IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Street Cred and Notoriety, Do you use it?
Backgammon
post Apr 9 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I'm just curious to see if any groups use the Sreet Cred and Notoriety mechanisms. I was reading the rule just now. Sreet Cred in particular, you divide your Karma earned by 10 and add that as a bonus to any Social pool (with poeple aware of your street rep). That's insanely powerful. However, the text also hints this can be used by NPCs as well (why not!). That's an interesting asset in the GM's bag of trick for Social dominance...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Apr 9 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,350

I have my group's PC's track it, though I don't often allow the bonus to be applied. I do use it as a gauge for how much they advanced in their Shadowrunning "career" and what kind of jobs they should be getting as a result.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Apr 9 2009, 03:06 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

I haven't used them. My personal gripe isn't with them so much as it is with Public Awareness. You can literally go from unknown to on every beat-cop's list in a few runs, even if you keep your nose clean.

That said, I have used them w/o Public Awareness as a gauge for what type of work the team gets.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Apr 9 2009, 03:26 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

I really like the concept (numerically defining renown and publicity), but the rules aren't all that usable, sadly.
As you've already said, the RAW dice pool boni quickly overshadow everything else. You can easily get 10+ dice for social tests, which is more than an emotoy gives you and those furbies-from-hell are rightfully scorned around here.

+Quote Post
LamplightSlasher
post Apr 9 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 17,056

I agree with the posters who use it as a job quality tracker. Maybe some kind of secondary "Law Enforcment Attention" statistic could be derived to track just how aware of the players all the big wigs would be.

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 9 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

2000 yen for some bio sculpting helps a lot with the public awareness and you just drop your credentials when necessary.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 9 2009, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Dragnar @ Apr 9 2009, 11:26 AM) *
I really like the concept (numerically defining renown and publicity), but the rules aren't all that usable, sadly.
As you've already said, the RAW dice pool boni quickly overshadow everything else. You can easily get 10+ dice for social tests, which is more than an emotoy gives you and those furbies-from-hell are rightfully scorned around here.

How quickly does your group get karma? RAW dice pool boni quickly overshadow everything else?

PA and other Reputation rules require the character you are interacting with to connect the rep with the person.

+Quote Post
Andinel
post Apr 9 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,609

Keep in mind that the bonus dice from street cred can never exceed your Charisma, and that you don't apply street cred but the street cred difference to your dice pool. So if someone has more cred than you, you aren't getting any extra dice. Even if you do have more extra dice, unless you play a high-CHA character, you won't be getting too many that actually can go to your test.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 9 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I would use street cred as a general guage, but the mechanics are so messed up that it falls apart when you try to use it for more than that. Things like incompetence affecting notoriety, and notoriety affecting intimidation rolls. "That guy can't shoot a pistol to save his life - that's scary!"

+Quote Post
crazyconscript
post Apr 9 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,906

Yep, we make use of Street Cred/Notoriety/Public Awareness in our games anyway. Because of the threat of becoming more publicly known if they do really obvious drek the players tend to be much more aware of the consequences of their actions.
And the key thing with street cred is that it is only applicable to people who are aware of your rep

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Apr 9 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

I have not looked at the changes in SR4A, but....

Do you still need to cack someone in a crowded subway, on national television, with explosives periodically to gain loads of notoriety to reduce you public awareness?

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Apr 9 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

I don't think we've really used it that much. Probably, the group's face has used his sreet cred to help buy stuff.

Overall though, I consider it an indicator of how impressive your name is when it starts getting dropped. For example...

"Oh, Lurch, how you doin' big guy? Please don't break my arms. No, sir, I didn't mean nothing my that. *eep*" (high notoriety)

"Mr. Fin! Where you been hiding, man? Let's go get some beers! Oh, you're here for business? Well, check these babies out, mil-spec, just in from my best supplier. Of course, you get friend prices." (high street cred)

"OMG! OMG! OMG! Look guys! Its Nadja Davar! Can I have your autograph? Hey Nadja, is it true what they say about your..." (high public awareness)

"Joey? Joey The Shoe? Get the fuck out of my face before I throw you down an elevator shaft onto some bullets, you worthless slag." (low everything)

-paws

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Apr 9 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

We dont use it as a pool but we do use the idea but set out so that our rep is in fact a target number someone who might be in the know has to know who we are. - and of course I am playing SR3 so this might be to be adapted into success for SR4. The base varies on the person, so for example, if a Johnson was asked who our group was the base TN would be perhaps 10-14, A barman in our main running area might be 12-16. Joe bloggs from out of town would be 20+

Now to reduce this target number it is based upon total karma earnt divided by i think either 50 or 100 (my GM works it all out, Im not 100% on the figures). It is then split into individual rep and group rep. Group rep is the average of the total individual rep.

So for example, my character has 751 karma (we have been playing this campaign for a VERY long time). Thus an in-the-know Johnson would need a TN of 3 to have heard of me. My team has an average karma of about 600 and so a TN of 4 would be needed to have heard of the group.

Essentially, people in Pinehurst Everett, our stomping ground know not to mess with us. Most people have heard of our antics and know we are pretty tough. Go outside of Everett and the rep is less known. I think my GM even runs a International Rep as well.

Idea for you to incorporate if you like it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Apr 9 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Cardul @ Apr 9 2009, 05:10 AM) *
Do you still need to cack someone in a crowded subway, on national television, with explosives periodically to gain loads of notoriety to reduce you public awareness?

I think you've misread something. Notoriety and Public Awareness are increased for doing things like that. There is a rule where Street Cred can be "burnt" to reduce Notoriety at a rate of 2 for 1. Public Awareness is based on the sum of Street Cred and Notoriety, so increasing Notoriety will increase Public Awareness.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 9 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #15

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

I think if you want to use it, the GM would basically have to apply it to every NPC as well. It would make life for players pretty hard until they got more street cred under their belt as pretty much every underworld NPCs would be throwing 2-3 extra dice consistently. The mechanism pretty much ends up as the only aspect of Shadowrun that ends up as a "level up" perk. In SR, when you build a character, the personality and background you chose can be anything - you can say he's been running for years, or not. If you use Street Cred, there is no way around the fact that he's a noob, or an out pf towner strating fresh, since you can't buy it as a stat. So in that regard it seems very disconnected with the rest of the character stats system.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Apr 9 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Backgammon @ Apr 9 2009, 09:29 AM) *
In SR, when you build a character, the personality and background you chose can be anything - you can say he's been running for years, or not. If you use Street Cred, there is no way around the fact that he's a noob, or an out pf towner strating fresh, since you can't buy it as a stat. So in that regard it seems very disconnected with the rest of the character stats system.

That's exactly why I like it. I don't mind my players starting skilled, but when they begin in my campaign they are just beginning their careers in the shadows, at least in that location. With Street Cred I have a solid reason (as GM) to reject a player's insistence that every NPC should be fawning all over them because they wrote a cool background story.

+Quote Post
ICPiK
post Apr 9 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,909

I think it's a pretty awesome aspect of the karma rules to keep runners in check and aware of the ripples they may make in whatever pond they do business in.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Apr 9 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

As a GM, I have generally been using it to note how well respected they are with their fixer. This is done at the PC not the group level however. The other point about it is it only applies to the people who know the runners. This is where it gets difficule for the PCs.

Street cred is how much people veiw them as professionals (based on karma earned which should reflect successful runs).

Public Awareness: how much the general public knows about them (Based a little on street cred, but not much, mostly how visable they have been-not a good thing!!).

Notoriety: How well, how evel or stupid are you. Gained by fragging up a run, doing something publicly and stupid, excessive carnage, or killing for no reason.

How this affects the PCs:

Street cred is good, it may help you land a job or it may help you find that epensive piece of gear. It also helps when working with your contacts (I don't always apply the modifier though as it may not be applicable to some of the contacts, furthermore I don't usually use it in tests because I forget it is there and no one calls me on it).

Public Awareness: Does average Joe know who you are? Is also and indicator if LS may also know you too.

Notoriety: Does lone star want you (And not as a recruit)? Do your contacts trust you? Does your fixer think you are valuable to the team?

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Apr 9 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (Malachi @ Apr 9 2009, 10:25 AM) *
I think you've misread something. Notoriety and Public Awareness are increased for doing things like that. There is a rule where Street Cred can be "burnt" to reduce Notoriety at a rate of 2 for 1. Public Awareness is based on the sum of Street Cred and Notoriety, so increasing Notoriety will increase Public Awareness.

Right, so you need to get notoriety in order to reduce your street cred..so, you need to do stuff that gets you notoriety to reduce your street cred so you can keep a low public awareness rating...

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Apr 10 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Cardul @ Apr 9 2009, 12:29 PM) *
Right, so you need to get notoriety in order to reduce your street cred..so, you need to do stuff that gets you notoriety to reduce your street cred so you can keep a low public awareness rating...

Umm, no.

If you are being sarcastic, my apologies, but I can't tell.

If not, then here is how this works:

Street Cred = karma / 10, round down

Notoriety = stupid things, mostly

Public Awareness = (Street Cred + Notoriety ) / 3

If Notoriety goes up, then so does Public Awareness.

[Street Cred + (increased) Notoriety] / 3 = (increased) Public Awareness

At no point does Notoriety subtract from your Street Cred. Your Notoriety can overshadow your Street Cred in certain situations but it does not reduce it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 10 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Well, it'll be interesting to see how things are affected when I pick up my campaing again.

One of the PCs just signed his life away to Horizon as a Rap Star in order to get a lot of help needed from a Orxploitation Gangsta Rapper Contact... On the bright side, he's got a real SIN now. Which means real rights!

The joys of Shadowrunning in L.A. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
Andinel
post Apr 10 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,609

I think what Cardul is trying to say is that by gaining notoriety, you can burn street cred. So if you have 12 street cred and get 3 notoriety somehow, your public awareness would be 5. But if you burn 6 street cred to get rid of that notoriety, your street cred drops to 6, notoriety to 0, and (somehow) public awareness to 2. This doesn't make much sense. The way that my GM handles it is that only non-activity or paying someone can lower public awareness, even if street cred and notoriety go down.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Apr 10 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Andinel @ Apr 9 2009, 06:45 PM) *
I think what Cardul is trying to say is that by gaining notoriety, you can burn street cred. So if you have 12 street cred and get 3 notoriety somehow, your public awareness would be 5. But if you burn 6 street cred to get rid of that notoriety, your street cred drops to 6, notoriety to 0, and (somehow) public awareness to 2. This doesn't make much sense. The way that my GM handles it is that only non-activity or paying someone can lower public awareness, even if street cred and notoriety go down.

OK, I see what you are saying. It flies in the face of how I would run my game but, by RAW, I can see the attractiveness from a numbers point of view.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 10 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Backgammon @ Apr 8 2009, 09:40 PM) *
I'm just curious to see if any groups use the Sreet Cred and Notoriety mechanisms.
no, we don't

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 10 2009, 01:56 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Andinel @ Apr 8 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Keep in mind that the bonus dice from street cred can never exceed your Charisma, and that you don't apply street cred but the street cred difference to your dice pool. So if someone has more cred than you, you aren't getting any extra dice. Even if you do have more extra dice, unless you play a high-CHA character, you won't be getting too many that actually can go to your test.

This...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.