+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 23 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (Dwight @ Apr 23 2009, 06:47 AM) *

Cool, maybe even better that the biological fuel cell that poped up sometimes ago.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 24 2009, 05:18 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

I just heard about one that uses the skin's electrical field for energy. They're evidently creating small wireless projector tubes that'll be able to be used as nanotattoos. I'll see if I can find the link.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 24 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

This is on an absolutely tiny scale. It would not be sufficient to power things like a cyberarm, only enough for things like nanotechnology.

+Quote Post
Dwight
post Apr 24 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,795

QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 24 2009, 09:20 AM) *
This is on an absolutely tiny scale. It would not be sufficient to power things like a cyberarm, only enough for things like nanotechnology.

Depends somewhat on how well it scales up. However that said, besides nanoware, cyberware itself uses nanotechnology. This power source wouldn't be in the ballpark for sufficient power for functions like moving limbs, that takes a serious amount of power. A level that is problematic for even the previously mentioned synthetic biological sources, due to the math of how to get that many calories into your system. However for more sensor and light duty computational based cyberware it might be sufficient.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 24 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #6

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Dwight @ Apr 24 2009, 11:41 AM) *
Depends somewhat on how well it scales up.

It doesn't scale up - likt eha rticle says, it's limited to nano-tubes. You perhaps, maybe, could get it a little larger by using an element or molecule larger than carbon. I don't know, I'm not a chemist. But it's still a looong way to go.

However, you're correct, we could argue it sufficient for more passive systems, such as cyber-eyes.

+Quote Post
Dwight
post Apr 24 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 24 2009, 11:27 AM) *
It doesn't scale up

The battery in a car is based on chemistry that only provides a 2.1V potential. However it is a "12V" battery. It does this by hooking a number of them is series. It scaled up the basic physical chemistry effect by configuring a number of them to work together.

EDIT: Of course there is the matter of how to get the energy to drive the water through the tube. I wonder if sweating might be the way to do this in a body.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 24 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

This technology (if we can call it that) seems to convert part of the kinetic energy of the water molecules into electricity, it could take advantage of the bloodstream but it could cause problems if used for producing alot of energy, however it could be very usefull for applications that require very low power and voltage, neural interfaces come to my mind as the best candidate to make use of this technology (cyberlimbs can simply have energy storages into them and a jack for an external charger).

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Apr 24 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

It's really exploiting natural forces (in this case, the inherent nature of the oxygen and hydrogen atoms).

The future of power generation will require that we do such things rather than rely on fossil fuels. I just hope it happens sooner than later. There are some really strange things one can accomplish with magnets that exploit the natural resting state of their fields.

+Quote Post
Dwight
post Apr 24 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Apr 24 2009, 12:16 PM) *
This technology (if we can call it that)

It isn't that yet. Technology would the [useful] harnessing of this phenomena.
seems to convert part of the kinetic energy of the water molecules into electricity, it could take advantage of the bloodstream but it could cause problems if used for producing alot of energy, however it could be very usefull for applications that require very low power and voltage, neural interfaces come to my mind as the best candidate to make use of this technology

I was thinking about using the hydraulic energy in the bloodstream but messing about with lowering the energy in blood flow doesn't seem like a very good idea. Unless you altered the arteries from the heart to where you tapped off the extra energy so that the net result was normal blood flow.

I like the idea of using evaporation because you are tapping "waste" energy.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Apr 24 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dwight @ Apr 24 2009, 09:18 PM) *
I was thinking about using the hydraulic energy in the bloodstream

Which would be the kinetic energy of the fluid.

QUOTE (Dwight @ Apr 24 2009, 09:18 PM) *
I like the idea of using evaporation because you are tapping "waste" energy.

This would be an actualy very good application.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.