Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Writing the Mega-Corporation Realistically
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 23 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Science fiction writer Jason Stoddard posted an article on his blog that we here on Dumpshock might find interesting: Advice to Writers on Creating Realistic Mega-Conglomerates. It does disagree with a number of Shadowrun megacorps (*cough*Aztechnology*cough*).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Apr 23 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

Interesting read and actually true in the real world. However, SR has never tried to be realistic.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Apr 23 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

/me facepalms.

Before I read this fine link, can you answer a few questions?

1. Does it come from an assumption of a Japanese Corporate takeover of the world, fueled by 1980's paranoia?
  2. Does it account for an uneven distribution of power at the return of magic?
  3. Does it account for the return of magic?
  4. Does it account for the expression of distinct metahuman races?
  5. Does it account for ancient powers and conspiracies?

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Apr 23 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

No to all. It is focused on writing 'realistic' mega-corps.

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Apr 23 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

Wait, ye... oh... no, it doesn't. Still a good article, though.

The "diabolical corporation" is a sci-fi cliche. This is an indisputable fact. How a writer uses that cliche determines if it's an interesting story or not.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Apr 23 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

I have always assumed that Shadowrun started with an end-result world in mind (big evil corporations, magic, dragons) and then reverse-rationalized reasons for that result existing. This often results in logic holes when one starts at the reverse-engineered reason(s) and tries to "re-engineer" them into the resulting game world. I'm okay with this, because I like the results and I'm not particularly interested in a perfectly "realistic" world.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Apr 23 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Uh. And I was expecting some long article covering shareholding structures, markets' revenues vs. profits ratio and public infrastructure cost vs. value.

Of course, in real life, corporate excutives rarely get a call from outer plane monstruosities asking them to open the door (Larry Ellison does not count !).

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Apr 23 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 23 2009, 06:25 AM) *
Science fiction writer Jason Stoddard posted an article on his blog that we here on Dumpshock might find interesting: Advice to Writers on Creating Realistic Mega-Conglomerates. It does disagree with a number of Shadowrun megacorps (*cough*Aztechnology*cough*).

Even Aztechnology is trying to make money. They are trying to run all other business out of town so they are the only company left. That way people are forced to buy their products and they can get rid of money waisting departments like marketing and PR. A monopoly is the ultimate goal of any corporation (big or small). When you have no one else to answer to and people have no where else to turn, your profit security is assured.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Apr 23 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 23 2009, 09:05 AM) *
Of course, in real life, corporate excutives rarely get a call from outer plane monstruosities asking them to open the door (Larry Ellison does not count !).

I worked in the shadow of his empire for three years. He counts. Ask any SUN employee...

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Apr 23 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Meh, I don't see anything in that article that really contradicts Aztechnology as a whole as long as you consider/assume a couple of things:

1) Aztechnology also controls a country in which it is (essentially) the only "legal" corporation. They have a virtual monopoly on supply within their realm, therefore, it is in the best interest of maximizing profit that they expand the borders of that country in order to gain more exclusive market(s).

2) I had assumed that the whole "let's release the horrors" thing was a conspiracy only at the very highest levels. It wasn't like they issued an all-employees corporate memo letting people know that the new Mission Statement was "Let's end the world by bringing in the Horrors" (Complete with weekend workshops and retreats!) Why would people at the highest levels make a pact with evil forces? Why does any villain do what they do? They were probably promised power.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.