm, Bonegrinder. My 6 year old daughter has been looking for one of those for months."

2) The bonus was too high for too little money.

-paws

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 6 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Come on, you know the big, tough Shadowrunners would love to have the cute, pink thing hanging around their neck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Actually, I can see a Black Market Dealer wanting to Hijack a Transport full of these just before the Christmas Rush in order to sell at a substancial increase in price... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Apr 6 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 6 2009, 09:48 AM) *
Actually, I can see a Black Market Dealer wanting to Hijack a Transport full of these just before the Christmas Rush in order to sell at a substancial increase in price... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

I can see that. Especially if emotitoys rank anything like Cabbage Patch or Elmo in the 2070's.

+Quote Post
mercurywave
post Apr 6 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 16,931

When I was an Armorer I had a Furby in my arms room sitting next to the rack of 50cals. I don't see why a cybered troll runner with a cute little plush toy would look odd...erm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 6 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (mercurywave @ Apr 6 2009, 05:11 PM) *
When I was an Armorer I had a Furby in my arms room sitting next to the rack of 50cals. I don't see why a cybered troll runner with a cute little plush toy would look odd...erm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Brings up in my mind the immageof a troll mercenary asleep holding tight his teddy bear and his SMG. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 6 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

There are innumerable house rules for emotitoys, from outright bans to limiting when the dice pool can apply and so on. I don't actually have a problem with runners having them with them, regardless how lame they look. I just don't like the way they work by RAW, nor do I like the fact that it's cheaper to buy a whole one, rather than just the software.

Not a lot of point getting into it all again.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Apr 6 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

QUOTE (paws2sky @ Apr 6 2009, 09:25 AM) *
Not bad.

Personally, my only real objections to the emotioys are:

1) No runner or contact would actually bring these to a meet. "Nice limited edition Squigglepuff Cherry you've got there, Mr., erm, Bonegrinder. My 6 year old daughter has been looking for one of those for months."

2) The bonus was too high for too little money.

-paws

No reason you couldn't remove the sensor from the furry and put it in some more menacing Knick knack.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 6 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Apr 6 2009, 11:08 AM) *
No reason you couldn't remove the sensor from the furry and put it in some more menacing Knick knack.

Or get the "Action Figure" equivilent to it. I mean, what Johnson is going to comment about a "Captain Capitalism" figurine? After all, he works for the betterment of all Megacorporations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Apr 6 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I like my emotitoys to look like Voight-Kampf machines.

-Chrysalis

+Quote Post
The Mack
post Apr 6 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,972

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 6 2009, 10:48 PM) *
Come on, you know the big, tough Shadowrunners would love to have the cute, pink thing hanging around their neck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

In Neo-Tokyo they might.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Apr 6 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #12

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

My rigger has an emotoy that a spider like thing its modded to included a shit load of software to help him out. Autosoft for software and a few knowledge skills plus sensors as well as a mook agent with a persona fix to make a drone pet for him.

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 6 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

I don't get the cute jokes . There funny and all but you can get em customed however you want. A little T-100 or a miniature secretary to go along with meets I think it's cool as hell.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Apr 6 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

I still don't understand how everybody seems to read the emotitoy entry in Arsenal in a way that makes the toy give a character bonus dice, becouse it doesnt say that.
It's the toy that has the software and can use it, there is no mention of the owner getting the benefit of the empathy software the toy has.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 6 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

In my opinion emotitoys shouldn't be usable to recive bonusses to social tests, they are just ridicolous, and how are they supposed to tell you what the result of the analisis is?

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 6 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

You could just wireless receive the results from the empathy software... right?

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 6 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (ICPiK @ Apr 6 2009, 07:24 PM) *
You could just wireless receive the results from the empathy software... right?

It could be done but I don't think that the toy's system has the option of being employed as a periferal node, it would probably require to patch the system; and even so if I were Mr. Johnson and my potential employes came to the meeting with one of those I wouldn't think great things about them, not to mention that anyone knowing about emphaty software is going to know about emotitoys, making the presence of the plush quite explicit about its use (making Johnson much less inclined to give in to any request of the runners and effectively negating the advantage).

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Apr 6 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Could you copy the software out of the thingy and stick in a headware system?

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 6 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 6 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Could you copy the software out of the thingy and stick in a headware system?

The software should be modified to add an interface understandable by the user (you cant feed the user binary sequences that it would feed to a node), but yes it can be done, what I do not like is the idea of a formal meeting in which everyone has a furby on his/hers shoulder, running emphaty soft is a thing, going around with a plush isn't exactly ....... cyberpunk?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 6 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

it's more punk than cyber.
i still believe that was put in to see who would really go along with furby just for more bonus dice . .

+Quote Post
Larme
post Apr 6 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

SR4A did limit them to a certain extent, it provides that you cannot have more bonus dice to social skills than your skill + attribute. So at least a troll with 1 charisma 1 Influence won't be throwing 8 dice for every social test.

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 6 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

You guys just never got enough toys when you were children. LOL. Another thing to i don't understand why anyone but the face actualy sits down with the johnson. Having them in the area for back up is great but i would never have my Meat shield or rigger who have no skills for social and are prone to too many farts @ the dinner table there face to face.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 6 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (ICPiK @ Apr 6 2009, 06:03 PM) *
You guys just never got enough toys when you were children. LOL. Another thing to i don't understand why anyone but the face actualy sits down with the johnson. Having them in the area for back up is great but i would never have my Meat shield or rigger who have no skills for social and are prone to too many farts @ the dinner table there face to face.

Face meets with Johnson.
Johnson offers 50,000.
Face agrees, gets paid half.
Face pockets some.
Face goes to party.
Face says, "He's paying us 30 grand. Paid Half up front."
Party goes "Ok. You couldn't possibly be lying."

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 6 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

I don't know about you but, I would never run with someone i couldn't trust standing behind me with an assault riffle let alone 10 grand. If your having a proper meet, your hacker should have audio as well as video established though exploits. Your Sam should be mingling @ the bar and the rigger patched through to the feed in the ride. The reason for having a face is so the whole team doesn't have to expose themselves, and to represent the team and assure the Johnson that he is not hiring anti social axe murders for a data steal. If the Face happened to have say a pendant that looked like a mechanical scorpion thats tail and eyes twitched every now and then I don't think it would be such a weird thing compared to satanist albino weapons expert with puff the magic dragon burping smoke knocking over the Johnson drinks.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 6 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Then we can agree: most if not all of the party shows up but only the face sits down with the Johnson.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.