Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nephilim, Bringing Apocrypha into Shadowrun
Chrysalis
post Apr 7 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,048

Nephilim are beings who appear in the Hebrew Bible, specifically in the Book of Genesis, and are also mentioned in other Biblical texts and in some non-canonical Jewish writings. Genesis Chapter 6, verses 1 through 4 describe the origin of the Nephilim:

"Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown."

A while ago when I was thinking of Behind the Shadows, the game I am running on the forums here, I thought of a dead ended story arc concept, which would be the use of several divine hosts and three celestial choirs. The idea was that Gabriel and Michael with the departure of God from Heaven end up squabbling about the role of man. Each believe that they have a role in the cryptic instructions left by God.

Slowly there is a division and a battle and Heaven reaches closer to man. Equally Hell takes on the role of the Sixth World. The manifestation of elves, dwarves, orcs, and trolls are but the manifestation of Hell in the Sixth World. Some of the fallen angels take on the roles of dragons.

It is a definitely a darker and grittier Shadowrun. There is the underlying question is the Sixth World actually hell and that those who live in it are but manifestations of the damned.

The Nephilim would be the silent fourth front to this war. Wanting to being about a different kind of hell, one where they had mastery of men as they did of old. They lie in the shadows and wait, waiting for the apocalypse which is inexorably nearing.

It would be a way to sort of bring in concepts from In Nomine into the game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Apr 7 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Check out Douglas Rushkoff's Testament. You may find it interesting.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 7 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

While I'm all for obscure occultism of all stripes, the main problem with including Nephilim is that it explicitly confirms one or more belief systems as "real" or "true" - whereas in SR all belief systems could be seen as implicitly correct (or incorrect, if you prefer) in that all are equally valid in terms of the manipulation of magic and none have unique manifestations of their beliefs.

Well, except for insect spirits. (All hail the Original Insect!)

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Apr 7 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

What's wrong with confirming one set of belief systems as "true"? I am not writing Shadowrun; I am simply choosing to think about what kind of world would it be if the mystical side of the world was built in accordance to the apocrypha removed on the behest of the Council of Mycenae.

The problem of having other religions (actually the Nephilim neatly saddle the divides from Judaism to Islam), is not of their validity (I am all for the religions), but it is a question of genre and storytelling.

The inspiration for the original post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prophecy

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 7 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

While The Prophecy is a terrific movie, and nephilim are based on actual Christian theology, mythology, and apocrypha, they're not very appropriate to Shadowrun, any more than the sin eaters presented in The Order or the holy shotgun of Constantine would be. Cool on their own, but not appropos for most SR games unless you're going for an explicitly biblical twist. Otherwise we end up with another Black Madonna, SR's own version of The Da Vinci Code (albeit with a much better plot).

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Apr 7 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

What's Black Madonna?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Apr 7 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 7 2009, 10:11 AM) *
While I'm all for obscure occultism of all stripes, the main problem with including Nephilim is that it explicitly confirms one or more belief systems as "real" or "true" - whereas in SR all belief systems could be seen as implicitly correct (or incorrect, if you prefer) in that all are equally valid in terms of the manipulation of magic and none have unique manifestations of their beliefs.

Well, except for insect spirits. (All hail the Original Insect!)

Except these particular manifestations of beliefs could be considered to be just that, mana given form by the beliefs of millions and shaped by the subconscious archetypes maintained by the believers.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 7 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Which is fine, if all beliefs manifest equally. If you want nephilim to start showing up alongside afrits, the Garuda bird, and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, knock yourself out. Preferential treatment for one religion over another is counter to how SR works right now (let's avoid the whole "proof of a religion ruins belief in a religion" schtick, not in the mood).

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 7 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Apr 7 2009, 07:22 PM) *
What's Black Madonna?

A Novel, more or less the Shadowrun Version of the Da Vinci Code.
Before the Da Vinci Code got big.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 7 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

1982: Holy Blood, Holy Grail
1996: Black Madonna
2003: The Da Vinci Code

Please note, both books essentially stole the core conceit of their respective plots from Holy Blood, Holy Grail. The difference is that Black Madonna is at least well-written and entertaining, if still over-the-top-insane, while Dan Brown makes my brain want to chew its way out of my skull.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 7 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

i liked it somehow . . some funny scenes in there ^^

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Apr 7 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

I found the Da Vinci Code entertaining as airport novels go.

While I have read Holy Blood, Holy Grail which is an amusing piece of pseudohistorical fiction based on the forged Dossiers Secrets d'Henri Lobineau. I still liked Eco's Foucault's Pendulum more.

+Quote Post
The Mack
post Apr 7 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,972

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 8 2009, 02:29 AM) *
Preferential treatment for one religion over another is counter to how SR works right now (let's avoid the whole "proof of a religion ruins belief in a religion" schtick, not in the mood).

I agree.

Which is why I think a name other than "Shedim" should have been chosen.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 7 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #14

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Nephilim are oftentimes described as giants (that, or their half-human offspring are). Perhaps coincidentally, several other major religions, including the Norse religion, describes giants wandering the land during pre-history. If you feel AH's comments are valid (and they may or may not be, based on how much you like the canon books and flavor), it is nearly trivial to convert your nephilim to a more broad-base 'superhuman giants/angel creatures' and apply to several religions simultaneously.

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Apr 7 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

QUOTE (The Mack @ Apr 7 2009, 10:12 AM) *
I agree.

I prefere the term "Frakking Zombie Jellyfish"

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 7 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Granted, the Shedim don't call themselves Shedim. They probably don't even respond to that name. It's just the term the Sixth World applied to them.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 7 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

While I think AH's comments are reasonable in the context of maintaining the SR product line, I think this would be an interesting theme for a house game, especially if the PCs were members of a religous order or some such.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Apr 7 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #18

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (The Mack @ Apr 7 2009, 11:12 AM) *
I agree.

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 7 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Granted, the Shedim don't call themselves Shedim. They probably don't even respond to that name. It's just the term the Sixth World applied to them.

Weeelllllll..... it's the term applied by SR writers to entities in the Sixth World, as if it had been applied by Sixth World citizens to whom the word Shedim was especially meaningful, very much in the fashion Ancient History suggests is inappropriate for SR writers to apply terms. Hence The Mack's retort.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 7 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

There is a difference. People call them shedim, but very few actually consider them the shedim of Jewish myth. In Shadowrun, many critters and species are called by names drawn from old mythology (which is just a polite term for somebody else's religion), but which are not literally intended to be those creatures of myth. Calling a critter an elf is a recognition of its superficial similarity to the popular conception of what is an elf, which has changed considerably over time. Calling a critter a vampire because it appears to die and then has to drink blood to survive doesn't mean that the critter takes on all the mythical attributes of the vampire (if that were even possible), and its (general) lack of reaction to holy symbols and cultural superstitions reinforces the concept that no one culture is absolutely correct, while at the same time suggesting that the ancient myths and legends of those cultures may be relevant today and worthy of scrutiny for the factual information they do contain.

So yes, it's one thing to have very tall metahumans and call them nephilim, and something else again for them to actually be the nephilim of myth. Shadowrun works well with the former, SR even works well for the latter if it is a pocket belief held by a subset of the population who the rest of the world believes to be crazy religious fanatics.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 7 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Wonder if there is a reason for Nephilim and Nifflheim looking/sounding so similar to each other O.o

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Apr 7 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 4,923

I always saw the Nephelim (in the SR Universe) as leftover legends from Earthdawn myself, allegorical examples of Dragonkin and their descendants

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Apr 7 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 8 2009, 01:18 AM) *
Wonder if there is a reason for Nephilim and Nifflheim looking/sounding so similar to each other O.o
Coincidence.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 7 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

yeeaah . . suuree . .

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Apr 7 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Are you serious?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 8 2009, 12:42 AM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

If you do not see one conspiracy hidden beneath, inside, behind and everywhere else concerning other conspiracies, you are doing it wrong <.<

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.