IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Israel in 2072?, what's Going on in the middle East (specifically Israel)
Travaler
post Apr 18 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,034

Any one knows what's going on in Israel and the surounding countries (Jordon, Egypt, Lebanon and Syria) ?

any books featuring that area ?

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 18 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Well, I know Europe pretty much got glassed.

I don't expect that the middle east would have managed to be much better than it is today (even provided 60 years of modernization you still end up with a desert area with a lot of people who wish other people dead, so assuming they don't murder each other into non-existence you end up with the same relative technology gap to the rest of the world (that is, they might have expensive betaware implantations available) and a similar lack of security (aka "none"), heck they might not even have any government!).

Introducing magic and dragons would pretty much only make things worse. Though with probably a stronger religious connection.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 18 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 185

The Middle East was last covered in Shadows of Asia, which described the region circa 2064. Shadows of Europe (2062) also sheds some light on the circumstances of the second EuroWar/Alliance for Allah Jihad (and which nations were involved). There's since been a lot of stuff going down, what with the Crash 2.0 and geopolitical turmoil, but the Caliphate is still going strong according to the information on Dubai (2071) in Corporate Enclaves.

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Apr 18 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

Amusingly, I just asked this on the Chat. Apparently it's stable enough that you can swtill get to the Wailing Wall with a good SIN.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Apr 19 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

Egypt is mentioned in the Lagos section of Feral Cities. It's a moderate (fairly tolerant) Islamic nation with some attraction for technomancers.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 19 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

I don't know much on Israel specificaly but I can tell that the midle east is probably in constant turmuil due to Aden's manipulations of the various factions (the great dragon likes to deal with divided nations to expose him/her(not specified)-self the least possible, kind like a "dividi et imperat" tactic), add that scheming master sheddim controlling religious fanatics and the struggle betwen that family owned local corporation that has the control of the zone and the megas that want to get in; the place can be good for shadow buisness but probably it's not the friendliest.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 19 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Israel kicks sufficient ass that it is unlikely even a Great Dragon can phase them.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Apr 19 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 18 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Well, I know Europe pretty much got glassed.
Huh? The EuroWars were fought with conventional weapons. Libya was actually glassed by Israel but that was in the "10 Minute War" of 2004. There are some irradiated areas in Europe but mostly due to power plant meltdowns.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Apr 19 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Apr 19 2009, 04:41 AM) *
Egypt is mentioned in the Lagos section of Feral Cities. It's a moderate (fairly tolerant) Islamic nation with some attraction for technomancers.
Note: SR's Egypt is much larger than today as it annexed the nuclear rubble of former Libya when the UN troops moved out in 2014.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 19 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 19 2009, 05:29 AM) *
Huh? The EuroWars were fought with conventional weapons. Libya was actually glassed by Israel but that was in the "10 Minute War" of 2004. There are some irradiated areas in Europe but mostly due to power plant meltdowns.

My mistake. I haven't read the "global history" in a while and I recalled seeing someone else make the statement on the forum. I did recall that Europe was mostly inhospitable, though.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 19 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #11

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 19 2009, 10:09 AM) *
Israel kicks sufficient ass that it is unlikely even a Great Dragon can phase them.

Well IIRC they actually had one backing/heavily invested in them for quite a while.

+Quote Post
Skarn Ka
post Apr 19 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,022

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 19 2009, 09:32 AM) *

...while losing the pretty big chunk that is the Sinai Peninsula to their Eastern neighbor...

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 19 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #13

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Yeah that was one of the things that struck me as slightly weird. Not that the chapter wasn't well done but it's not how I play the situation in my games, it and some other things just struck me as a little to nicery-nicey for my personal tastes.

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post Apr 20 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

Shadowrun is actually pretty nicey-nicey if you look at it too hard. Classic racism evaporates in favor of "I and my brother against my cousin"? Major religions go from "she's a witch, BURN HER" to "magicians and metahumans are people, too" in a few years? If it weren't for the fact that the megacorps are businesses, SR wouldn't be very dystopian.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Apr 20 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Synner @ Apr 18 2009, 12:53 PM) *
The Middle East was last covered in Shadows of Asia, which described the region circa 2064. Shadows of Europe (2062) also sheds some light on the circumstances of the second EuroWar/Alliance for Allah Jihad (and which nations were involved). There's since been a lot of stuff going down, what with the Crash 2.0 and geopolitical turmoil, but the Caliphate is still going strong according to the information on Dubai (2071) in Corporate Enclaves.

Loose Alliances also has some info on major Islamic movements/factions such as theIslami Unity Movement, New Islamic Jihad (I just put this message on the NSA radar!!!-), and Islamic Rennassaince Movement. Also has some details on their relations with the rest of the world.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.