IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Heavy manipulation of local mana levels", WTF?
Tanegar
post Apr 11 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

I picked up Street Magic today. On page 119, in the "Mana Anomalies" section, it mentions that the government of Aztlan has engaged and/or is engaging in "heavy manipulation of local mana levels" in Aztlan. What does this mean? What are those wacky human-sacrificing Azzies up to down there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eleint
post Apr 11 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 17,063

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 11 2009, 02:15 AM) *
I picked up Street Magic today. On page 119, in the "Mana Anomalies" section, it mentions that the government of Aztlan has engaged and/or is engaging in "heavy manipulation of local mana levels" in Aztlan. What does this mean? What are those wacky human-sacrificing Azzies up to down there?

Well, there's advanced metamagic to cleanse an area of background count and so on. I daresay there's probably some method through which one can use blood magic to induce an insta-high background count or even increase magic in the area. If you're willing to commit mass murder, which Aztlan is.

+Quote Post
TonkaTuff
post Apr 11 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,729

The powers behind Aztlan have been doing stuff like that since at least the late 2050's - mostly through blood magic, ritually linking their teocalli pyramids, and the use of 2nd or 4th world artifacts called Loci (big carved hunks of obsidian run through with veins of orichalcum). At least according to novel-fluff. The 'why' seems to be a combination of appeasing their metaplanar masters, increasing their own magical resources for fun and profit, and turning it against their enemies.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 11 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Yeah, at its most basic level, this doesn't require any fancy metamagic. If the Azzies use blood magic repeatedly at a given spot, the background count will increase, aspected to blood magic. That means that they've just made casting blood magic in that area easier. On top of that, Threats details how the Blood Mage Gestalt linked these areas of aspected background count to each other through ritual magic, creating a network of aspected blood magic domains.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 11 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Well, Street Magic also has the Corruption Metamagic, and the Geomancy Metamagic. As long as they have backround count, they can raise it to whatever number they want.

And don't forget that certain acts can cause backround count. So if they do sacrifice people (who knew?!), they can cause their own backround, then Geomancy it to aspect it towards whichever Tradition they want.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 11 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 11 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Well, Street Magic also has the Corruption Metamagic, and the Geomancy Metamagic. As long as they have backround count, they can raise it to whatever number they want.

And don't forget that certain acts can cause backround count. So if they do sacrifice people (who knew?!), they can cause their own backround, then Geomancy it to aspect it towards whichever Tradition they want.

Indeed. There is more to this story.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 11 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Thye might also be manipulating public activity to create a back ground count- like a big state sponsored sporting event or parade. Look at RL North Korea having big rallies to tell the people they're happy.

So maybe the state sponsors a big soccer game and gives away free tickets to workers to attend. A BBQ following one of ther cardiectomy's or a bull fight. That's going to generate a lot of happy peope with good feels, then manipulate that by a trained team who know what to expect and you've got a potetnially wild time

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 11 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 11 2009, 10:46 AM) *
So maybe the state sponsors a big soccer game and gives away free tickets to workers to attend. A BBQ following one of ther cardiectomy's or a bull fight. That's going to generate a lot of happy peope with good feels, then manipulate that by a trained team who know what to expect and you've got a potetnially wild time

Especially when they sacrifice the winning team (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Professeur
post Apr 11 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 15,458

Not the whole team, only the captain. And officially, they're not murdered. They only die soon after the championship, in horrible accidents... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 11 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

"Honest officer, he tripped on the last step and fell right onto my obsidian knife, executed a perfect pirouette, and in the ensuing collapse his heart flew out of the clean hole in his chest to land in that smoking brazier. Could have happened to anybody. I really need to put a rubber strip down, or something."

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

*snickers* ^^

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Apr 11 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Runner

So basically, the Azzies are screwing over the whole world (including themselves, in the long run) for short-term gains? Who else knows about this? And who are these "metaplanar masters" the Azzies answer to?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

The Horrorsâ„¢
And basically: yes, they do.
but they don't see it quite like that.
Just like any of todays Religious Fundamentalists, be it christians, muslims or whatever else, don't see that what they are doing is dumb as shit.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Apr 11 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #14

Runner

Wait, what? Aztlan/Aztechnology are puppets for the Horrors?! The "astral bridge" referred to in the Magic and Death section of Cybertechnology is a link to the Horrors' home metaplane? Why the hell isn't every other nation and corp on Earth pounding the living hell out of the Azzies already?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 11 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Exceptional public relations. Also, things are are not that clear-cut these days.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

And how the hell did you not know about this? O.o
Okay, so you probably did not read the Dragon Heart Trilogy, i can't blame you for that . .
But with Uncle Ancient, or Mr.Fluff impersonate, i thought by now everybody would know ^^

Also: WE know that, IN the World of Shadowrun, nobody really knows anything about Aztechnology, aside from them being evil for some reason.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 11 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

As AH said, Aztechnology's goals, especially since Mr. Darke vanished are not so clear. In fact, I would say that some of the powers in AZT would say that their goals are quite long-term (and not necessarily to the detriment of mankind, believe it or not).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 11 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #18

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 11 2009, 09:06 PM) *
Wait, what? Aztlan/Aztechnology are puppets for the Horrors?! The "astral bridge" referred to in the Magic and Death section of Cybertechnology is a link to the Horrors' home metaplane? Why the hell isn't every other nation and corp on Earth pounding the living hell out of the Azzies already?

"it saddens us to report that a internal investigation have turned up a rogue element within our organization. said element is being removed as we speak, and we will do everything within our powers to make sure that something like this will not happen again."

when your have move employees then some nations have citizens, its easy to say that some subsidiary or department was abusing their powers or acting on their own initiative.

and if you want to be really sneaky, you make sure the connection to the head office is 5 ways removed by way of holding companies, all buried in the small print on page 246 of document 78 in the monthly report.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Apr 11 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 11 2009, 03:01 PM) *
And how the hell did you not know about this? O.o

I tend to stay way from "franchise" novels on general principle, unless it's an author that I know and like. I've read exactly one (1) Shadowrun novel (Worlds Without End), and it was years ago. I might still have in lying around somewhere. I don't remember if it was any good or not, but it didn't really inspire me to go out and pick up more SR novels.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 11 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

SOME of them are pretty good.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 11 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 11 2009, 04:41 PM) *
"it saddens us to report that a internal investigation have turned up a rogue element within our organization. said element is being removed as we speak, and we will do everything within our powers to make sure that something like this will not happen again."

when your have move employees then some nations have citizens, its easy to say that some subsidiary or department was abusing their powers or acting on their own initiative.

and if you want to be really sneaky, you make sure the connection to the head office is 5 ways removed by way of holding companies, all buried in the small print on page 246 of document 78 in the monthly report.

exactly and as runners we know better but in north Aemrica AZT makes most consumer products. imagine if some wacco got on the evening news and said "Executives at Sarah Lee are currently engages in black magic rituals in their corporate board room."

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 11 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

"That Devil's food cake? Real devils man. They're a coven and they summon 'em up, then grind 'em into powder. That's why it rots your teeth. It's sinful!"
"What about their angel food cake?"
"Dude, it's angel's food cake. Just a frickin' cake. Durr."

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 11 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 11 2009, 07:47 PM) *
So basically, the Azzies are screwing over the whole world (including themselves, in the long run) for short-term gains?

Sounds like the business strategy of the average corp to me.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 12 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Apr 11 2009, 06:13 PM) *
Sounds like the business strategy of the average corp to me.

In modern days, yes. The "Buy - Strip - Dump" technique that has gotten us into the economic dung heap today (Along with some REALLY bad banking ideas!) is all for the "What can I get before I have to take my Golden Parachute?".

In Shadowrun, Corporations are NATIONS, not of Land, but of Product. Remember, their people love to work from home so they can "Spend time with the family and not feel like they're neglecting the Corp.". This goes for the Boardrooms as well. The ideal is to get to the top, and stay on top as long as possible.

Yes, it's still about power, personal power at that, but that power comes from the Corporation, and you want it to run your lifetime, your children's lifetime, and longer.

Yes, there might be some guy that wants to screw over the Corp short term, but he's probably planning his extraction in the near future as well, jumping ship to a different Corp.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Apr 12 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 11 2009, 06:01 PM) *
"That Devil's food cake? Real devils man. They're a coven and they summon 'em up, then grind 'em into powder. That's why it rots your teeth. It's sinful!"
"What about their angel food cake?"
"Dude, it's angel's food cake. Just a frickin' cake. Durr."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

AH, you make me laugh.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.