IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skillsofts and Bipedal Drones, skillwires necessary?
mercurywave
post Apr 9 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,931

Okay, so i was reading the skillwires topic and was wondering, would a rigger need to have skillwires in order to use an active soft through his bipedal drone??

On p239 BBB it states for jumped-in:
A drone controlled in this manner acts on the rigger’s
Initiative—the rigger and the drone are treated as a single unit.
Any tests are made using the rigger’s own skill and attributes.

When jumped-in or RCing a drone the rigger is able to use their dodge, infiltrate, and other such skills, so would skillwires be necessary for a rigger to do such things as first aid (activesoft) with their bipedal drone?

For skill networking p193 Unwired, it says that both recipients need skillwires, does the Control Rig replace this system? Can Activesofts be used through it?

Watcha'll think partners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 9 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (mercurywave @ Apr 8 2009, 08:56 PM) *
Okay, so i was reading the skillwires topic and was wondering, would a rigger need to have skillwires in order to use an active soft through his bipedal drone??

On p239 BBB it states for jumped-in:
A drone controlled in this manner acts on the rigger’s
Initiative—the rigger and the drone are treated as a single unit.
Any tests are made using the rigger’s own skill and attributes.

When jumped-in or RCing a drone the rigger is able to use their dodge, infiltrate, and other such skills, so would skillwires be necessary for a rigger to do such things as first aid (activesoft) with their bipedal drone?

For skill networking p193 Unwired, it says that both recipients need skillwires, does the Control Rig replace this system? Can Activesofts be used through it?

Watcha'll think partners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

the cyborg modification to drones includes a somewhat modified skillwire system in it.

so the short answer is that the control rig doesn't replace skillwires for drones.

the long answer is that you can get drone versions of skillwires which are extremely expensive (and arguably only usable by cyborgs, but that's debateable at best imo), but you need special skillsofts if you use a non-standard form.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 9 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

I don't even know what you guys are saying...

Skill Networking is only for two people who have skillwires that want to share skillsofts. Think of it as a more cost-effective way of getting two emergency medics (pay for the 'soft once and get two people networking the skill).

Rigging doesn't care about skillsofts at all. If I take a Magician with a trode net that has gunnery 4, a tricked-out comm, and a Steel Lynx that has an Ares Alpha mounted on it, then he uses his Gunnery 4 skill (in lieu of the drone's skill, if any) to shoot while jumped into the drone.

Control Rigs only add +2 dice to tests while jumped in; they are not required for rigging.

Now, if you were remote controlling a drone, the drone uses its own skills. You're saying "go here, do this, do that" and it responds to the best of its abilities. No skillsofts required. It needs Autosofts instead.

Skillsofts are skills that people utilize through skillwires.

Autosofts are pre-programmed skills for drones only.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 9 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 8 2009, 11:15 PM) *
I don't even know what you guys are saying...

that probably explains why you answered the wrong question.

his question is "can i use skillsofts through a rigged drone if i don't have skillwires, since the physical portion of skillsofts would logically not apply to controlling a drone with your mind"

and like i said, the short version is "you still need skillwires" and the longer version (incorporating extra stuff from augmentation/arsenal) is that you can modify a drone such that the drone has the equivalent of skillwires that a rigger can use, but it only explicitly works for cyborgs and it costs a ton (mind you, it doesn't specify that only cyborgs can use it, it's just that it's part of the cyborg adaptation mod and is not found elsewhere).

personally, were i GMing, i would probably allow a mod that just does the skillwires part of cyborg adaptation for a lower price than the cyborg adaptation (but at a greater cost than skillwires, since it's newer tech), but there is nothing allowing that as such.

+Quote Post
mercurywave
post Apr 9 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 16,931

Where my question i suppose truly lies is here...

is it possible to use other skills through a drone besides the common DODGE, INFILTRATE, GUNNERY, skills? Such as FIRST AID, LOCKPICKING, ETC...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 10 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

QUOTE (mercurywave @ Apr 9 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Where my question i suppose truly lies is here...

is it possible to use other skills through a drone besides the common DODGE, INFILTRATE, GUNNERY, skills? Such as FIRST AID, LOCKPICKING, ETC...

provided you have the appropriate equipment, yes. it is explicity possible using the command program to remote control drones, and i can't for the life of me imagine why it wouldn't be allowed while rigging, so long as the drone is appropriately modified (ie to pick a lock you would either need special machinery(lockpicks) or hands, to do first aid you would either need a built-in medkit, valkryie, or whatever, or you could have external tools + hands, and so forth)

in fact, now i think of it, medical skills are explicitly allowed to be performed using rigged drones, and iirc in such situations count as vehicle skills for the purpose of the control rig bonus. it's in the entry for the various medical stations and such in augmentation iirc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.